- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
PHS Student Councils Received Award
The Perryville High School Student Council has been awarded the Gold Honor Council Award for 2009. The award was presented at the annual Missouri Association of Student Councils Convention, held at Jefferson City High School in Jefferson City, Missouri.
Perryville High School Student Council met the criteria set out by the Executive Board of the Missouri Association of Student Councils. Criteria requires that councils winning Honor Council be members of MASC, attend the state convention, have a constitution, and have formal election procedures. Optional activities include leadership training, membership at District Level, attendance at the Summer Leadership Institute, teacher appreciation, student recognition, membership at the national level, running for or holding office at the district or state level, presenting workshops at the district or state level, celebration of National Leadership Week, spirit activities, school service activities, community service activities, and support of the State-designated charity Special Olympics. The Perryville High School Student Council not only met but exceeded the criteria for winning the award.
According to a letter received from Karen Haak, Honor Council Chairman, special recognition goes to student council sponsors Brent Broeking and Michele Pellikan for providing leadership guidance to the student leaders, and to Lee Gattis, Principal of Perryville High School, for fostering student leadership in the district.