- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Trade pacts undermine America
To the editor:
It appears that some of our legislators -- U.S. Sen. Kit Bond, U.S. Sen. Jim Talent and U.S. Rep. Kenny Hulshof -- are ardent free traders. If they would bother to poll their constituents, they would find that citizens do not want to erase our borders, allow in a flood of immigrants and destroy our industrial, agricultural and mining bases. The World Trade Organization and its spin-offs, North American Free Trade Agreement and Free Trade Area of the Americas, are already doing these evil things, because the WTO has authority greater than our Congress and Constitution. How did we let this happen? I am completely nonplused as to why our legislators would vote for free-trade treaties that lead to outsourcing millions of good-paying middle-class jobs to slave labor in Third World countries. These treaties also lead to erasing our borders and allowing terrorists, illegal immigrants and drugs into our beloved country. Are these legislators unpatriotic, stupid or what? Thank goodness U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson has changed and begun to vote against free-trade treaties.
Let us all contact our legislators and demand that they stop this madness. They must vote no on the new FTAA treaty, which would wipe out the Unites States of America as we know it.
THOMAS T. HAMILTON, Ironton, Mo.