1. Letters on topics of general public interest are welcomed.
2. All letters to be considered for publication must include the name and address of the the writer and a daytime telephone number where the writer may be reached during normal business hours.
3. All letters must be signed. The name and town of the writer will be published.
4. Letters on topics of general public interest must be 250 words or less.
5. Letters may be mailed, faxed or e-mailed. The mail address is Letters, Southeast Missourian, P.O. Box 699, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702. The fax number is 573-334-7288. The e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Only one letter of general public interest each month from writers who submit more than one letter a month will be considered for publication.
7. Regarding letters about candidates: All letters of endorsement of or in opposition to candidates, as well as letters from or about candidates, will be published as Paid Election Letters and are subject to a fee of $25 for up to 100 words, plus an additional 50 cents per word beyond 100. Paid Election Letters are published on Mondays and Thursdays in the Southeast Missourian. All Paid Election letters received by 5 p.m. Tuesday will be published the following Thursday. All Paid Election letters received by 5 p.m. Thursday will be published the following Monday. To ensure publication, all last-minute Paid Election Letters must be received by 5 p.m. Tuesday one week before an election. Paid Election Letters submitted to the Marble Hill Banner Press must be received by 5 p.m. Friday to appear in the Wednesday paper. Paid Election Letters submitted to the Scott County Signal must be received by 5 p.m. Tuesday to appear in the Sunday paper. The final deadline to submit a Paid Election Letter for the Banner Press or Signal is two weeks before an election. Paid Election Letters for the Banner Press and Signal are $25 for up to 100 words, plus an additional 25 cents per word beyond 100. Paid Election Letters are to be paid for by the letter writer. If paid by another entity, that information must be stated properly according to election laws. Payment for the appropriate amount must be received before a Paid Election Letter will be published. Paid Election Letters must include the writer's complete mailing address, which will be published with the letter as required by Missouri election laws.
8. Letters regarding ballot issues other than candidates are subject to the same guidelines as letters on topics of general public interest. The deadline for ballot-issue letters is 5 p.m. Tuesday one week before an election.
9. These guidelines notwithstanding, the editor will make the final determination on the suitability of all letters submitted for publication.