- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
All Wrapped Up
At Southeast Hospital, the best Christmas gifts are decked out in bright red flannel, white "fur" trimmed stockings. They are the December newborns in the Hospital's Obstetrics unit.
Southeast has been sending home December birthday babies with a special Christmas stocking for more than 30 years. Moms and dads appreciate the holiday touch. "They love having the stocking as a memento of their special Christmas season delivery," says Women's and Children's Services Nurse Navigator Jane Unterreiner, BSN, RNC-OB. "Some parents have even personalized the stocking and hung it from their mantle every Christmas."
SoutheastHEALTH Auxiliary members lovingly create the baby-sized stockings. The latest "stocking elf" is Jean Wetzel of Cape Girardeau. She has sewed the majority of the stockings for the past several years.
"I made 100 last year and 100 this year," she says, adding that she starts collecting all the material she will need for the stockings in the middle of October. Each stocking takes about an hour to make, she notes. "I enjoy doing it," she says.
Auxiliary member Jean Devore of Jackson sewed the Christmas stockings for more than a decade. "It's quite a job, but it was fun to do," she recalls. "It puts you in the Christmas spirit."