Speak Out: Is society in general becoming less civil?

Posted by GREYWOLF on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 7:38 PM:

Yes absolutely! Social behavior is lacking especially with these young kids that would rather play games on their puters then socialize outside with other kids face to face! Parents are as much to blame. Its easier to deal with their kids when they are in their rooms playing games.

I believe the current state of the economy is also playing a large roll in being less civil and less patients, not to mention what our Government has done to cause people to be less civil. The world is a different place then it was 30 years ago and civility in America has gone down hill since. I believe the consequences of this lack of civility will eventually play a large part towards our downfall.

Replies (13)

• yes

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 8:00 PM
  • Nah, Rick...I think we are just getting old.

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 8:48 PM
  • Rick,

I am way more civil in reality then I am on here.

-- Posted by Pups on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 9:06 PM
  • I is who I is. On here are in person!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 9:24 PM
  • Would you make that:

I is who I is. On here or in person!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 9:25 PM
  • Wheels,

For you and a few others, I believe that. But alot of others maybe not.

-- Posted by Pups on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 9:46 PM
  • Thanks Pups.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 9:56 PM
  • Guess (sadly and reluctantly) I sort of have to agree that 'society' is becoming (has become) less civil. But of course that's just a personal opinion based upon ... well, everything from the lack of manners, the preponderance (is that a word?) of language our 'grandmothers' would have shuddered at, the politicians and media seemingly encouraging conflict ...

Um ... Turnip ... Getting old means one has seen a lot of changes and some can still remember 'The Good Old Days.' Old doesn't necessarily mean getting grumpy ... just ask Wheels if you don't believe me! ~laughing~

Maybe it's just that we have more means of expressing ourselves that we did not have a decade or two ago? Or perhaps it could be based upon individual perceptions of civility? Or on the things that Theorist mentioned ... good points.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 11:07 PM
  • In general, society is not less civil. In my daily life I seldom see uncivil behavior. The radical fringes on both the left and right have become more vocal because the media radicals make them feel more "legitimate." Then it's much easier for them to be uncivil anonymously over the internet or gather together as a faceless group.

-- Posted by 2times2 on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 5:48 AM
  • On one hand, it ain't Dodge City. My grandfather use to tell us stories about how his teacher brought a hand gun to class and kept it in front of him on the desk.

On the other hand, our family structure doesn't contribute to civility like it might of in the past. I was greatly influenced by the presence of my grandparents, and minding manners was a big deal in our upbringing.

I still find to this day that responding to folks with a 'you're welcome' and 'thank you' and 'yes Ma'am' or 'no sir' reflects well on you as a person.

Most the folks I interact with on a daily basis are good hearted people, and most of the kids I run across are trying.

Maybe it's the slime oozing from the video that makes things seem so repulsive these days.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 5:58 AM
  • -- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 8:40 AM
  • Cause of bad manners:

Fast food causes heartburn and sour stomach.

Too much beer causes nasty mouth.

Together result in lose of good judgment.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 4:59 PM
  • Well ... Yes, things have changed for some reason ... Dad and Mom both working and not having the energy or wanting to take personal time to instill manners or a little sense of decorum in their children, maybe?

Or seeing manners not as important as being 'a friend' to their children?

Don't know that it will make a lot of difference in the long run ... because those who do seem to have been taught some of societies 'niceties' are fast becoming a minority.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 12:52 PM

Respond to this thread