- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)16
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)12
A social-welfare state
During the past four years, President Obama's administration has heavily promoted easy access to free government programs and welfare.
Single women voted for Obama by nearly 67 percent and a report by the American Enterprise Institute, using information from Pennsylvania's Public Welfare Department, revealed the following: A single mom with two children is now better off with a job making $29,000 with government welfare, rather than a $69,000 job without government welfare.
By keeping the lower paying job, this mother has access to food stamps, daycare, child health care, school lunch programs, subsidized Section 8 low income rent, earned income tax credits and needy family assistance programs. She ends up with more disposable income at $29,000 than the mother who has worked her way up the ladder to the $69,000 job.
In a New York Times article by Nicholas Kristof, numerous poor parents in Appalachian hill country in Kentucky are pulling their kids out of literacy classes in order to keep a $689 monthly Supplemental Security Income (SSI) check per kid. These checks will continue until the children are 18, as long as they continue to struggle in school. A 2009 study shows that two-thirds of these children, after turning 18, will stay on government programs.
If we want Americans to regain their personal pride, independence and self-reliance, it's imperative that in 2014 we regain control of both the House and Senate and keep President Obama in check until 2016. Otherwise, we become a permanent European social welfare state.
WILLIAM PIERCEY SR., Jackson