The city of Cape Girardeau is on the verge of entering its third century. On July 23, 1808, a petition was submitted to incorporate the town and create the first municipal government.
To celebrate, the Red House Interpretive Center will host a birthday party this Wednesday, starting at 10 AM, featuring free birthday cake.
How much do you know about the early history of our fair city?
Take this quiz and test your knowledge of the early days of Cape Girardeau, when the future looked bright and those upstarts in Jackson hadn't snatched away the county seat yet.
The answers to the quiz will be revealed at the Red House birthday party on Wednesday. See you there.
1. What was Themis Street named after?
- One of Louis Lorimier's distant relatives
- The Greek goddess of divine law
- A small village in France
- A fictional character in a popular 18th Century novel
2. Approximately how many acres were included in the original incorporation of 1808?
3. Which of these streets has kept the same name throughout the last 200 years?
4. What street marked the western boundary of the original 1808 town limits?
- West End
5. Which of these streets was NOT named on the original town plat?
6. Who has the oldest marked grave in Old Lorimier Cemetery?
- Louis Lorimier
- Charlotte P. B. Lorimier
- Jean B. Girardot
- John Randol
7. What was the original name of Broadway?
- Fortune St.
- Louisiana St.
- Gravois Rd.
- Harmony St.
8. How much did it cost to buy the first town lots?
9. At the time of the 1808 incorporation, Cape Girardeau was under the jurisdiction of which territory?
- Territory of Indiana
- Territory of Ohio
- Territory of Louisiana
- Territory of Missouri
10. The Cape Girardeau post office was established January 1, 1807. Who was the first postmaster?
- Charles E. Ellis
- Robert Worthington
- Louis Lorimier
- Joseph McFerron
11. Cape Girardeau was re-incorporated as a city in 1843. Who served as the first mayor?
- Edgar Mason
- Alfred T. Lacey
- George Thilenius
- Rodney G. Whitelaw
12. When was Cape Girardeau County officially established?
- January 1, 1804
- July 1, 1806
- October 1, 1812
- August 10, 1821