- Business notebook: Cape salon picked as one of nation's top 200 (4/17/17)
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)9
- New policy for semissourian.com online commentary: No pseudonyms (4/17/17)58
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Going the distance: Several locals participate in Boston Marathon (4/18/17)2
- City wants to put hold on shipping container houses for now (4/17/17)1
- Deputy: Man kicked, broke uncle's ribs after yard-work dispute (4/19/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Scott County: M Kay Supply in Benton fills unique needs in community (4/14/17)
Trade pacts undermine America
To the editor:
It appears that some of our legislators -- U.S. Sen. Kit Bond, U.S. Sen. Jim Talent and U.S. Rep. Kenny Hulshof -- are ardent free traders. If they would bother to poll their constituents, they would find that citizens do not want to erase our borders, allow in a flood of immigrants and destroy our industrial, agricultural and mining bases. The World Trade Organization and its spin-offs, North American Free Trade Agreement and Free Trade Area of the Americas, are already doing these evil things, because the WTO has authority greater than our Congress and Constitution. How did we let this happen? I am completely nonplused as to why our legislators would vote for free-trade treaties that lead to outsourcing millions of good-paying middle-class jobs to slave labor in Third World countries. These treaties also lead to erasing our borders and allowing terrorists, illegal immigrants and drugs into our beloved country. Are these legislators unpatriotic, stupid or what? Thank goodness U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson has changed and begun to vote against free-trade treaties.
Let us all contact our legislators and demand that they stop this madness. They must vote no on the new FTAA treaty, which would wipe out the Unites States of America as we know it.
THOMAS T. HAMILTON, Ironton, Mo.