- The message to the President I would have given (9/12/18)12
- 'Castle house' on Kingsway demolished (9/12/18)9
- Judge disqualifies three Scott Co. prosecutors from case for violation (9/13/18)2
- Penzel picked for new Cape County Courthouse; plans unveiled (9/15/18)4
- Trump visit to Cape is canceled (9/12/18)18
- Too many people feel justified to behave badly (9/13/18)21
- New strip mall under construction in Jackson (9/12/18)
- Multiple-vehicle wreck Saturday on Interstate 55 (9/17/18)2
- Frank (the Fighter) Bertrand lives on through parents, foundation (9/15/18)
- Krispy Kreme franchise owner fills in holes of rumors regarding location, employment (9/19/18)1
Troubling attitude toward Russia
Recently a picture appeared of two individuals attending a Trump rally wearing t-shirts which said, "I'd rather be a Russian than Democrat." While this may be meant as a joke, I still find it troubling. Russia under Vladimir Putin has done the following:
* Limited the independence of the judiciary;
* Limited the right to have freedom of conscience and religion;
* Limited the right to have freedom of expression;
* Limited the right to have freedom of association and assembly;
* Limited protection from discrimination.
During Putin's administration Russia has engaged in the following foreign adventures:
* A 2008 invasion of the country of Georgia;
* Taking the Crimea away from Ukraine in 2014;
* Sending troops into southeastern Ukraine to support the anti-government side in a civil war and then lying about doing so;
* Providing military aid and support to a dictatorship in Syria which in order to stay in power has engaged in crimes against humanity.
Russia has also engaged in the following activities:
* Hacked into the 2016 United States National Election with a view toward influencing its outcome;
* Is hacking into the 2018 United States National Election with a view toward influencing its outcome.
In spite of Russia's authoritarian behavior, and adverse actions toward the United States, a substantial number of Republicans have no problem with it. A Yahoo poll conducted in late July found that 40 percent of Republicans would be okay with Russian interference in a U.S. election if it helped their side. This should be unacceptable to all patriotic Americans.
JOHN PIEPHO, Cape Girardeau