- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Golden Corral nearing opening; soft open scheduled for Monday or Tuesday (2/12/17)8
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)21
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
Images bring terror into our homes
To the editor:
Video images taken by terrorists at School No. 1 in Beslan, Russia, have been released. Even with today's mind-numbing barrage of violence in the media, I could not help but be stricken with sadness over the faces of the children sitting on that blood-splattered gym floor. Just knowing that most of those souls were later murdered in cold blood is almost too much to bear.
It made me think of my own daughter, who goes to school every day with very few cares. Those images magnify the truth about global terror. It's real. To us, those faces may be nameless, but they are some parent's object of affection.
Those who think a proactive war on terror is wrong for America and the world need only look at these pictures. Evil does exist in this world, and that evil is not the United States. There is a moral right and wrong, and turning a blind eye to this violence is wrong regardless of the "cultural differences" some say westerners can't understand and shouldn't meddle with.
Those who deny America's responsibility to police the world deny our long-term hope for true world peace. We, and every other civilized society in this world, must unite and root this evil out. As the world grows smaller, so do our borders. We are bound more closely than you think.
TONY SMEE, Cape Girardeau