- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)23
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)5
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Thanks for picking up trash
I would like to thank everyone who participated in our fourth annual "Bashin' Trash" event on April 17. I really appreciate the time and effort from the 71 participants who collected approximately 61 bags of trash and many other large items that wouldn't fit in trash bags from Cape LaCroix Creek between Route W and Shawnee Sports Complex. This was definitely a communitywide effort that included families, Girl Scouts, First Presbyterian Church, Modern Woodmen of America Youth, Alpha Phi Omega and Cape Girardeau Alternative School, as well as Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center teen club members, volunteers and staff. Everyone reported seeing less trash in the creek this year, which means we are not unhappy with collecting nearly 40 bags fewer than last year.
I would also like to thank the Southeast Missourian, KRCU and KFVS12 for publicizing the event, the Volunteer Intergenerational Center and Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce for recruiting volunteers and Brock Davis of the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department for providing the lunches and T-shirts.
SARA TURNER, Manager, Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center