- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- MCA calls for protection of those found not guilty of animal abuse (1/10/18)2
- Scaling up: Long John Silver's adding an A&W (1/10/18)3
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Southeast to cut workforce to meet budget needs caused by state cuts (1/10/18)7
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
Trade pacts undermine America
To the editor:
It appears that some of our legislators -- U.S. Sen. Kit Bond, U.S. Sen. Jim Talent and U.S. Rep. Kenny Hulshof -- are ardent free traders. If they would bother to poll their constituents, they would find that citizens do not want to erase our borders, allow in a flood of immigrants and destroy our industrial, agricultural and mining bases. The World Trade Organization and its spin-offs, North American Free Trade Agreement and Free Trade Area of the Americas, are already doing these evil things, because the WTO has authority greater than our Congress and Constitution. How did we let this happen? I am completely nonplused as to why our legislators would vote for free-trade treaties that lead to outsourcing millions of good-paying middle-class jobs to slave labor in Third World countries. These treaties also lead to erasing our borders and allowing terrorists, illegal immigrants and drugs into our beloved country. Are these legislators unpatriotic, stupid or what? Thank goodness U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson has changed and begun to vote against free-trade treaties.
Let us all contact our legislators and demand that they stop this madness. They must vote no on the new FTAA treaty, which would wipe out the Unites States of America as we know it.
THOMAS T. HAMILTON, Ironton, Mo.