- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)7
- Crowell leads effort to cut low-income tax credits in Missouri (11/19/17)6
On Thursday, Old Town Cape held its annual dinner and awards ceremony. This event is an opportunity to recognize many who do important work in the downtown area.
Receiving the Charles L. Hutson Visionary Award was Roger and Judith Anne Lang. The Lang family operated a jewelry store in downtown Cape Girardeau for 96 years, culminating last year with the Langs retirement.
Not only were the Langs contributors to the business community through their store, but they also supported the Downtown Merchants Association. Judith Anne Lang served as Old Town Cape's first president after helping start the organization.
Other awards winners include:
Volunteer of the Year: Bill Dunn
Business Excellence Award: Lee Schlitt and Kevin Wood, owners of Broadway Prescription
Excellence in Revitalization: City of Cape Girardeau, Horner & Shifrin Inc. of St. Louis, SWT Design of St. Louis and Fronabarger Concreters Inc. of Oak Ridge. Each played an important role in the Broadway Corridor Enhancement Project.
Judith Ann Crow Residential Historic Rehabilitation Award: Centurion Development LLC.
John Boardman Excellence in Historic Rehabiliation Award: Kenny Pincksten, owner of Prestige Development.
We extend our congratulations to the award recipients and the many others who have contributed to the downtown community.