- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Thanks for picking up trash
I would like to thank everyone who participated in our fourth annual "Bashin' Trash" event on April 17. I really appreciate the time and effort from the 71 participants who collected approximately 61 bags of trash and many other large items that wouldn't fit in trash bags from Cape LaCroix Creek between Route W and Shawnee Sports Complex. This was definitely a communitywide effort that included families, Girl Scouts, First Presbyterian Church, Modern Woodmen of America Youth, Alpha Phi Omega and Cape Girardeau Alternative School, as well as Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center teen club members, volunteers and staff. Everyone reported seeing less trash in the creek this year, which means we are not unhappy with collecting nearly 40 bags fewer than last year.
I would also like to thank the Southeast Missourian, KRCU and KFVS12 for publicizing the event, the Volunteer Intergenerational Center and Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce for recruiting volunteers and Brock Davis of the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department for providing the lunches and T-shirts.
SARA TURNER, Manager, Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center