- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Don't forget Teen Challenge needs during holidays
To the editor:
During this busy Christmas season, we make every effort to fulfill the want and need lists of our families and friends, employees and others -- and also keep enough on hand to contribute to the many worthy causes that confront us on a daily basis.
However, let's not forget the real needs of our local Teen Challenge as the staff struggles to keep food on the table each day for approximately 150 boys and men. One of the boys recently confided to his employer for the day that the cooks are constantly in need of fresh food and canned goods, but milk would be especially welcome as it is always in short supply.
A Teen Challenge cook said, "If we had more milk, we could make biscuits and gravy for the boys, and they would love a cake now and then."
Christ Presbyterian Church in Cape Girardeau recently baked dozens of homemade cookies, delivered them and arranged for the donation of 30 gallons of milk to that organization on the same day. While the cookies were gratefully received, the biggest hit of all turned out to be the milk.
If you can donate any food supplies or milk, please give Teen Challenge a call at 335-6508. As an editorial in this newspaper recently stated, "This is an overwhelmingly generous community." Please don't leave Teen Challenge off your Christmas list this year.