- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Grant provides resident artists to Alt Center
Murielle Wyman, Executive Director of the Arts Council of Southeast Missouri, is all smiles as she presents a $20,000 "check" to representatives of Cape Public Schools' Alternative Education Center (AEC) recently. Accepting the check are AEC Principal Scott McMullen, left, and Art Instructor Lawrence Brookins, who coordinated with Wyman to secure the grant. The funds will bring arts-related extracurricular activities to students of AEC.
"This is such an exciting opportunity to work with a group of students who really don't have opportunities to work one-on-one with nationally-acclaimed artists," Wyman said. The grant will support the mission of the Arts Council by allowing the organization to host an artist-residency program in conjunction with classes offered at the AEC. The program will feature three different artists across a variety of disciplines for week-long residencies at the school during the spring semester.
The Arts Council, well known for its First Friday gallery openings and Children's Arts Festival, "strives to educate and encourage meaningful relationships between artists and the community," Wyman said. She acknowledged the National Endowment for the Arts for its support of the grant.
E N D