- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
It's time to get back together
To the editor:
Where do we meet? Somewhere between hello and goodbye we met. Somewhere between Scranton and San Francisco there was a meeting. I can't remember it specifically, but at some point we met.
I know that on Sept. 11, 2001, we met. It is vivid. We were all on the same page. Immediately following that we spent a year together. Since then we have drifted apart. Was it something I said? Was it something you did? All I know is that I miss you.
What will it take for us to get back together? More common strife and suffering? Can't we just meet casually on a public street and get together?
I know that when we talk face to face we will see the same thing.
Can we take that home and share it with our friends and family, knowing that we will both remember the same thing we shared? All I know is that I miss you.
I remember that we met several times before Sept. 11, 2001. In 1968 we came together. In 1963 we met in Dallas. In 1945 we met in Japan, just after our 1944 meeting. In 1929 we met at the stock exchange. We had so much in common. All I know is that I miss you.
Somehow we got back together after 1865, and I'm glad we did. Before then we were in this together. Perhaps we were right. All I know is that I miss that 1776 feeling.
KEN SCHAEFER, Cape Girardeau