- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)21
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
Thanks for picking up trash
I would like to thank everyone who participated in our fourth annual "Bashin' Trash" event on April 17. I really appreciate the time and effort from the 71 participants who collected approximately 61 bags of trash and many other large items that wouldn't fit in trash bags from Cape LaCroix Creek between Route W and Shawnee Sports Complex. This was definitely a communitywide effort that included families, Girl Scouts, First Presbyterian Church, Modern Woodmen of America Youth, Alpha Phi Omega and Cape Girardeau Alternative School, as well as Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center teen club members, volunteers and staff. Everyone reported seeing less trash in the creek this year, which means we are not unhappy with collecting nearly 40 bags fewer than last year.
I would also like to thank the Southeast Missourian, KRCU and KFVS12 for publicizing the event, the Volunteer Intergenerational Center and Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce for recruiting volunteers and Brock Davis of the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department for providing the lunches and T-shirts.
SARA TURNER, Manager, Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center