- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Send letters, show support for Marquette
To the editor:
This is a request for help. I am asking Cape Girardeau residents to mail a letter of support for the Marquette Hotel to Linward Appling, Director of Facilities Management, and Carl Greeson, Assistant Director, P.O. Box 809, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
And send a copy to Gov. Bob Holden, State Capitol, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
A decision is about to be made regarding the location of state agencies in the downtown area. The Marquette is one of the locations being considered. Putting the state agencies in the Marquette also would lend itself to further development of the remainder of the building for retail spaces, coffee shop and other professional offices. This would increase the tax base and have a major economic ripple on the downtown area and the region.
Take a minute and send a letter of support and let these state officials know this is a great benefit not only to Cape Girardeau, but to the state in preserving historic places.
THOMAS M. MEYER