- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
Perryville Student Selected for People to People Program
Samantha D. Pohlman, a senior at Perryville High School has been accepted into the People to People Student Ambassador Program for the second year in a row. People to People is an educational travel program founded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. He believed that ordinary citizens of different nations, if able to communicate directly, would solve their differences and find a way to live in peace.
Pohlman will explore France, Greece and Italy for twenty days during summer of 2011. She can earn academic credit while getting to know the people, culture and history of these countries. After being invited to enroll, Samantha submitted letters of recommendation and successfully completed an interview process. Before departure, she will attend several orientation meetings with program leaders and fellow delegates to learn about their destination and prepare for the journey. Delegates are required to participate in a public service project, present a research project, and raise their own tuition for this opportunity.
Samantha is the daughter of Roger and the late Sindy Pohlman. She is involved with the Area Cancer Survivors, Brazeau Presbyterian Children's Church, East Perry Community Rodeo Mutton Busting and the We Can Weekend Cancer Retreat. She has been involved in Anime, Book, Chess, and Drama clubs in high school. After graduation, she plans to pursue an Art degree.
Anyone wishing to help Ms. Pohlman realize this goal can leave a message at (573) 846-6459. Upcoming fundraisers include a Cow Plop and a Scavenger Hunt.