- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)1
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
Eighth grade enrollment under way at PHS
Parents of students who will be freshmen next year at Perryville High School should keep an eye out for some important homework this week.
Eighth graders have begun enrolling in classes at PHS this week with help from the PHS guidance counselors, Barb Kutz, Debra Cobb and Tammie Kluender.
"The students are meeting with the counselors during their social studies classes with Mrs. Kelly Hotop this week," Kutz explained. "We've asked them to take home their enrollment packets and discuss their class choices for next year with their parents or guardians."
The packets are in large manila envelopes and contain course descriptions, lists of required freshman courses, enrollment instructions, personal plan of study and a parent letter.
"Parents must sign the enrollment form and students should return it by Wednesday, Feb. 15," Kutz said. "We ask for that signature to ensure that it has been a collaborative effort between the parents and student."
As part of the enrollment process, counselors urge the students to "start with the end in mind."
"We ask students to consider their career goal," Kutz explained, "and we work backwards to develop the plan that will allow them to achieve that goal."
Once all the forms are returned, the counselors enter each student's course selections to create preliminary schedules. Final schedules for all ninth graders are mailed home over summer break.
For more information about eighth grade enrollment, visit the Perry County School District 32 Website at www.perryville.k12.mo.us. Choose Perryville High School in the "select a school" window, then choose Guidance from the green menu. Copies of all handouts given to the students are available for download or printing on the Eighth Grade Enrollment page.
Anyone with questions is invited to call or e-mail their child's guidance counselor:
- For students with last names starting with A-G, contact Barb Kutz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573-547-7500, ext. 422
- For students with last names starting with H-N, contact Debra Cobb at email@example.com or call 573-547-7500, ext. 241
- For students with last names starting with O-Z, contact Tammie Lukefahr at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573-547-7500, ext. 211