- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- New regents president named after Knudtson decides not to seek second term (12/18/17)
- Southeast rings bell for 807 December graduates (12/18/17)
Thanks for picking up trash
I would like to thank everyone who participated in our fourth annual "Bashin' Trash" event on April 17. I really appreciate the time and effort from the 71 participants who collected approximately 61 bags of trash and many other large items that wouldn't fit in trash bags from Cape LaCroix Creek between Route W and Shawnee Sports Complex. This was definitely a communitywide effort that included families, Girl Scouts, First Presbyterian Church, Modern Woodmen of America Youth, Alpha Phi Omega and Cape Girardeau Alternative School, as well as Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center teen club members, volunteers and staff. Everyone reported seeing less trash in the creek this year, which means we are not unhappy with collecting nearly 40 bags fewer than last year.
I would also like to thank the Southeast Missourian, KRCU and KFVS12 for publicizing the event, the Volunteer Intergenerational Center and Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce for recruiting volunteers and Brock Davis of the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department for providing the lunches and T-shirts.
SARA TURNER, Manager, Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center