- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Send letters, show support for Marquette
To the editor:
This is a request for help. I am asking Cape Girardeau residents to mail a letter of support for the Marquette Hotel to Linward Appling, Director of Facilities Management, and Carl Greeson, Assistant Director, P.O. Box 809, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
And send a copy to Gov. Bob Holden, State Capitol, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
A decision is about to be made regarding the location of state agencies in the downtown area. The Marquette is one of the locations being considered. Putting the state agencies in the Marquette also would lend itself to further development of the remainder of the building for retail spaces, coffee shop and other professional offices. This would increase the tax base and have a major economic ripple on the downtown area and the region.
Take a minute and send a letter of support and let these state officials know this is a great benefit not only to Cape Girardeau, but to the state in preserving historic places.
THOMAS M. MEYER