- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
PHS Student Councils Received Award
The Perryville High School Student Council has been awarded the Gold Honor Council Award for 2009. The award was presented at the annual Missouri Association of Student Councils Convention, held at Jefferson City High School in Jefferson City, Missouri.
Perryville High School Student Council met the criteria set out by the Executive Board of the Missouri Association of Student Councils. Criteria requires that councils winning Honor Council be members of MASC, attend the state convention, have a constitution, and have formal election procedures. Optional activities include leadership training, membership at District Level, attendance at the Summer Leadership Institute, teacher appreciation, student recognition, membership at the national level, running for or holding office at the district or state level, presenting workshops at the district or state level, celebration of National Leadership Week, spirit activities, school service activities, community service activities, and support of the State-designated charity Special Olympics. The Perryville High School Student Council not only met but exceeded the criteria for winning the award.
According to a letter received from Karen Haak, Honor Council Chairman, special recognition goes to student council sponsors Brent Broeking and Michele Pellikan for providing leadership guidance to the student leaders, and to Lee Gattis, Principal of Perryville High School, for fostering student leadership in the district.