- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Jackson School District giving away bricks from 'Old A' building (6/23/17)2
EDITOR'S NOTE: This editorial has been changed to include the correct time and location of the opening ceremonies.
At 7 p.m. Friday, outside the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau, opening ceremonies will be held for the 700 athletes from across Missouri participating in the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships. In addition to the athletes, 2,000 family members, friends, coaches, game officials and Special Olympics staff members will be in town for the games Saturday and Sunday. The public is invited.
The backdrop for the opening ceremonies will feature large banners containing special greetings from well-wishers. These banners have been on display at several of the event's major sponsors: Procter & Gamble, Southeast Missourian, River Radio Group, KFVS12, Southeast Missouri Hospital, Southeast Missouri State University, AT&T and the city of Cape Girardeau.
Competitions in golf, tennis, softball and other activities will take place at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, Southeast Missouri State University's tennis complex and the Student Recreation Center, Osage Community Centre, Cape Splash and the Arena Building.
The State Outdoor Championships are slated to be in Cape Girardeau for the next four years, thanks in large part to the local sponsors and the 300 volunteers who will be helping at all the events.
Welcome, competitors and all our special guests.