- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Judge denies order of protection for woman accusing deputy of stalking her (6/23/18)5
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- Stooges in Jackson under new ownership (6/23/18)
- Poplar Bluff nail manufacturer gets hammered by new tariffs on steel (6/22/18)7
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Scott County Sheriff Wes Drury responds to issue involving deputy (6/23/18)2
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
EDITOR'S NOTE: This editorial has been changed to include the correct time and location of the opening ceremonies.
At 7 p.m. Friday, outside the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau, opening ceremonies will be held for the 700 athletes from across Missouri participating in the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships. In addition to the athletes, 2,000 family members, friends, coaches, game officials and Special Olympics staff members will be in town for the games Saturday and Sunday. The public is invited.
The backdrop for the opening ceremonies will feature large banners containing special greetings from well-wishers. These banners have been on display at several of the event's major sponsors: Procter & Gamble, Southeast Missourian, River Radio Group, KFVS12, Southeast Missouri Hospital, Southeast Missouri State University, AT&T and the city of Cape Girardeau.
Competitions in golf, tennis, softball and other activities will take place at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, Southeast Missouri State University's tennis complex and the Student Recreation Center, Osage Community Centre, Cape Splash and the Arena Building.
The State Outdoor Championships are slated to be in Cape Girardeau for the next four years, thanks in large part to the local sponsors and the 300 volunteers who will be helping at all the events.
Welcome, competitors and all our special guests.