- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Police: Woman beat another woman with a bat over a pair of shoes (8/21/16)2
New effort prepares successful homeowners
Give a person a home, and he or she has shelter -- until he or she blows his budget, the house falls into disrepair and is condemned or something else happens.
But teach a person to be a good homeowner, and he or she will have shelter for life.
That's the idea behind the Consolidated Community Services Group Inc., spearheaded by former city councilman J.J. Williamson.
His group doesn't just help renters with a down payment for a home, but guides them through the process of obtaining the home and caring for it. There are classes and counseling sessions on insurance, lawn maintenance and everything in between.
There already are Cape Girardeau residents enjoying home ownership for the first time. It can be an intimidating process packed with paperwork, but the individual attention helps them get through it successfully.
Williamson and his partners are to be commended for taking on this daunting task.
To find out more, call him at 339-0545.