- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Thanks for picking up trash
I would like to thank everyone who participated in our fourth annual "Bashin' Trash" event on April 17. I really appreciate the time and effort from the 71 participants who collected approximately 61 bags of trash and many other large items that wouldn't fit in trash bags from Cape LaCroix Creek between Route W and Shawnee Sports Complex. This was definitely a communitywide effort that included families, Girl Scouts, First Presbyterian Church, Modern Woodmen of America Youth, Alpha Phi Omega and Cape Girardeau Alternative School, as well as Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center teen club members, volunteers and staff. Everyone reported seeing less trash in the creek this year, which means we are not unhappy with collecting nearly 40 bags fewer than last year.
I would also like to thank the Southeast Missourian, KRCU and KFVS12 for publicizing the event, the Volunteer Intergenerational Center and Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce for recruiting volunteers and Brock Davis of the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department for providing the lunches and T-shirts.
SARA TURNER, Manager, Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center