- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
It's time to get back together
To the editor:
Where do we meet? Somewhere between hello and goodbye we met. Somewhere between Scranton and San Francisco there was a meeting. I can't remember it specifically, but at some point we met.
I know that on Sept. 11, 2001, we met. It is vivid. We were all on the same page. Immediately following that we spent a year together. Since then we have drifted apart. Was it something I said? Was it something you did? All I know is that I miss you.
What will it take for us to get back together? More common strife and suffering? Can't we just meet casually on a public street and get together?
I know that when we talk face to face we will see the same thing.
Can we take that home and share it with our friends and family, knowing that we will both remember the same thing we shared? All I know is that I miss you.
I remember that we met several times before Sept. 11, 2001. In 1968 we came together. In 1963 we met in Dallas. In 1945 we met in Japan, just after our 1944 meeting. In 1929 we met at the stock exchange. We had so much in common. All I know is that I miss you.
Somehow we got back together after 1865, and I'm glad we did. Before then we were in this together. Perhaps we were right. All I know is that I miss that 1776 feeling.
KEN SCHAEFER, Cape Girardeau