- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)12
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
- Missouri governor indicted on invasion of privacy charge (2/23/18)6
Progress on 34/72
Jackson residents no doubt are happy to see the first milestone reached in the widening of Highway 34/72.
Earlier this week, stoplights became operational on the project's first phase, the one-mile stretch between the intersection with Route 25 west and the intersection with West Main Street. After a year of work, four lanes of traffic now speed vehicles along the formerly two-lane route.
Temporary striping will be replaced by permanent striping once the weather warms in the spring.
Two more phases of the project remain. The second phase will widen the two-lane road to four lanes between West Main Street and County Road 335.
The final phase will extend the project from County Road 335 west to the T-intersection where Highway 72 connects with Highway 34.
Phase two hit a roadblock when the high cost of asphalt prevented the contract from being awarded last November. Phase 2 originally was projected to be completed by spring 2007.
The widening project is important to Jackson and its residents, not to mention those who live west of Jackson and use the road to commute to Cape Girardeau. This is a big step in the right direction.