Speak Out: Is Fox News Bad News?

Posted by DADES on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:16 AM:

Most people I know -- even conservatives -- agree that Fox News is slanted conservative. Even their "news" segments, which are supposed to be separate from their "opinion" segments, tend to have a conservative bias to them. After a quick scan of the top headlines on different MSM news sites I see various stories about a plane overshooting an airport, explosion in Porto Rico, ESPN stalker, etc. Fox News' top headlines are all political and all but one have an obvious conservative slant.

I don't mean to imply that other networks never report stories with a liberal bias, but at least I have seen a mix of liberal and conservative views on other networks. Fox on the other hand seems to primarily stick to stories that pander to its conservative base.

My question is, do you think that Fox News could be starting a media war of escalation where other news networks stop reporting events as they happen and start only reporting stories that support the existing views of a particular demographic while downplaying or ignoring opposing views?

Replies (49)

• Do they cloud the line? Yes.

But it is still up to the individual to use filters.

The worst part of FOX are their opinion shows that people consider actual news shows, but are not. Bill O'Riely, Etc.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:28 AM
  • IMO, the only non-biased news source is c-span, and that channel is as interesting as watching paint dry

-- Posted by Producer1 on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:38 AM
  • IMO, the only non-biased news source is c-span, and that channel is as interesting as watching paint dry

-- Posted by Producer1 on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:38 AM
  • Oh Wow! Is Fox News still on the air!?!

-- Posted by TheCamp on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:46 AM
  • Lumber, you're just annoyed that all information sources don't reflect your own narrow views.

Dades, can't you see the contradiction of you position. You are admitting to watching other information sources which means you could not be watching Fox at the same time. How do you know what you don't see FOR YOURSELF?

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:48 AM
  • Now, now, Camp, go on back to your toy box.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:51 AM
  • Lumber, you're just annoyed that all information sources don't reflect your own narrow views.

Dades, can't you see the contradiction of you position. You are admitting to watching other information sources which means you could not be watching Fox at the same time. How do you know what you don't see FOR YOURSELF?

Hardly.

Frankly, I don't care where people get their news, as long as they simply listen to the facts and form their own opinion. I have the same problem with people who only get their "facts" from Oberman and such. For example, how many times to people give their opinion on this board only to back it up with an oped piece and not a ture news story.

And actually, the only show that ever actually came close to equalling my political opinion is South Park. And I think we all can agree that it is obviously not news.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:03 PM
  • Fox is just as bias to the conservative view as MSNBC or CNN is to the liberal view. O'riely and Hannity or just as far out there as Olbermann or Maddow's.

You have to take it all with a grain of salt and not depend on any one source for your information.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:17 PM
  • Man, you have no idea how distressed I am to hear that I don't live up to the standards others set for me.

I watch FOX and even occasionally O'Rielly as well as other sources and really don't think FOX is as described. I agree that you shouldn't depend on one source for your news, unless of course you want to.

-- Posted by RA on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:21 PM
  • James,

Agreed. I swallowed a gnat once and I don't need to do it again to know I wouldn't like it.

-- Posted by RA on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:47 PM
  • I for one do not understand the extreme hatred for Fox that the radical left wingers exhibit. I can't stand Keith Olbermann, MSNBC, or CNN so I just don't watch it.

-- Posted by carternicholas on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:46 PM

Doesn't that answer your question kind of?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:54 PM
  • What you see depends on what you're looking for. Anonymous

-- Posted by RA on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:57 PM
  • Damnit, sometimes those are painful. ☻

"....President Obama because he made them all look like fools by winning a landslide election over the republican party..."

-- Posted by cadillacman on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 12:59 PM

Is that true? ...a landslide?

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:06 PM
  • You lost me on the runaway paragraph.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:07 PM
  • Cadillac, you neglected to preface your posting with three words: "In my opinion" because that is all you gave...your opinion. That is all good and well as is your right, but factual it was not.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:28 PM
  • Our cable system for some inexplicable reason has dropped WSNBC. Why, we do not know. So can't comment of that channel but resent it being dropped.

Also the cable offers several forums. They have "moderators", ie., censors who lock down any thread critical of Obama and discusses religion.

As a conservative, I resent the dropping of MSNBC and censorship in all forms by any name whatever.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:42 PM
  • . Fox News is not the problem, the whole MSM is the problem

-- Posted by James Nall on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:21 PM

Most intelligent sentence on this thread so far

Cadillac, you neglected to preface your posting with three words: "In my opinion" because that is all you gave...your opinion. That is all good and well as is your right, but factual it was not.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:28 PM

Doesn't the fact that he posted it on the the OPINION section of the website already tell you that. I didn't see anyone else preface their post with "in my opinion". Where's your diatribe to them? Perhaps you're targeting him because his opinion differs from yours.

-- Posted by Producer1 on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 1:50 PM
  • "Fox News is the highest rated NEWS channel on TV. I don't think anyone will argue that. But does that mean they report news accurately and factually? I often see articles here on the Vine regarding this subject. I wonder something. Why do conservatives always say something like this when defending Fox New's reporting credibility..."Fox News has the highest ratings on TV, more than MSNBC, CNN, and ABC combined."

Am I completely off base here or is this really stupid to say. What does having the highest ratings have to do with reporting fair, accurate, and bi-partisan news?

So I will ask a question, is Fox News' ratings related at all to the credibility of their reporting of the news and current events? Now I know what the conservatives will write here. It will go something like this....."Yes, Fox News has the highest ratings on TV, more than MSNBC, CNN, and ABC combined so of course they're a credible source for facts and news." Well Mr. Conservative, that's all great and grand, but Fox News is undoubtedly the most biased, in the tank, Republican heavy, non-newsworthy source of information on the planet."

Source: Newsvine.com

Rumour has it...Fox News is up for an Emmy. Best Drama in a Day Time/Night Time series.

Nothing about actual news though.

I also heard HBO may take them over.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 2:35 PM
  • I've always thought that Fox news is slanted, but I only notice because it's not slanted in my direction. CNN doesn't seem slanted to me, I don't get near as mad listening to it as I do listening to Fox.

A coworker of mine swears CNN is slanted, but not Fox. Of course, she feels that way because she agrees with what is discussed on Fox and can't stand CNN.

I have trouble finding news that isn't slanted by reporters in some way, while at the same time being entertaining.

I wish they wouldn't filter it so much. I hate being told what I am interested in.

-- Posted by GoodStory on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 2:44 PM
  • As for why Fox has the highest ratings, I think that is easy. Liberals split their viewing between ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC. Liberals have options while conservatives tune in to Fox. The difference between Fox and the other MSM is that on the other networks I have seen liberal slanted stories followed by conservative slanted stories. I have never kept track of the ratio, there may well indeed be more liberal biased stories than conservative but other networks have at least pretended or tried to present themselves as providing more than just one side of the story. However, Fox is blatantly conservative. Fox doesn't tell you what you need to know, they tell you what you want to hear, so conservatives watch Fox to validate their own pre-existing beliefs.

My concern is that one of the other networks may try to leapfrog Fox by being the anti-Fox network, providing only liberal slanted propaganda and rhetoric. If that works, the other networks may follow suit and unbiased information that isn't trying to push some political agenda may become even harder to come by.

-- Posted by DADES on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 2:57 PM
  • Dades, can't you see the contradiction of you position. You are admitting to watching other information sources which means you could not be watching Fox at the same time. How do you know what you don't see FOR YOURSELF?

Do you mean to tell me that every time I change the channel from Fox, they show a pro liberal story and when I turn back to Fox they do a pro conservative story? Those sneaky b*stards!

-- Posted by DADES on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 3:06 PM
  • My question to DADES, and the one enquiring minds want to know, is which news network has the hottest female anchorwomen?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 4:18 PM
  • Heh, heh, heh. I hope that all networks' anchorwomen are female, but WTF, it's the 21st century.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 4:20 PM
  • ... every time I change the channel from Fox, they show a pro liberal story and when I turn back to Fox they do a pro conservative story? Those sneaky b*stards!

-- Posted by DADES on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 3:06 PM

Okay, admit it everyone ... That's funny!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 4:49 PM
  • "This is no BS Meg. HBO, Showtime, Max, ect. is ultra liberal and gay rights. You won't find anything proudconservative on them but you will see all of the anti conservative movies, documentaries, and can we say Politically Correct with Mr. Bill. I get them all 82 of them. And there is still nothing on. :)"

Sniffles!!! YOU telling me Tony Soprano was a Liberal? LOL!

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 5:17 PM
  • FOX News has the highest ratings among cable channels. However, not one of their shows comes within half of the nightly ratings of the lowest rated (nationally) nightly news telecast, that being the CBS Evening News. That is a fact. Also, the FOX News viewer tends to stay with FOX News for long periods of time. Where other cable news viewers pop in and watch for shorter periods of time. FOX viewers get counted multiple times as the sample crosses multiple quarter hours. This keeps their ratings high.

-- Posted by MOblues on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 6:13 PM
  • Well, MOblues, you gotta admit them thar Fox conservative viewers are consistent.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 6:50 PM
  • Consistent, yeah.

I just think it's funny that people take the FOX News claim of being #1 as the truth. That only applies to cable, FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, and CNBS, etc. As a follow up, I did not intend to slam The CBS Evening News. 6 to 7 million people watch it most nights. Of the 3 nightly national newscast on the networks, it's usually the lowest rated. Any one of the network nightly news shows, CBS, ABC, and NBC, blow FOX News out of the water. And by a lot of viewers. If you combined all the FOX News evening shows, they might beat Katie Couric.

-- Posted by MOblues on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 7:23 PM
  • My opinion differs from everybody, or had y'all not noticed.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 7:32 PM
  • Looks like some spin the no spin zone.

Check this. The numbers listed represent thousands of viewers. This is from last night. If you look further back you'll notice they stay fairly similar.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/the_scoreboard_thursday_october_22_1...

Compared to recent broadcast news average weekly ratings.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/06/nbc-nightly-news-with-brian-williams-wins-t...

The math show that it takes FOX News hours to top what the networks pull in 30 minutes.

It also show that FOX News stomps all the other cable news channels, by a lot. So take from it what you will. But you can't deny that more people watch the network nightly news show. The numbers don't lie.

-- Posted by MOblues on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 8:18 PM
  • well without reading all the replies to this post i disagree.

i think fox uses common sense in the way they report the news. they're not as slanted as say mike wallace for crying out loud.

maybe they represent conservatism but that's a good thing. our country was founded on conservatism and our way of life is rooted in free market capitalism and without it we'll be the next country trying to get rid of our own iron curtain.

just keep giving government more and more authority over every facet of our lives.... healthcare! are you listening? our government can't even get swine flu vaccine moving and yes they are in charge of it.

a government that can fire a ceo or force a bank to take bailout money can more easily rule your life.

-- Posted by wonderfulneighbors on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 8:40 PM
  • Wonderful, your last sentence is the jist of the matter.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 11:48 PM
  • "My opinion differs from everybody, or had y'all not noticed."

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 7:32 PM

Oh yes...we do all notice. Funny how your opinion IS always different, and wrong.

wonderfulneighbors,

Joining the Band of Idiots?

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Sat, Oct 24, 2009, at 7:28 AM
  • But don't you see, Ego Bigot, that's the fun of it! Being different and wrong (to you) makes it more interesting and right.

Of course, it's being unreasonable to expect you to understand.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 24, 2009, at 8:45 AM
  • http://mediamatters.org/research/

11500 articles here on media lies/untruths/half truths/exaggerations

75%+ are probably from Fox "News"

Faux News is more like it

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sat, Oct 24, 2009, at 9:12 AM
  • Last night as I surfed between CNN,MSNBC and FOX. I watched a host on CNN say that "Pres. Bush deserved all of his bad press but, Pres. Obama does not".

Like I said before you can find the fringe on both sides of the issue. Buyer beware.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Sat, Oct 24, 2009, at 9:13 AM
  • 11500 articles here on media lies/untruths/half truths/exaggerations

75%+ are probably from Fox "News"

Faux News is more like it

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sat, Oct 24, 2009, at 9:12 AM

Hillary Clinton openly admitted to co-found media matters. Dont you think it may be a tad bit biased when "exposing bias"? Nice try though!

-- Posted by luv2argue on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 8:30 AM
  • Maybe someone already said this but: The majority of the evening shows on all of these cable new networks are not news shows. Instead, they are simply commentators on whats going on in the news. They are more like editorials than news reports. The news reports typically come on late afternoon or earlier in the evening. I dont think Hannity or O'Reilly have ever claimed to be "news men".

-- Posted by luv2argue on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 8:35 AM
  • On the other hand, some who claim or have claimed to be "news men" aren't or weren't. Dan Rather of unlamented recollection comes to mind.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 8:44 AM
  • Agreed, but sometimes these commentators/pundits/entertainers which would include Olberman, Matthews etc in addition to those you mentioned begin to take themselves too seriously as do the viewers and critics.

If this continues I am afraid one might even decide they should run for office. Thankfully the electorate is so well informed and discerning that person could never be elected...

-- Posted by RA on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 8:47 AM
  • James,

Your last comment reminded me of the conversation that we shared a couple of weeks ago regarding the theory that most of this country's problems stem from a system that is not unique or "American" in it's form or function, but is instead based upon, and dependent on European-style government.

We got it right with the Articles of Confederation.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 9:57 AM
  • Voyager: You will have to admit that when Dan Rather reported the state of Alabama was not attacked by North Viet Nam during Bush's tour of duty there, that it was honest and truthful reporting.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 10:59 AM
  • howdydoody,

I had friends who spent their time in service during the Vietnam war in Kansas, Alaska, Texas, Japan, Germany, Korea and Viet Nam. You may be comfortable denigrating those who served their country in any capacity, but I don't.

-- Posted by RA on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 11:08 AM
  • TripleS;

I spent my time in Viet Nam (infantry) did you?

Don't preach to me about denigrating anybody. You were probably a flag waving draft dodger like Cheney who now seems to know how to win a war. I do not denigrate anyone who served in the military either in peace time or war time. However, I will say what I want about these "chicken hawks" who have us in the mess we are in know. Are you one of those "chicken hawks" a/k/a Cheney's Troops.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 11:43 AM
  • Howdy, re: Dan Rather.

It was his only once brief but shining hour!

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 1:08 PM
  • James,

I have heard some arguments that say the POTUS has more power than any European king would ever imagine.

I can almost agree with that statement, especially considering the powers that Congress has given the office of POTUS; thereby relegating the people's representative body to an ineffective Parliment of W-hores.

But like kings of old the President acts in the best interests of his handlers. Swap the Church for the globalists, and the trade guilds for the military / industrial complex and there is no perceptable difference between European kings, and the President of the United States.

This country went 20 years with a POTUS named either Bush or Clinton. Both families still shape policy. The new Obama regime has, and will not change the coarse of events set by his predecessors.

Public discoarse and peaceful critism of the government through the exercise of freedom of speech is still allowed. However, there are those liberty deprived, and properly trained citizens that would surrender that right in the name of "patriotism".

http://www.semissourian.com/story/158153...

There are several good articles on LRC this weekend about preparing for the inevitable. This article pretty much sums up where I am at right now...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/crovelli/crov...

Mark Crovelli's writing has matured in a very short time. I think that his writings are now in the "must read" category.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 1:45 PM
  • Defy,

If an individual is enslaved, but doesn't realize it, are they technically enslaved?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 5:27 AM
  • I love this. ABC is All Barack Chanel. NBC, CNN, CBS are all in love with Obama and report nothing negative about him. FoxNews is the ONLY news channel that reports conservatively.... and you blanking democrats can't stand it! You want total worship of Obama and can not stand ONE voice that offers a different opinion!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 7:28 AM
  • If a tree in the forest crashed to the ground and no one is there to hear the crash, does the tree make a noise?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 8:41 PM

Respond to this thread