- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
- Cape's casino flourishing as it celebrates fifth year (10/22/17)4
EDITOR'S NOTE: This editorial has been changed to include the correct time and location of the opening ceremonies.
At 7 p.m. Friday, outside the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau, opening ceremonies will be held for the 700 athletes from across Missouri participating in the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships. In addition to the athletes, 2,000 family members, friends, coaches, game officials and Special Olympics staff members will be in town for the games Saturday and Sunday. The public is invited.
The backdrop for the opening ceremonies will feature large banners containing special greetings from well-wishers. These banners have been on display at several of the event's major sponsors: Procter & Gamble, Southeast Missourian, River Radio Group, KFVS12, Southeast Missouri Hospital, Southeast Missouri State University, AT&T and the city of Cape Girardeau.
Competitions in golf, tennis, softball and other activities will take place at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, Southeast Missouri State University's tennis complex and the Student Recreation Center, Osage Community Centre, Cape Splash and the Arena Building.
The State Outdoor Championships are slated to be in Cape Girardeau for the next four years, thanks in large part to the local sponsors and the 300 volunteers who will be helping at all the events.
Welcome, competitors and all our special guests.