- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Former football players provide leadership training at middle school (9/24/17)
- Cape Girardeau native Jessica Johnston to compete as castaway on 'Survivor' season 35 (9/24/17)
- New businesses popping up all over Cape Girardeau (9/24/17)
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
On Thursday, Old Town Cape held its annual dinner and awards ceremony. This event is an opportunity to recognize many who do important work in the downtown area.
Receiving the Charles L. Hutson Visionary Award was Roger and Judith Anne Lang. The Lang family operated a jewelry store in downtown Cape Girardeau for 96 years, culminating last year with the Langs retirement.
Not only were the Langs contributors to the business community through their store, but they also supported the Downtown Merchants Association. Judith Anne Lang served as Old Town Cape's first president after helping start the organization.
Other awards winners include:
Volunteer of the Year: Bill Dunn
Business Excellence Award: Lee Schlitt and Kevin Wood, owners of Broadway Prescription
Excellence in Revitalization: City of Cape Girardeau, Horner & Shifrin Inc. of St. Louis, SWT Design of St. Louis and Fronabarger Concreters Inc. of Oak Ridge. Each played an important role in the Broadway Corridor Enhancement Project.
Judith Ann Crow Residential Historic Rehabilitation Award: Centurion Development LLC.
John Boardman Excellence in Historic Rehabiliation Award: Kenny Pincksten, owner of Prestige Development.
We extend our congratulations to the award recipients and the many others who have contributed to the downtown community.