- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)3
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- More details emerge in Perryville police-misconduct case (7/21/17)
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
On Thursday, Old Town Cape held its annual dinner and awards ceremony. This event is an opportunity to recognize many who do important work in the downtown area.
Receiving the Charles L. Hutson Visionary Award was Roger and Judith Anne Lang. The Lang family operated a jewelry store in downtown Cape Girardeau for 96 years, culminating last year with the Langs retirement.
Not only were the Langs contributors to the business community through their store, but they also supported the Downtown Merchants Association. Judith Anne Lang served as Old Town Cape's first president after helping start the organization.
Other awards winners include:
Volunteer of the Year: Bill Dunn
Business Excellence Award: Lee Schlitt and Kevin Wood, owners of Broadway Prescription
Excellence in Revitalization: City of Cape Girardeau, Horner & Shifrin Inc. of St. Louis, SWT Design of St. Louis and Fronabarger Concreters Inc. of Oak Ridge. Each played an important role in the Broadway Corridor Enhancement Project.
Judith Ann Crow Residential Historic Rehabilitation Award: Centurion Development LLC.
John Boardman Excellence in Historic Rehabiliation Award: Kenny Pincksten, owner of Prestige Development.
We extend our congratulations to the award recipients and the many others who have contributed to the downtown community.