- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
EDITOR'S NOTE: This editorial has been changed to include the correct time and location of the opening ceremonies.
At 7 p.m. Friday, outside the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau, opening ceremonies will be held for the 700 athletes from across Missouri participating in the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships. In addition to the athletes, 2,000 family members, friends, coaches, game officials and Special Olympics staff members will be in town for the games Saturday and Sunday. The public is invited.
The backdrop for the opening ceremonies will feature large banners containing special greetings from well-wishers. These banners have been on display at several of the event's major sponsors: Procter & Gamble, Southeast Missourian, River Radio Group, KFVS12, Southeast Missouri Hospital, Southeast Missouri State University, AT&T and the city of Cape Girardeau.
Competitions in golf, tennis, softball and other activities will take place at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, Southeast Missouri State University's tennis complex and the Student Recreation Center, Osage Community Centre, Cape Splash and the Arena Building.
The State Outdoor Championships are slated to be in Cape Girardeau for the next four years, thanks in large part to the local sponsors and the 300 volunteers who will be helping at all the events.
Welcome, competitors and all our special guests.