- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
New effort prepares successful homeowners
Give a person a home, and he or she has shelter -- until he or she blows his budget, the house falls into disrepair and is condemned or something else happens.
But teach a person to be a good homeowner, and he or she will have shelter for life.
That's the idea behind the Consolidated Community Services Group Inc., spearheaded by former city councilman J.J. Williamson.
His group doesn't just help renters with a down payment for a home, but guides them through the process of obtaining the home and caring for it. There are classes and counseling sessions on insurance, lawn maintenance and everything in between.
There already are Cape Girardeau residents enjoying home ownership for the first time. It can be an intimidating process packed with paperwork, but the individual attention helps them get through it successfully.
Williamson and his partners are to be commended for taking on this daunting task.
To find out more, call him at 339-0545.