- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
PHS Student Councils Received Award
The Perryville High School Student Council has been awarded the Gold Honor Council Award for 2009. The award was presented at the annual Missouri Association of Student Councils Convention, held at Jefferson City High School in Jefferson City, Missouri.
Perryville High School Student Council met the criteria set out by the Executive Board of the Missouri Association of Student Councils. Criteria requires that councils winning Honor Council be members of MASC, attend the state convention, have a constitution, and have formal election procedures. Optional activities include leadership training, membership at District Level, attendance at the Summer Leadership Institute, teacher appreciation, student recognition, membership at the national level, running for or holding office at the district or state level, presenting workshops at the district or state level, celebration of National Leadership Week, spirit activities, school service activities, community service activities, and support of the State-designated charity Special Olympics. The Perryville High School Student Council not only met but exceeded the criteria for winning the award.
According to a letter received from Karen Haak, Honor Council Chairman, special recognition goes to student council sponsors Brent Broeking and Michele Pellikan for providing leadership guidance to the student leaders, and to Lee Gattis, Principal of Perryville High School, for fostering student leadership in the district.