- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
Muslims should speak up
To the editor:
Muslims throughout the world do their religion a disservice through their silence. It is quite obvious that this religion comprises at least two very different sects: those to whom violence and death mean nothing, and those to whom violence and death are abhorrent. What a dichotomy exists within this group.
Where are those Islamic leaders who abhor violence? Where is their voice? The very real prejudice against Islam here in the United States and elsewhere throughout the world is based on what we hear, see and witness regarding these people. If there is no presentation counter to that which we see, hear and witness, there will be no change in the perception of people of this faith.
I entreat people of Islam to denounce the actions of the those for whom your mantra is being devised, or else you all will be subject to the same hatred as those who are doing these evil things. Speak up instead of crying foul. You have done nothing to support your beliefs.
JOHN JUSITS, Cape Girardeau