- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
EDITOR'S NOTE: This editorial has been changed to include the correct time and location of the opening ceremonies.
At 7 p.m. Friday, outside the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau, opening ceremonies will be held for the 700 athletes from across Missouri participating in the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships. In addition to the athletes, 2,000 family members, friends, coaches, game officials and Special Olympics staff members will be in town for the games Saturday and Sunday. The public is invited.
The backdrop for the opening ceremonies will feature large banners containing special greetings from well-wishers. These banners have been on display at several of the event's major sponsors: Procter & Gamble, Southeast Missourian, River Radio Group, KFVS12, Southeast Missouri Hospital, Southeast Missouri State University, AT&T and the city of Cape Girardeau.
Competitions in golf, tennis, softball and other activities will take place at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, Southeast Missouri State University's tennis complex and the Student Recreation Center, Osage Community Centre, Cape Splash and the Arena Building.
The State Outdoor Championships are slated to be in Cape Girardeau for the next four years, thanks in large part to the local sponsors and the 300 volunteers who will be helping at all the events.
Welcome, competitors and all our special guests.