- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Perryville Student Selected for People to People Program
Samantha D. Pohlman, a senior at Perryville High School has been accepted into the People to People Student Ambassador Program for the second year in a row. People to People is an educational travel program founded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. He believed that ordinary citizens of different nations, if able to communicate directly, would solve their differences and find a way to live in peace.
Pohlman will explore France, Greece and Italy for twenty days during summer of 2011. She can earn academic credit while getting to know the people, culture and history of these countries. After being invited to enroll, Samantha submitted letters of recommendation and successfully completed an interview process. Before departure, she will attend several orientation meetings with program leaders and fellow delegates to learn about their destination and prepare for the journey. Delegates are required to participate in a public service project, present a research project, and raise their own tuition for this opportunity.
Samantha is the daughter of Roger and the late Sindy Pohlman. She is involved with the Area Cancer Survivors, Brazeau Presbyterian Children's Church, East Perry Community Rodeo Mutton Busting and the We Can Weekend Cancer Retreat. She has been involved in Anime, Book, Chess, and Drama clubs in high school. After graduation, she plans to pursue an Art degree.
Anyone wishing to help Ms. Pohlman realize this goal can leave a message at (573) 846-6459. Upcoming fundraisers include a Cow Plop and a Scavenger Hunt.