- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
Museum has full schedule of events
The River Heritage Museum in Cape Girardeau has a busy schedule of events planned this year, including special anniversary commemorations, concerts and other programs.
Recently the museum kicked off its 2009 season with a performance by the Jerry Ford Orchestra, which is marking its 50th anniversary. Seven other concerts are planned as part of the museum's "Saturday Mornings at the Museum" programs on the last Saturday of the month through November.
Other anniversaries to get special recognition at the museum include the 100th anniversary of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department, the 100th anniversary of Louis Houck's books on Missouri history and the 70th anniversary of the sharecroppers roadside demonstrations in the Bootheel.
Hats off to volunteer director Viney Mosley and everyone else at the River Heritage Museum who have put together an informative and ambitious year of historical observances that will provide great opportunities for all of us to learn more about our community and region.