Speak Out: I go shooting 'all the time', says Obama in attempt to win back gun owners

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 3:59 PM:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/28/i-go-shooting-all-the-time-says-obama-in...

"President Barack Obama has claimed that he goes shooting "all the time", while attempting to reassure American gun-owners that he respects their rights to use firearms.

"Facing conservative anger over his proposals to ban assault weapons as part of a drastic overhaul of gun control laws, the president said that he was a keen clay-pigeon shooter.

"Asked in a magazine interview whether he had ever fired a gun, Mr Obama said he did so with guests at the president's rural retreat. "Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said. "And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations.

"And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake."

"Mr Obama's plans for tighter firearms regulations were drawn up by Joe Biden, the vice-president, following the massacre of 20 children and six adults at a Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, last month.

"Mr. Biden, whose proposals also include a background check system on all Americans trying to buy guns and a 10-shot limit for ammunition clips, has been quick to note that he owns a shotgun.

"The president, however, rarely speaks about firearms and is dismissed by many enthusiasts as an elite urban law professor who does not appreciate America's heritage of gun ownership.

"He accepted in his interview that gun culture in rural areas was "very different" to that in urban areas, such as his home city of Chicago, where it is more frequently linked to serious crime.

"If you grew up and your dad gave you a hunting rifle when you were 10, and you went out and spent the day with him and your uncles, and that became part of your family's traditions, you can see why you'd be pretty protective of that," Mr Obama told The New Republic.

"H

e made clear, however, that his daughters Sasha, 11, and Malia, 14, did not join the clay-pigeon shooting parties at Camp David, in rural Maryland.

"The president's comments come just days after Mr. Biden also appeared to reach out to gun advocates during a Google+ 'hangout' chat.

"The Vice President declared that a shotgun was better than an assault rifle for Americans who want to defend themselves in the event of a natural disaster.

"Guess what? A shotgun will keep you a lot safer -- a double-barrel shotgun -- than the assault weapon in somebody's hands who doesn't know how to use it," Mr. Biden said during the video hangout that discussed gun violence in the U.S.

"You know, it's harder to use an assault weapon and hit something than it is to use a shotgun, OK? So if you want to keep people away in an earthquake, buy some shotgun shells."

"A month after the Newtown school massacre, Mr. Obama outlined his $500 million plan to ban "military-style" assault rifles, put a 10-round limit on magazines and introduce criminal background checks on all gun purchases.

"Biden, who may run for president himself at the end of Obama's term, has stood firmly behind the plan. But gun advocates and Republican lawmakers have reacted with outrage."

Replies (54)

• Pay no attention to what he says (because he lies), watch what he does.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:44 PM
  • "If you grew up and your dad gave you a hunting rifle when you were 10, and you went out and spent the day with him and your uncles, and that became part of your family's traditions, you can see why you'd be pretty protective of that," Mr Obama told The New Republic."

I got mine around 5 or 6 and it was for plinking. It was a lever action and held around 15 shots. My brother had a .22 auto. My brother and I were free to roam the farm with them alone. That ought to give the wimp liberal class a chill.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:49 PM
  • I'm having a hard time believing it.

Past presidents have shot skeet at Camp David. But Mr. Obama has been noted to take relatively few trips there compared to many.

I suppose it might depend upon who was there with him. I have a hard time believing that Michelle would permit it, or that he would even desire it, unless accompanied by some dignitary or other person (military veteran, etc.) who otherwise requested it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:49 PM
  • 'Occassionally' might be believable, but 'all the time' seems a stretch, to put it mildly...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:50 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:49 PM

How many schools did you and your brother shoot up?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:01 PM
  • Obama wouldn't know which end of a gun to hold.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:18 PM
  • BTW Biden talked about a double barrel was best. That is a crock. You come out of a room with a long gun and the perp will only have to grab the barrel.

I bought tactical shotgun for the wife but it is a shorty that holds 8 rounds with a Halo sight and a backup flashlight.

The difference is she has been trained by a friend and is very proficient in home defense.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:20 PM
  • How many schools did you and your brother shoot up?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:01 PM

Would never thought of it. Along with the guns respect for them were taught. The scary situations is where dad locks them up and never teaches their kids about them. Many times curiosity has taken over and kids have gotten shot. Education at a young age is the key.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:32 PM
  • President Bush said he supported keeping the Assault Weapon Ban in place when he took office. He did not, however, push for any legislation extending it. The Congress did not pass any such legislation, nor did the Senate. Studies conducted indicated that the 10-year ban had had no appreciable effect on crime.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:03 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:53 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • The hunting and sporting aspect of gun ownership is a diversion to the real reason for the amendment.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 11:57 PM
  • The Whitehouse has attempted to prove that Mr. Obama goes shooting, including a photo of him doing so on its website:

http://whitehouse.gov1.info/camp-david/index.html

http://whitehouse.gov1.info/camp-david/camp-david-skeet.jpg

The problem is, as other sites have noted, the photo bears a remarkable similarity to a previously-released photo of him golfing:

http://polipundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/obama-golf-675x1024.jpg

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:24 AM
  • Sorry, My bad. The Whitehouse website is a parody site. The photo was run in a magazine, fooled as I was, as real.

I try to be smarter than that.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:46 AM
  • The site is a parody. The real story is that a couple of liberal news media organizations immediately took the photo and said "See! This is evidence that he does shoot skeet". They were scammed into a knee-jerk response to CNN and others asking "Show us proof that Obama shoots guns at Camp David".

Notice the silence from the white house. This guy lies every time he opens his mouth. That's not the problem. He's a pathologic liar. The problem is the Obama-believers that will take anything he says as truth and the rest of us suffer for it.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:09 AM
  • Are you saying he 'putts' with a shotgun... I'm not playing golf with him!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:44 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:44 AM

No, no, no! He shoots with putter! Kinda like everything he does - puttsing around. :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:51 AM
  • I like the premise of the thread, but am not so impressed with the discussion. I would think local gun enthusiasts would be esthetic with this approach. I go back to my original statement on another speak-out, I think some fear they will not "qualify" for ownership.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:37 AM
  • Nothing like getting petty, every politician lies, that is how they make a living. If it wasn't for lying and plunder, Washington D.C. would still be a swamp.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:24 AM

The thing about is Obama gets a pass on all his. Then look what happened to Bubba and it was a personal thing.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:42 AM
  • I like the premise of the thread, but am not so impressed with the discussion. I would think local gun enthusiasts would be esthetic with this approach. I go back to my original statement on another speak-out, I think some fear they will not "qualify" for ownership.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:37 AM

Haven't you figured out yet that everything The President says or does is vilified on these forums. They might as well rename them the Cranky old men against O'Bama forums.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:53 AM
  • Haven't you figured out yet that everything The President says or does is vilified on these forums. They might as well rename them the Cranky old men against O'Bama forums.

-- Posted by 3forone on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:53 AM

He lied again. It just shows he will say what you want to hear. This is sales 101. I;m not easily sold.

Uh Oh

"The only time he shot skeet was for President's Cup," said the source, referring to a shooting competition tradition involving the presidential Marine guards. "I was there. He stayed for about five minutes, and couldn't leave fast enough."

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:27 AM
  • Der Fuhrer has been caught in a lie again. I would bet he shoots skeet about like he throws in a first pitch at baseball.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 1:13 AM
  • I see Regret, that you have posted proof positive that he did NOT lie, but that he has shot skeet. What difference would it make if he left quickly or not? I would rather see someone move with a purpose than to dawdle with none.

It seems mr. Wheels sleeps in the day and wakes at night. Just kidding. Perhaps you work long hours too.

Would you have something beneficial to add to the original topic, or just a wish to "slam" again?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 5:43 AM
  • I see Regret, that you have posted proof positive that he did NOT lie, but that he has shot skeet. What difference would it make if he left quickly or not? I would rather see someone move with a purpose than to dawdle with none.

It seems mr. Wheels sleeps in the day and wakes at night. Just kidding. Perhaps you work long hours too.

Would you have something beneficial to add to the original topic, or just a wish to "slam" again?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 5:43 AM

Reasoning,

If you did more than 'Hit and Run' on here and kept up, you would not post anything so silly. My lifestyle is no big secret I have spoken of it before. I get up and go to bed as it suits me. I retired after many many hours of hard work and still do work on line from wherever I find myself.

Being a free male person of over 21 years (some 50 years ago) I feel this is my right. Please tell me where I err in that thinking.

Slam again..... I don't think so. Obama says he shoots Skeet all of the time at Camp David. I think he is a damned liar and will say so if it pleases me.

FYI... it is now 11:15 and I have now been up 2 hours and 9 minutes.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:15 AM
  • "I fail to see how Wheel's sleeping hours have anything to do with this Thread's premise unless skeet shooting is his hobby which would be tuff to do in the dark."

Diss,

Touche!

No, me and Obama appear to have something in Common there, I am not a Skeet Shooter either. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 1:02 PM
  • Actually Diss, Obama and I have other things in Common... biggest one that comes to mind at the moment, I wouldn't make a good president either.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 1:04 PM
  • "I see Regret, that you have posted proof positive that he did NOT lie, but that he has shot skeet. What difference would it make if he left quickly or not?"

Note that the quote from Mr. Obama says 'all the time'.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 6:14 AM
  • 'All the time' generally means 'frequently', and is rarely used as constantly.

Of course, this is subjective. What means frequent to you, means less or more to someone else. It makes me wonder if one has to dig this far to come up with a "bone of contention" against the President, perhaps he is doing better than the locals believe.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 8:48 AM
  • perhaps he is doing better than the locals believe. -- Posted by Reasoning on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 8:48 AM

Of course the locals can't interpret things like:

unemployment up higher this month to 7.9%

gas prices very high - possible set a record for this time of year

need 10 more obvious, numerical facts from the locals that actually read and research? Your credibility is questioned when you strongly support a man who says he shoots skeet all the time and then we find out he showed up once to a match at the compound and left in 5 minutes. And you make apologies for him?

Perhaps he is doing much worse than your rose-colored glasses can see?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 8:53 AM
  • "What means frequent to you, means less or more to someone else."

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks "all the time" and "once" are synonymous...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 8:54 AM
  • And you would be hard pressed to prove he has only gone once.

The Dow Jones highest its been since 2007, Dug. Your point?

I do not have any rose colored glasses, but then I don't have blinders on either.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:11 AM
  • "Since 2007 is the alledged beginning of the Great Recession , the Stock Market being higher now then 2007 does not seem like such a great accomplishment to me ."

It's not higher, yet. It merely broke the 14,000 mark briefly today. The high was 14,164, reached in Early October, 2007. That marked the beginning of the first fiscal year under the Democrats, and the beginning of the market's long slide downhill.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:34 AM
  • The Dow Jones highest its been since 2007, Dug. Your point? -- Posted by Reasoning on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:11 AM

Your point indicates you don't understand currency - aka "the Dollar". The DOW hit 14,000. That would be significant if the dollar hasn't dropped as far as it has versus the EU and the Canadian dollar - just two examples.

What you don't understand is the impact of a falling dollar. I guess you would go into a store one year and by a piece of gum for 10cents then come back in a year and buy the same piece for 20 cents and go "Wow - the economy is doing great! Gum is priced double what it used to be!". When in fact your dollar - in that simple example - is worth 1/2 what it was. So while you laud the stock market at 14,000 you don't mention record high gas and food prices. Hmm.... again with the rose-colored glasses.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:39 AM
  • Reasoning, what does the stock market have to do with Obama's Skeet Shooting Prowess.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:56 AM
  • The stock market is bound to go up with the Fed feeding it~~what 11 million a day?

Wheels, Wonder if Chicago style skeet shooting is anything like SEMO snipe hunting.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 12:57 PM
  • Wheels, Wonder if Chicago style skeet shooting is anything like SEMO snipe hunting.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 12:57 PM

Old John,

I imagine it goes more like the Skeet shooting in north St. Louis does.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/360317/3/Motorist-flees-flurry-of-bullets-crash...

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 1:18 PM
  • Strange to me, some companies losing money while there stock price goes up.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 1:21 PM
  • 157,000 jobs added. http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20130201&id=1607025...

Be happy!

Sorry Mr. Wheels, for getting a tad off topic. My response was an answer to Dug who was trying to blame everything wrong in his world on the President.

I really think he just doesn't like to lose. Hopefully he can take his frustrations out on speak out, and be a kind, easy going person in real life. Have you heard the saying "whipping boy"?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 7:39 PM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 7:39 PM

You have mental tendencies just like another poster. I post facts about the economy, unemployment, etc. and you cry foul. I would expect no less from an in-the-tank Obama democrat.

Sorry - gonna take more than that to get me rattled. Somehow you feel the need to get personal and "analyze" posters. I am an easy going person in life - I hang with many friends and family that don't tolerate lazy people and work hard to earn a living and enjoy life.

Can't say the same for your "gang".

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 10:08 PM
  • Actually that is typical of the in the tank for Obama media. If he went coon hunting with four dogs and the coons drowned three dogs, the media would say Obama went coon hunting and saved a dog.

The 157,000 jobs created equals the one dog scenario.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:18 PM
  • the media would say Obama went coon hunting and saved a dog. -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:18 PM

Or the media would spin the story and say Obama went dog hunting with some coons and had a successful hunt - he personally killed 3 dogs.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 9:11 AM
  • What kind of dogs were those Dug? :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 9:29 AM
  • What kind of dogs were those Dug? :-) -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 9:29 AM

You'd have to ask Obama - he's one of the few people I know of that has written about and talked about the dog he ate. :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 11:07 AM
  • Barney is no longer, the Bush pet died when he heard John Kerry was to take Hillary's place. Not sure if Dick Chaney was hunting with him when he heard. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 12:21 PM
  • Yes Obama does "shoot off" his mouth. And a pretty good shot at that, we suspect.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 3:41 PM
  • Yes Dick Cheney likes guns. Just ask Harry Whittington!

Yes Mr. Dissident, you can find worrying signs everyday of the year, every year of the decade and so on.... You can also find positive news everyday of the year, every year of the decade and so on...

No Mr. John, saying it was like your coon scenario, would be saying 157k were created but 471k were lost. Do you have proof of this?

Yes Dug, I work hard. And, I am happy too!

-- Posted by Reasoning on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 4:39 PM
  • Heard a Democrat and a Republican both agree on one thing last night on one of the talk shows. The true rate of unemployment, which includes those who have quit looking for work, is higher right now than when Obama took office. So what has he accomplished in his 4 years?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 6:24 PM
  • The white house photo today was photoshopped by Jay Carney. The REAL Obama skeet shooting photo is here:

http://i.imgur.com/90YDdm2.jpg

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 9:27 PM
  • Dug, The White House warns those that would photo shop the official picture. The story is on Drudge.

And the officical picture shows blue smoke gushing out of the barrel but also shows smoke blowing straight up from just in front of the sights. Is this something new in vented barrels?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:51 AM
  • I've seen multiple photo-shopped images of Obama's famous "shootin' skeet all the time" WH picture. I'll bet the Secret Service has already visited those that would dare modify the king's image.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:01 PM
  • And now Obama suddenly remembering he uses weapons as well .

worrying signs indeed .

-- Posted by Dissident. on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:12 PM

Come on Diss... you know he is just one of us. One of the good old boys. All we need now is have Old John take him on a snipe hunt after we all been sitting around the camp fire having a couple of beers.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:24 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:51 AM

That picture was already Photoshopped. I all my years I have never seen a blast like that. Just another fake picture of a fake president.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:53 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 1:50 PM
  • I liked it too Spaniard.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 5:51 PM

Respond to this thread