- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- State of emergency declared in Missouri (2/24/18)1
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)12
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
- Missouri governor indicted on invasion of privacy charge (2/23/18)6
There are many ways to help those in need here at home and around the world, and for 40 years members of Church Women United in Cape Girardeau have raised funds with its annual CROP (Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty) sales. This year's event attracted nearly 200 women and raised money for FISH, Jackson Food Pantry, Love INC., Teen Challenge, Family Resource Center, Church World Service Heifer Project and a $500 scholarship to the Career and Technology Center.
When the CROP sales started in 1970, most every family had a vegetable garden. Participants would plant extra rows, and produce would be sold at the CROP sales. Nowadays, fewer gardens are being planted, but baked goods and potted plants as well as fresh vegetables help raise money.
Over the years, proceeds from the CROP sales have been used to purchase livestock, tools, seeds, veterinary supplies, wells, windmills and reforestation in needy countries. The annual scholarships are given to women try to better themselves, particularly through the LPN program.
The group's enduring efforts -- some of the participants have been involved all 40 years -- are to be commended. Hats off to the Church Women United for making this effort to help others.