- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Jackson's fans are true-blue through it all
To the editor:
Bob Miller's column "Move was worth it, Mario" describing some of the things that Mario Whitney had to endure was a column that was long overdue. I have been following Mario since he started for the Jackson High School football Indians in 1999. When I saw him outrun opposing defenses as a sophomore, I knew that Jackson had a very talented young player on its hands. What I didn't expect was some of the vitriolic comments made by a tiny number of fans who had no idea what Mario was going through. Many people did not realize that Mario played last season injured. Despite being hurt, he still managed to give what he could to help the team win all of their games except the last game of the season.
To hear about fans "wishing Mario would get hurt" sickens me and did not represent the majority of fans. The reason for my letter is to let Mario, his family and his teammates know that there are those of us who attend every game and cheer on Mario and his teammates no matter if they win or lose. Our love for Mario and all of the Jackson football players has been and always will be unwavering. What makes us so dedicated is the commitment that we see from the team, the players and the coaches to excel. That is what a true fan is there for.