- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
Send letters, show support for Marquette
To the editor:
This is a request for help. I am asking Cape Girardeau residents to mail a letter of support for the Marquette Hotel to Linward Appling, Director of Facilities Management, and Carl Greeson, Assistant Director, P.O. Box 809, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
And send a copy to Gov. Bob Holden, State Capitol, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
A decision is about to be made regarding the location of state agencies in the downtown area. The Marquette is one of the locations being considered. Putting the state agencies in the Marquette also would lend itself to further development of the remainder of the building for retail spaces, coffee shop and other professional offices. This would increase the tax base and have a major economic ripple on the downtown area and the region.
Take a minute and send a letter of support and let these state officials know this is a great benefit not only to Cape Girardeau, but to the state in preserving historic places.
THOMAS M. MEYER