- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)11
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
PHS Students Raise Money for Chile Relief
Perryville High School DECA students were moved by the devastation they saw in Chile following that country's recent earthquakes and they quickly sprang into action to help its victims.
The fundraiser they sponsored called "Chile Change Drive" raised a total of $503.84 for the American Red Cross to help with relief efforts in Chile.
Event organizer, Yezi (Amy) Yan, thought it would be a good idea to get the student body involved in the fundraiser. "At first I just wanted to donate money to help out," said Yan, "but then I thought it would be better if the whole school would be involved. I checked with my teacher and got the DECA organization involved. We had a competition between the first hour classes. The top two classes that collected the most money on average per student won a pizza party. The winners were Michele Pellikan's and Jesse Laurentius' classes."