- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Trade pacts undermine America
To the editor:
It appears that some of our legislators -- U.S. Sen. Kit Bond, U.S. Sen. Jim Talent and U.S. Rep. Kenny Hulshof -- are ardent free traders. If they would bother to poll their constituents, they would find that citizens do not want to erase our borders, allow in a flood of immigrants and destroy our industrial, agricultural and mining bases. The World Trade Organization and its spin-offs, North American Free Trade Agreement and Free Trade Area of the Americas, are already doing these evil things, because the WTO has authority greater than our Congress and Constitution. How did we let this happen? I am completely nonplused as to why our legislators would vote for free-trade treaties that lead to outsourcing millions of good-paying middle-class jobs to slave labor in Third World countries. These treaties also lead to erasing our borders and allowing terrorists, illegal immigrants and drugs into our beloved country. Are these legislators unpatriotic, stupid or what? Thank goodness U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson has changed and begun to vote against free-trade treaties.
Let us all contact our legislators and demand that they stop this madness. They must vote no on the new FTAA treaty, which would wipe out the Unites States of America as we know it.
THOMAS T. HAMILTON, Ironton, Mo.