- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Muslims should speak up
To the editor:
Muslims throughout the world do their religion a disservice through their silence. It is quite obvious that this religion comprises at least two very different sects: those to whom violence and death mean nothing, and those to whom violence and death are abhorrent. What a dichotomy exists within this group.
Where are those Islamic leaders who abhor violence? Where is their voice? The very real prejudice against Islam here in the United States and elsewhere throughout the world is based on what we hear, see and witness regarding these people. If there is no presentation counter to that which we see, hear and witness, there will be no change in the perception of people of this faith.
I entreat people of Islam to denounce the actions of the those for whom your mantra is being devised, or else you all will be subject to the same hatred as those who are doing these evil things. Speak up instead of crying foul. You have done nothing to support your beliefs.
JOHN JUSITS, Cape Girardeau