- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
It's time to get back together
To the editor:
Where do we meet? Somewhere between hello and goodbye we met. Somewhere between Scranton and San Francisco there was a meeting. I can't remember it specifically, but at some point we met.
I know that on Sept. 11, 2001, we met. It is vivid. We were all on the same page. Immediately following that we spent a year together. Since then we have drifted apart. Was it something I said? Was it something you did? All I know is that I miss you.
What will it take for us to get back together? More common strife and suffering? Can't we just meet casually on a public street and get together?
I know that when we talk face to face we will see the same thing.
Can we take that home and share it with our friends and family, knowing that we will both remember the same thing we shared? All I know is that I miss you.
I remember that we met several times before Sept. 11, 2001. In 1968 we came together. In 1963 we met in Dallas. In 1945 we met in Japan, just after our 1944 meeting. In 1929 we met at the stock exchange. We had so much in common. All I know is that I miss you.
Somehow we got back together after 1865, and I'm glad we did. Before then we were in this together. Perhaps we were right. All I know is that I miss that 1776 feeling.
KEN SCHAEFER, Cape Girardeau