- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)27
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
All Wrapped Up
At Southeast Hospital, the best Christmas gifts are decked out in bright red flannel, white "fur" trimmed stockings. They are the December newborns in the Hospital's Obstetrics unit.
Southeast has been sending home December birthday babies with a special Christmas stocking for more than 30 years. Moms and dads appreciate the holiday touch. "They love having the stocking as a memento of their special Christmas season delivery," says Women's and Children's Services Nurse Navigator Jane Unterreiner, BSN, RNC-OB. "Some parents have even personalized the stocking and hung it from their mantle every Christmas."
SoutheastHEALTH Auxiliary members lovingly create the baby-sized stockings. The latest "stocking elf" is Jean Wetzel of Cape Girardeau. She has sewed the majority of the stockings for the past several years.
"I made 100 last year and 100 this year," she says, adding that she starts collecting all the material she will need for the stockings in the middle of October. Each stocking takes about an hour to make, she notes. "I enjoy doing it," she says.
Auxiliary member Jean Devore of Jackson sewed the Christmas stockings for more than a decade. "It's quite a job, but it was fun to do," she recalls. "It puts you in the Christmas spirit."