Partly Cloudy ~
River stage: 11.08 ft. Rising
Friday, Feb. 27, 2015
Cape Girardeau's government will turn 200 years old this WednesdayPosted Monday, July 21, 2008, at 10:19 AM
The city of Cape Girardeau is on the verge of entering its third century. On July 23, 1808, a petition was submitted to incorporate the town and create the first municipal government.
To celebrate, the Red House Interpretive Center will host a birthday party this Wednesday, starting at 10 AM, featuring free birthday cake.
How much do you know about the early history of our fair city?
Take this quiz and test your knowledge of the early days of Cape Girardeau, when the future looked bright and those upstarts in Jackson hadn't snatched away the county seat yet.
The answers to the quiz will be revealed at the Red House birthday party on Wednesday. See you there.
1. What was Themis Street named after?
2. Approximately how many acres were included in the original incorporation of 1808?
3. Which of these streets has kept the same name throughout the last 200 years?
4. What street marked the western boundary of the original 1808 town limits?
5. Which of these streets was NOT named on the original town plat?
6. Who has the oldest marked grave in Old Lorimier Cemetery?
7. What was the original name of Broadway?
8. How much did it cost to buy the first town lots?
9. At the time of the 1808 incorporation, Cape Girardeau was under the jurisdiction of which territory?
10. The Cape Girardeau post office was established January 1, 1807. Who was the first postmaster?
11. Cape Girardeau was re-incorporated as a city in 1843. Who served as the first mayor?
12. When was Cape Girardeau County officially established?
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to James Baughn
The webmaster of seMissourian.com and its sister newspapers, James Baughn has lost track of the number of websites he manages. On the side, he maintains even more sites, including Bridgehunter.com, LandmarkHunter.com, TheCapeRock.com, and Humorix.
Hot topicsRiver-to-River Trail Society spring hiking schedule
(0 ~ 10:30 PM, Feb 24)
Mardi Gras in New Orleans: Not what you probably expect
Welcome to Frog City, Illinois
Sneak peek at the Cape Girardeau County History Center
A tale of two courthouse squares