- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Rep. Lichtenegger proposes change to term limits (12/4/17)7
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Buffalo Wild Wings moving to new location in March (12/2/17)2
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Missouri Senate Recognize AmerenUE Workers
JEFFERSON CITY -- Workers from AmerenUE were honored in the Missouri Senate by Senator Jason Crowell, R - Cape Girardeau, and Senator Robert Mayer, R -- Stoddard, for their recovery efforts during the 2009 ice storm in Southeast Missouri. The award winning response by AmerenUE employees to the natural disaster was recognized through a Senate Resolution presented by Sen. Crowell and Sen. Mayer.
In late January, 2009, an ice storm hit Missouri's Bootheel. The storm layered as much as 5 inches of ice upon the area, causing massive and wide-spread power outages -- including outages affecting nearly 40,000 AmerenUE customers.
In anticipating the ice storm, AmerenUE line workers, contract tree trimmers, supervisors, and safety staff traveled to the area one day ahead of the ice. Once the storm hit, additional support was rushed to the area. In total, nearly 5,000 people directly supported the storm recovery effort, including 2,400 line workers, 555 tree trimmers, 161 field checkers and hundreds of logistical staff, supervisors, and other personnel. These men and women replaced and repaired nearly 4,000 poles, 7,000 cross arms and 278 miles of wire. Their outstanding efforts restored power to most customers in less than a week.
In March 2010, the Edison Electric Institute recognized AmerenUE with the Emergency Recovery Award -- an award EEI presents annually for outstanding efforts in restoring electric service following severe weather or natural conditions.
The individuals in the Senate today represented the 5,000 men and women who worked hard to restore power.