- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)33
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
A call to prayer for elections
To the editor:
Someone has said that if Christians really understood the full extent of the power we have available through prayer we might be speechless.
In WWII there was an adviser to Churchill who organized a group of people who dropped what they were doing every day at a prescribed hour for one minute to collectively pray for the safety of England, its people and peace.
There is now a group of people organizing the same thing here in America.
There is a national call, starting this Friday night, for 40 days of prayer.
In 40 days, we will have an election for the President of the United States of America. No matter which party you support, please pray each day that the Lord will bless our nation and place in power the man that needs to be our leader in these troubled years ahead.
The Bible uses the 40 days numerous times, maybe this will be good for this nation.
If you would like to participate, every day, stop whatever you are doing, and spend one minute praying for the safety of the United States, our troops, our citizens, for the elections and for peace in the world.
If you know anyone else who would like to participate, please pass this along. Our prayers are the most powerful asset we have.
Together, we can make a difference!
Thank you, and God Bless America.
JODI THOMPSON, Jackson