- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
New effort prepares successful homeowners
Give a person a home, and he or she has shelter -- until he or she blows his budget, the house falls into disrepair and is condemned or something else happens.
But teach a person to be a good homeowner, and he or she will have shelter for life.
That's the idea behind the Consolidated Community Services Group Inc., spearheaded by former city councilman J.J. Williamson.
His group doesn't just help renters with a down payment for a home, but guides them through the process of obtaining the home and caring for it. There are classes and counseling sessions on insurance, lawn maintenance and everything in between.
There already are Cape Girardeau residents enjoying home ownership for the first time. It can be an intimidating process packed with paperwork, but the individual attention helps them get through it successfully.
Williamson and his partners are to be commended for taking on this daunting task.
To find out more, call him at 339-0545.