- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)3
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Rabies confirmed in Cape County after person bitten by bat (5/26/17)
- Man with prior sex convictions charged with abuse of a child 10 years ago (5/25/17)2
- New features at Cape Splash geared for kids; revenue has exceeded costs by more than $200K (5/24/17)1
On Thursday, Old Town Cape held its annual dinner and awards ceremony. This event is an opportunity to recognize many who do important work in the downtown area.
Receiving the Charles L. Hutson Visionary Award was Roger and Judith Anne Lang. The Lang family operated a jewelry store in downtown Cape Girardeau for 96 years, culminating last year with the Langs retirement.
Not only were the Langs contributors to the business community through their store, but they also supported the Downtown Merchants Association. Judith Anne Lang served as Old Town Cape's first president after helping start the organization.
Other awards winners include:
Volunteer of the Year: Bill Dunn
Business Excellence Award: Lee Schlitt and Kevin Wood, owners of Broadway Prescription
Excellence in Revitalization: City of Cape Girardeau, Horner & Shifrin Inc. of St. Louis, SWT Design of St. Louis and Fronabarger Concreters Inc. of Oak Ridge. Each played an important role in the Broadway Corridor Enhancement Project.
Judith Ann Crow Residential Historic Rehabilitation Award: Centurion Development LLC.
John Boardman Excellence in Historic Rehabiliation Award: Kenny Pincksten, owner of Prestige Development.
We extend our congratulations to the award recipients and the many others who have contributed to the downtown community.