- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
Send letters, show support for Marquette
To the editor:
This is a request for help. I am asking Cape Girardeau residents to mail a letter of support for the Marquette Hotel to Linward Appling, Director of Facilities Management, and Carl Greeson, Assistant Director, P.O. Box 809, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
And send a copy to Gov. Bob Holden, State Capitol, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
A decision is about to be made regarding the location of state agencies in the downtown area. The Marquette is one of the locations being considered. Putting the state agencies in the Marquette also would lend itself to further development of the remainder of the building for retail spaces, coffee shop and other professional offices. This would increase the tax base and have a major economic ripple on the downtown area and the region.
Take a minute and send a letter of support and let these state officials know this is a great benefit not only to Cape Girardeau, but to the state in preserving historic places.
THOMAS M. MEYER