- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
It's time to get back together
To the editor:
Where do we meet? Somewhere between hello and goodbye we met. Somewhere between Scranton and San Francisco there was a meeting. I can't remember it specifically, but at some point we met.
I know that on Sept. 11, 2001, we met. It is vivid. We were all on the same page. Immediately following that we spent a year together. Since then we have drifted apart. Was it something I said? Was it something you did? All I know is that I miss you.
What will it take for us to get back together? More common strife and suffering? Can't we just meet casually on a public street and get together?
I know that when we talk face to face we will see the same thing.
Can we take that home and share it with our friends and family, knowing that we will both remember the same thing we shared? All I know is that I miss you.
I remember that we met several times before Sept. 11, 2001. In 1968 we came together. In 1963 we met in Dallas. In 1945 we met in Japan, just after our 1944 meeting. In 1929 we met at the stock exchange. We had so much in common. All I know is that I miss you.
Somehow we got back together after 1865, and I'm glad we did. Before then we were in this together. Perhaps we were right. All I know is that I miss that 1776 feeling.
KEN SCHAEFER, Cape Girardeau