- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
Museum has full schedule of events
The River Heritage Museum in Cape Girardeau has a busy schedule of events planned this year, including special anniversary commemorations, concerts and other programs.
Recently the museum kicked off its 2009 season with a performance by the Jerry Ford Orchestra, which is marking its 50th anniversary. Seven other concerts are planned as part of the museum's "Saturday Mornings at the Museum" programs on the last Saturday of the month through November.
Other anniversaries to get special recognition at the museum include the 100th anniversary of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department, the 100th anniversary of Louis Houck's books on Missouri history and the 70th anniversary of the sharecroppers roadside demonstrations in the Bootheel.
Hats off to volunteer director Viney Mosley and everyone else at the River Heritage Museum who have put together an informative and ambitious year of historical observances that will provide great opportunities for all of us to learn more about our community and region.