Speak Out: Anger at GSA reaches 'boiling point'

Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 10:05 AM:

Seems like the list of "a few bad players" is growing. Add 11 more for the Not So Secret Service hooker trip to Colombia.

Replies (24)

• I'm sure this kind of spending is rampant amoung the departments and now people are scrambling all over to cover their tracks. If true accountability were in place, many people would get fired but our budget could be smaller as a result of less flagrant waste. We need to run the gubmint more like a bidness in this regard.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 10:26 AM
  • :) Obama was giving a speach at Hooker's Point when the scandal broke.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 10:27 AM
  • Oh my! The hypocracy of government. They take our money in the guise of for the good of the people; only to be spent on themselves and then justify it. You get the government you voted for. This is the result of voting for the same corrupt career politicians to government office. And the corruption is worst from the oval office. George W. Bush can't be blamed for this one. This is all Barry Boy.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • This is just another example of the problems with big government. By attempting to be all things to all people the government has grown so large and complex that it is impossible to maintain oversight over the goings on in government. This is not entirely a Democrat vs. Republican issue.

It is time for the people to stand up and demand that power be decentralized. Return the power to state and local governments. Insist on a small federal government as the constitution was intended to maintain. There will still be corruption in government but government will be closer to the people and easier for them to influence.

With a decentralized government, lobbyists will not be able to exert the influence they have today.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 12:06 PM
  • What happened to the forums on the front page of the SEMissourian? They're gone?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 12:39 PM
  • Dug, I mine went to news instead of home page.

```````````

I wonder if this scandeal can be a diversion from this scandal:

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/04/16/video-gsa-official-pleads-5th-amendment-in-...

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 1:03 PM
  • From Wikipedia: The General Services Administration (GSA) is an independent agency of the United States government, established in 1949 to help manage and support the basic functioning of federal agencies. The GSA supplies products and communications for U.S. government offices, provides transportation and office space to federal employees, and develops government-wide cost-minimizing policies, and other management tasks.[3]

I thought the "and develops government-wide cost-minimizing policies" was interesting. Guess they don't apply their job to their job.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 3:02 PM
  • It's Bush's fault.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 4:42 PM
  • It shall be extremely interest to observe which Spreak Out contributors shall be noticably quiet on this subject.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 4:48 PM
  • Once again our politicians get to pretend to be penny-wise in order to smokescreen the BILLIONS more dollars they waste everyday.

-- Posted by Nil on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 5:07 PM

Let's just let it go. Since there is so much money wasted no sense in getting in an uproar over a few million here and there. Lets just set back, do nothing and drink a beer. I mean government knows more about money management than I do. I wish I was in bankruptcy like them.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 5:33 PM
  • "Just a measly 800k distraction from all the budget issues that are actually meaningful. The government blows 800k every 7 seconds and if Congress wastes more than 16 seconds discussing this issue they have added more to our debt than the GSA partied away."

This is the kind of thinking that makes America great.... don't worry bout a few "measly" hundred thouand dollars here and there.

The GSA was established in 1949. They obviously are doing little to nothing that they were intended to do. Let Congress show they work for the American people. Let them pass a bill to abolish the GSA in this election year and show they have some gonads. A little show of bipartisanship and let's see if Obama has the "boys" to veto it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 6:40 PM
  • Wheels

Who is going to keep costs down without the GSA? Obama? Think this is bad? Wait until they are in charge of healthcare which is almost 20% of the GDP. I bet it doubles within 15 years.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 7:49 PM
  • Jay Purcell pointed out another little disgression in that the GSA rejected the county bid for the federal building because it didn't meet the asking price; then they sold it for less than half that.

I'm reminded of how government works and recall Hillary saying we should get our people in there. [Whitehouse travel agency] That's the way these people think, - what good is a public agency if it doesn't benefit us.

Sad when the wasters of our money have grown to such numbers they need more money wasters to keep them organized.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 8:29 PM
  • Sad when the wasters of our money have grown to such numbers they need more money wasters to keep them organized.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 8:29 PM

Well said Old John.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 10:31 PM
  • TC, Bush put his people "in there" discretly while Obama is a more in your face type.

How much will it take before the American people realize that business as usual has become unusual?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Apr 18, 2012, at 10:53 PM
  • Well, can't be said that any of us on Speak Out who gripe made the difference; but someone has surely been busy behind the scenes looking for irresponsibility in government.

I doubt if this is just a Democrat problem, however. All it takes to find a way to spend someone else's money is to be elected to office or given a bureaucratic position.

Instead of these committees being so accusatory, why aren't they asking for simple explanations and complete financial records. That should leave no room for pleading the Fifth and should be enough to warrant a complete turnaround.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 1:17 AM
  • Forums are now under the opinion option at top of page. Newspaper is trying to keep certain posters lost.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 6:06 AM
  • "That was inexcuseable in itself. But where do some of you get off thinking it is anyway President Obama's fault?"

Caddy,

Why of course that wouldn't be the 'Campaigner in Chief's" fault. Only the good things that happen to are to be credited to him. Single handed he went into Afganistan and routed out Osama, but controlling what happens to those directly under his watch as Commander in Chief... he is not responsible.

Sorry you had to fill in for Common on this. I have been waiting for an update and for him to put a positive light on the Secret Service Scandal, the GSA Scandal and the Solyndra Scandal along with a few other things run amuck in Washington.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 10:35 AM
  • Wheels, Common may still be trying to find the page where the forums moved to. :)

Caddie, You discredit black people by implying all condone such hate driven violence.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 10:51 AM
  • I guess according to Cady obama has a da tail team now?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 10:52 AM
  • So Black America calmed down and let white america slide a little, just to keep the peace and try to move on with race relations in this country.

-- Posted by cadillacman on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 10:12 AM

Thanks black America for "letting us slide" We owe ya one.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 12:28 PM
  • If I read Cadillacman's post correctly, he considers this 'Black America' to be a seething cauldron of anger, ready to explode at a moment's notice if things don't go their way. Apparently, they are willing to disrupt American society if they are not appeased.

We call that 'threats of terrorism' when other groups do the same thing.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 2:11 PM
  • Fortunately, I dont' believe the majority of America's black population, who do not believe they have their own, separate, America, behave as Cadillacman wants us to believe.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 2:13 PM
  • Hey ted, lets see you "catch scratch fever" your way out of that one. pay the fine and shut up.

-- Posted by cadillacman on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 10:25 AM

No fine and no jail. Its over.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 5:14 PM

Respond to this thread