Speak Out: Terry "Burn a Koran" Jones......Cape Girardeau native?

Posted by cptfa on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 8:06 PM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_World_Outreach_Center

KZIM reported he is a graduate of Cape Central. Anyone remember this clown??

Replies (103)

• I predict we will soon hear that he was Rush Limbaugh's pastor.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 8:33 PM
  • Could add his childhood home to the tour of Cape! I can see the tourists flocking to the city now!

-- Posted by cptfa on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 9:22 PM
  • I think he was valedictorian Class of 1970. If my memory serves me, and was voted most likely to be beheaded. Stay strong brother and make Cape proud!

-- Posted by WittenfetusFan on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 9:41 PM
  • I believe you will find the Limbaugh family are members of Centenary United Methodist Church which does not participate in book burnings of any sort.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 10:22 PM
  • If the good Pastor Jones is indeed connected to the Phelp's family's Westboro Baptist Church, then there is no ultimate point other than using this well known sensitivity as a vehicle to promote their existance and solicit those who would follow with cash donations to seek them out.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 1:48 PM
  • Koran burning is Jackassery 101 for the simpleminded with too much time onn their hands.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:02 PM
  • I don't know that Terry Jones of Koran-burning fame was a Cape native, but he and Rush Limbaugh were both members of the Central High School Class of 1969.

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/students/koran-burn-terry-jones-rush-limbaugh/

Interesting coincidence that two of Cape's best-known exports were in the same class.

-- Posted by ksteinhoff on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:18 PM
  • If you can burn a flag, shouldn't you be able to burn a book?

Shouldn't the people that support flag-burning support this too?

-- Posted by bam-bam on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:25 PM
  • Wow I am impressed with Palin's statement. That might be a first too.

the backlash is already starting. Sadly it makes people, and wrongly so, ****** at all Americans and not the idiot or handful of idiots who are doing this.

Hopefully he gets put in jail since he does not have a permit to do the burning. Maybe the church will ban him to.

It is one thing to do something because it is legal, it is another to be a complete *** about it. On top of that, making so much publicity about it too. One year in cape I was going to burn leaves, completely legal, however my neighbor was having a family reunion and the wind was blowing towards his house. I could have definately burned the leaves as it was my right, but I choose not to. I thought the church was about kindness?

-- Posted by futile_rant on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:26 PM
  • So. Are we now checking into Lea Johnson, Bill Johnson, Barbara Jordan, Girard Kaiser, Tara Kaiser, and the rest of the classmates?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:27 PM
  • futile_rant wrote:

"Hopefully he gets put in jail since he does not have a permit to do the burning. Maybe the church will ban him to."

He requested a permit to hold the burning, and was told that none was needed. That was reported in one of the earlier stories.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:28 PM
  • Well, let's look on the bright side, we haven't quite come down to people yet. (Or have we)?

Anyway, I don't recall a people burning within my memory.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:39 PM
  • I'll rephrase Spaniard --

If you can support burning a flag, shouldn't you support burning a book?

Do you have a link Spaniard for any of the flag-burning supporters chiming in with their support of this Koran burning? I can't seem to find one. I did however, find multiple articles from flag-burning supporters wanting this activity to cease.

-- Posted by bam-bam on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 3:06 PM
  • Wasn't Terry Jones a member of Monty Python's Flying Circus in 1969?

-- Posted by non-biasedphilosopher on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 3:13 PM
  • -- Posted by bam-bam on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 3:34 PM
  • I just hope Mr. Jones doesn't ask for government protection after he put a target on his back. You know some crazies burn books while others burn churches.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 3:55 PM
  • apparently it has been cancelled since the mosque 2 blocks from ground zero is being moved.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 4:31 PM
  • I never said anything about government involvement, or the book-burning legality. Just whether the LOGIC of supporting one issue should lead you to support the other.

The logic of the decision behind supporting one, should hold true for the logic of supporting the other. Agree?

If someone is ok with burning a flag, due to some sort of protest against, although the flag represents a mighty symbol to some -- then shouldn't you be ok with the logic of burning a book, due to some sort of protest against, although the book is too a mighty symbol to some?

Seems kind of hypocritical to support one but not the other, when the logic behind them is so similar.

-- Posted by bam-bam on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 4:57 PM
  • I read earlier that Obama was strongly recomending that the pastor abandon this "stunt".

Now if we could get him to do the same with the Muslims regarding building within a couple of blocks of the World Trade Center site, I could see him as asking for equal treatment of both situations. Taking sides in his position is unacceptable. Both actions are legal but inadvisable... he should treat them as such.

Now I just read where Reverend Jones claims to have reached an agreement with the Moslems to move the building elsewhere and he won't burn the books.

If that is true and he indeed gets that job accomplished maybe we should ask Obama to step down and let Jones finish his term. Certainly seems more effective. Yeah, I know, it doesn' work that way.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 5:11 PM
  • Building a Mosque is not insensitive nor an unnecessary provocation. Its a place of worship. If you can't handle other people's religious beleifs, you probably shouldn't be in this country.

Its funny how people are comparing that to the book burning. I see that people say he shouldn't burn the book, which is true.

However, I don't see you people say that he should not be allowed to have a church or worhsip as he pleases because he wants to burn the book.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 5:45 PM
  • -- Posted by J Purcell on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 7:24 PM
  • Lumber,

Some days I wonder about you!

I never said anything about building a Mosque per se. The muslims have ever right to build a Mosque or whatever they have planned on property they own, so long as they meet New York's codes and zoning. It is insensitive to build it at ground zero given the families of the 3000 victims of extremist Islamics that these people refuse to condemn.

The rogue preacher has every right to burn the Koran if he chooses to do so. It is insensitive to do so.

And it has nothing to do with my being able to handle other people's religious beliefs.

Is there anything else I said that you could not wrap your mind around?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 7:40 PM
  • Most likely to be beheaded. lol

-- Posted by cptfa on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 9:41 PM
  • What was bad about what Palin said? If you don't want us to be insensitive how about you do the same.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 9:48 PM
  • Aaah!

Caddy, that one bright spot in an otherwise dreary day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 11:12 AM
  • Ike,

Only want to see the Chief Executive to show equal treatment and quit picking winners and loosers.

He should have kept his mouth shut on both issues but cannot seem to refrain from showing his bias.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 11:37 AM
  • caddy throwing out the race card AGAIN! Wow Caddy- talk about obsession

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 12:11 PM
  • I really want to know what the burning of the Quran has to do with the building of a new mosque?

Have any of you ever been to New York City much less ground zero, then you would know 2 blocks really isn't that close. Remember it's not Cape where anything within several blocks seems like its next door. As far as Obama's statments like most on the right it was a no win, if he didn't say anything then he would be ignoring our country and our troops and since he did make a statement he's using his office to interfere. But Palins got to upon her big uninformed mouth!

-- Posted by cecut on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 2:31 PM
  • I really want to know what the burning of the Quran has to do with the building of a new mosque?

If you don't know and cannot figure it out on your own, you probably wouldn't understand if someone did explain it to you.

Obama has a tendancy to start mouthing off before he has a firm grip on the situation. I certainly do not condone the Rev Jones burning anything sacred to anyone else, but to publicly get up and refer to it as a "stunt" thereby talking down to the Reverend is reminiscent of calling the actions of the police stupid in that little incident that caused the beer summit a while back.

Wonder if Obama will invite the Minister and the Imam in for a couple of beers anytime soon.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 2:49 PM
  • We gonna have trouble with dem dar furiners yet. Jus pack um up and send um home. That'll solve da problem , then we kin git on back to air usual afussin and afightin.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 3:07 PM
  • Have wheels you seem the one who can't figuare it out. You are only repeating what you have heard on - let me guess.. fox news. The news of the burning of Quran has been going on for awile it hasn't been until someone in the media linked it with the building of the mosque did everyone here jump on the band wagon. Again have you been to ground zero? do you know how close the mosque will actually be? How do you relate an entire group of peace loving people to a small group of radical extemeist?

At least Obama know's you spell Quran with a Q not a K.

-- Posted by cecut on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 3:18 PM
  • cecut wrote:

"At least Obama know's you spell Quran with a Q not a K."

It's a phonetic translation of a the arabic word áÞ--*ä. It doesn't matter whether you spell it with a Q or a K or a C.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 3:32 PM
  • cecut wrote:

"How do you relate an entire group of peace loving people to a small group of radical extemeist?"

The same way the Afghani Cleric threatens to kill any American because of the action of one radical preacher. Here in America, we can write off the ravings of the Rev. Jones as just another loudmouth book-burner. However, apparently, to the Pakistani and Afghani protestors we see on television, this guy represents all of America.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 3:37 PM
  • Cecut,

I am repeating nothing I heard elsewhere, I form my own opinions thank you, if that slam about Fox news was supposed to be offensive, try a little harder. Have I been to New York, yes several times. Have I been to the site of the World Trade Center/Ground Zero, no. Do I know what two blocks are, yes I live in a small city.

And don't give me that crap about a block being different in New York, certainly there are some small differences in the length of a block. I have walked those streets as well as the ones in my own town.

Further, the relatives of the 911 Victims consider a pretty wide area to be Ground Zero where body parts of their relatives were discovered.

As I said before, Building the Mosque/Community Center there is within their rights, is it insensitive yes. Burning the Quran is within the Rev Jones right to do so, is it a smart or sensitive thing to do, absolutely not.

Since you do not seem to be a newbie on here, let me ask you a question, which one of the posters, some that I suspect and others I know, with multiple names are you? Possible Suelynn, or Theorist, maybe Ike/Spaniard?

Just a hint for you... you may need spell checker worse than I do.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 5:44 PM
  • Sorry wheels but I am a "newbie" i usually just ignore junk like this, but I've been really bored today! Home sick from work. I know I need spell check but unlike some people i don't spend hours doing this.

And not all of the families of the 9/11 victims feel building the mosque close to ground zero is reason to protest. in fact several have came out in support of it. They also feel the ones who are using this day for their own potical gain are a disgrace to the memory of their loved ones. This would be palin, beck and several other repulicans.

-- Posted by cecut on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 6:11 PM
  • Wheels: How do you explain "a New York minute"?

hehe

-- Posted by howdydoody on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 6:15 PM
  • Same way I explain a "Country Mile" Howdy.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 6:19 PM
  • This would be palin, beck and several other repulicans.

-- Posted by cecut on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 6:11 PM

Beck claims to be a Libertarian I think, definitely not a Republican.

Please don't mention Palin. Most of the far left loonies get their panties in a wad just hearing her name. We went through that last week on one of the threads.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 6:22 PM
  • Apparently, freedom of religion is OK as long as it's my religion. :-)~

Not feeling the love here - the difference between Muslims and their militants (Al-Qaeda, etc) is different from Christians and their militants (KKK, etc), how?

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 7:48 PM
  • But Palins got to upon her big uninformed mouth!

That ruined your credibility.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 8:07 PM
  • He is nothing but a clown who is looking to get attention. the media is doing just what he wants them to do. He definitely is no pastor. He's a phony bigot who is trying to hid behind the title of a pastor. He should get no coverage at all. He and the destruction of his church will definitely suffer if he goes ahead with his plan to burn the books. Just watch the news....you'll see what happens by Saturday or right after! The insider knows.

-- Posted by cadillacman on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 11:03 AM

Are you talking about Sharpton or Jackson? Sorry Cadi,,, I couldn't leave that one alone.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 8:12 PM
  • While Sarah Palin's response to this controversy was rather articulate by the low standards she has set for herself, I think a lot of people overlooked a key statement within her response that I find troubling:

"People have a constitutional right to burn a Koran if they want to, but doing so is insensitive and an unnecessary provocation -- much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."

In other words, the half-term half-wit former governor of Alaska just equated the act of burning The Quran with the proposal to build an Islamic community center and mosque near Ground Zero in New York. Is it just me, or is one of these acts much more insensitive and more of an unnecessary provocation than the other?

That anyone could equate building a mosque two blocks away from the World Trade Center site with burning a book- one with utmost religious significance to over 1 billion people in this world- is unconscionable. Palin speaks of the importance of religious freedom, yet she suggests denying that right to Muslims that support the building of a mosque near the World Trade Center site even though there are already two mosques just blocks away, and the proposed mosque cannot be seen from the WTC site?

Unfortunately, while most Americans would agree that Rev. Terry Jones' plans to burn The Quran are reprehensible, detrimental to our troops, and antithetical to the principles for which our nation stands, they would also accept Mrs. Palin's statement at face value without questioning a statement that is pretzel logic at best and patently offensive at its worst.

Building a mosque near the World Trade Center site may be quite controversial, but it cannot be equated in any way with the highly offensive act of burning The Quran. All of this anti-Islam rhetoric reflects poorly on a nation that was founded in part by people seeking religious freedom, and it only fuels the intense hatred that radical Islamic terrorists have toward our society and others like ours.

Unfortunately, the media's role as the fourth estate died decades ago. And all we're left with are talking heads parroting mindless twaddle from a frequently discredited VP candidate's Facebook and Twitter posts.

But hey, I never thought there would be a Cape Girardeau native more odious than Rush Limbaugh. Guess I was wrong about that!

-- Posted by SEMO2STL on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 8:24 PM
  • Wheels, I have only one name and I post under only one. Get used to it...there are lots of people in the world who don't like or understand your logic.

You have slipped...

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 7:42 PM

Theorist, I didn't say you posted under another name, but you are one of the ones I suspected doing it. If you don't fine.

Regarding those lots of people who do not like or understand my logic... would suspect there is nobody in there that I would care about one way or the other so far as what they thought.

Slipped, ummmm I don't think so, I think I still march in a direction pretty much 180 degrees to your own path. I see no change here.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 8:55 PM
  • In other words, the half-term half-wit former governor of Alaska

So you say you are smarter than Palin?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 8:59 PM
  • In other words, the half-term half-wit former governor of Alaska just ........

Good post Semo2STL

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 8:52 PM

Theorist,

Is this the kind of content in a post that compels you to grade it as a Good Post?

What kind of grade would that earn one of your students?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 9:01 PM
  • No Theorist,

It just reminded me of a Sunday a few months ago when Suelynn took on a new personna and attacked me for something she didn't like. (Which would have been most anything I had to say) Kept her posting long enough to smoke her out and get an admission.

Hmmmmmmmm!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 9:10 PM
  • Because Theorist, I am greatly comforted to know that my thoughts and beliefs are in direct oppostion to most of those I see from you on here.

I just enjoyed and finished a large Steak and Shake Vanilla Malted and I am totally content. There is very little that you will be able to say or do that will disturb my tranquility this evening.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 9:20 PM
  • Theorist,

Any answers to the questions in my 9:01PM Post?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 9:27 PM
  • Wheels, just a note to let you know that your friend Theorist is not eligible for MENSA.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 9:47 PM
  • Voyager, A while back on this thread you indicated you were not aware of any people burning. I just remembered reading about one in about '42 Sikeston. Not the area's finest hour.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 5:44 AM
  • fxpwt-their militants are crazier than our militants...

-- Posted by doggone on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 6:11 AM
  • How could you, Theorist. You missed the point...again. Rick got it.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 9:11 AM
  • I will withhold my comments on this subject.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:26 AM
  • Why do you care? You're not going to vote for him so what does it matter to you? I am beginning to see a strange trend with some of you: you know you disagree with the president, you know you are not going to vote for his re-election, yet some of you continue to speak as if you are disappointed with him.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:44 AM

While I withhold comment on Theorist's IQ level... I certainly will comment here.

Ike,

1.) I care because this is my country he is taking to hell in a handbasket!

2.) No I am not going to vote for him... "so far as what does it matter", read answer number one again.

No sir Ike, I am not disappointed in him. As I stated before, how can a person be disappointed in someone who is acting in accordance with what you thought he would when you analyized and formed your opinion of him before he was elected?

He is everything I expected of him... the worst President since Carter... maybe ever.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:59 AM
  • Theorist,

Your 2nd comment above is unbecomming a Mensa member.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:11 AM
  • No Theorist,

It just reminded me of a Sunday a few months ago when Suelynn took on a new personna and attacked me for something she didn't like. (Which would have been most anything I had to say) Kept her posting long enough to smoke her out and get an admission.

Hmmmmmmmm!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 9:10 PM

I have used several that you didn't get, but you are indeed dim, if you think you smoked me out on that one. Good grief...I had to go on and on for you to "get it".

And like I said before, I've been here since day one and I (along with others) have had various names for various reasons. You might want to get over it. ~laughing~

BTW - does it bother you that Wiff has posted under many names? Your bias is showing oldie.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:11 AM
  • Another Mensa possibility heard from? ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:14 AM
  • I have used several that you didn't get.....

As you have said before Suelynn... it is OK if you don't get caught at it. ☺ ☻ ☻ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:17 AM
  • Theorist,

Your 2nd comment above is unbecomming a Mensa member.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:11 AM

Teacher can I ask you something... would you approve this behaviour from your class.

"What would Wheels know about MENSA? Nothing..."

-- Posted by Theorist on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:19 AM

Aw come on Theorist, I can use Google as well as you....

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:27 AM
  • I have used several that you didn't get.....

As you have said before Suelynn... it is OK if you don't get caught at it. ☺ ☻ ☻ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:17 AM

Get caught - are you really that dim? So "Wheels" is your real name? Kinda find that doubtful. And Wiffy...No comment? Not surprising.

I'll give you a clue "Wheels" - I've never used my real name and never will (and most don't - for good reason) Hope that helps "Wheels". ☺ ☻ ☻ ☺

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:37 AM
  • Suelynn,

No need to go getting your panties all in a wad!

I never labored under the assumption that you ever used your real name.

Regarding Wiff, why would I care what name he sees fit to use?

Of course my real name is Wheels... what kinda phoney do you take me for anyway?

Now I'm mad! ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:44 AM
  • "Wheels" you know there is a difference between a classroom and a forum...right? Your comment to Theorist strikes me as a not-so-subtle way of trying to control a fellow poster. I find that rather sad (and pathetic).

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:52 AM
  • I find that rather sad (and pathetic).

Your findings are groundless. You is what you is!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:55 AM
  • Suelynn,

No need to go getting your panties all in a wad!

I never labored under the assumption that you ever used your real name.

Regarding Wiff, why would I care what name he sees fit to use?

Of course my real name is Wheels... what kinda phoney do you take me for anyway?

Now I'm mad! ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:44 AM

Wheels, don't worry about it, I think YOU are the one with panties in a wad. ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻

And your use of "phoney" seens just about right. ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:56 AM
  • Awwww Suelynn... it's so nice to see you still love me! ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:59 AM
  • Your findings are groundless. You is what you is!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:55 AM

I got that on your last post and your own words. Something about being a "mad phoney".

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:01 PM
  • I do love you Wheels...as always.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:02 PM
  • Suelynn,

Your interpetive skills are lacking.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:03 PM
  • I do love you Wheels...as always.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:02 PM

You do not know how that comforts me!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:04 PM
  • Well Wheels, I see you had two harpies trying your patience...The Queen of Spleen and the Queen of Mean.

We're having a wondrful ltime here at Trig's birthday party.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 2:01 PM
  • Happy Birthday Again Trig!! ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 2:24 PM
  • Rick,

By the way... where is Turnips. Haven't seen nor heard from her for a while. Hope she is doing OK.

Maybe that 4?? year old has her locked in the basement and won't let her out.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 2:52 PM
  • Yeah Rick,

Maybe you could slip her a saucer with some water in it under the basement door. She is bound to be getting thirsty by now.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 3:01 PM
  • Well Wheels, I see you had two harpies trying your patience...The Queen of Spleen and the Queen of Mean.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 2:01 PM

I just knew ol' 172 would chime in (I think I'll call him The Stud of Spuds). Anyway Don't be jealous voyager - stil love you too...oops - I mean don't be jealous SpudStud. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 4:44 PM
  • Suelynn,

Your interpetive skills are lacking.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:03 PM

Actually - I think they are pretty good - you just screw up.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 4:46 PM
  • "Wheels" you know there is a difference between a classroom and a forum...right? Your comment to Theorist strikes me as a not-so-subtle way of trying to control a fellow poster. I find that rather sad (and pathetic).

Suelynn,

If I were to take your post above and reconstruct it to read as I have below... would you think I was lacking in the ability to correctly interpret what you said and maybe even had a reading comprehension problem? There is not one word in the two sentences below, inclosed in brackets, that you did not include in your post. That is what you tried to do to me. Now go apologize to Theorist because we both know that must have been what you were thinking... RIGHT?

("Wheels" you know there is not a difference between a classroom and a forum. Theorist strikes me as a sad and pathetic fellow poster.)

Maybe you can use this as an example of how to twist someone's words to your class some day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 5:21 PM
  • Great Scot, Theorist, In another thread (that horrible Piller fella) I said you were a lady. Please don't make a liar out of me me now.

Now about love, I don't know about that. I'm not into whips, chains, leather and such like.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 7:18 PM
  • Hey, did the Piller thread get pulled because it's gone if my eye haven't betrayed me? Maybe he's been banned? He went over the line.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 7:26 PM
  • Voyager,

I believe you are correct. It does not surprise me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 7:37 PM
  • About a two day shelf-life on this thread...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 7:37 PM
  • Maybe you can use this as an example of how to twist someone's words to your class some day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 5:21 PM

Wheels (if that is your REAL name), I think I was pretty clear, but you feel free to take it anyway you want. I have a feeling the point was made and MOST understood, so don't get your panties in a wad! Luv ya!

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 8:02 PM
  • I got that on your last post and your own words. Something about being a "mad phoney".

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 12:01 PM

Suelynn,

Sorry if I confused you. The above was what I directed how words can be twisted towards. I never used those two words, in quotes by the way, in the same sentence.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 8:14 PM
  • Wheels (if that is your REAL name),

Oh Dear, I just read this again. Suelynn, surely you didn't think I was for real when I said that? No Wheels is not my real name,☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 8:53 PM
  • No Dear - I didn't think that was your REAL name -but I believed you when you said you were a phoney. You said that and that you were mad in the same post...I just put the 2 together...sorry if that bothered you. I hope this post clears it up for you. BTW - I'm not Suelynn either (it's just one of the names I use). kisses

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 9:04 PM
  • Suelynn,

You still think those awful things about Theorist?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:10 PM
  • Girls, girls, for Heaven sakes, do get it right. We fellas don't wear panties. You girls do. Consequently we can not get panties in a wad. Jock straps, maybe, but not parties.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:45 PM
  • Poor Wheels...he is enamored, or is it 'concerned'.

-- Posted by Theorist on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:25 PM

Theorist,

I'm a lot of things... but neither of the above would be the case.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:54 PM
  • Suelynn,

You still think those awful things about Theorist?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 10:10 PM

Sweetie, I think we both know where my comment was directed and by all the "concern" you're showing, I can tell it got a little too close for your comfort.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sat, Sep 11, 2010, at 11:54 PM
  • Don't flatter yourself teacher.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 12:19 AM
  • Sounds like your panties are in a wad Wheels.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 2:09 AM
  • See what I mean, Wheels? Never argue with servants or inferiors.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 8:12 AM
  • Only in a town that can produce a Terry Jones type character can a thread discussing him turn into an immature internet tough guy, (or girl), p***ing contest. How funny. How sad.

-- Posted by Gigolo on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 8:34 AM
  • See what I mean, Wheels? Never argue with servants or inferiors.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 8:12

172, don't be so danged jealous...Wheels (not his real name) was having a little fun without you. "There is never jealousy where there is not strong regard"

- Washington Irving

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 11:30 AM
  • Voyager,

Today I am taking your advice!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 11:36 AM
  • Good.

Wanted to tell you Trig's birthday was a riot. He stuck his nose into the icing and then got a foot into the cake. He enjoyed cleaning himself up! The look on his face said "Let's do it again!"

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 11:50 AM
  • Glad to you 2 back together again...reminds me of Tweedledum and Tweedledee. I'm going to the fair to work in one of the service booths and will leave you to yourselves. Hope ya fellas have a great day.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Sun, Sep 12, 2010, at 12:10 PM
  • I wonder why the Reverend Jones didn't just burn copies of 'Moby Dick' or something and say they were 'symbolic' of the Quran. It would have been just as meaningful, and probably cheaper...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 8:40 AM
  • Rick,

Yes, he could. I'm being a bit facetious, of course, but technically it would have had the same effect. It would have safeguarded the actual sacred texts while expressing his disapproval.

I came up with the idea thinking of the Hollywood sympathy events staged for such things as hunger. Hollywood types will hold elaborate dinners in which they eat cold pork-and-beans to show their solidarity with the hungry. It's all about the theatrics, of course.

Once you toss the papers in the fire, does it really matter what was written on the pages?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 8:59 AM
  • Hunter's comment reminded me of the courtroom scene in the movie Fried Green Tomatos when the preacher was called to testify and he elected to be sworn in "on his own bible." After his testimony using some "notations in his bible" led to the dismissable of the murder case, we discover he had been sworn in on a copy of "Moby Dick."

Undoubtedly one of the funniest movies of all time. Especially when the murdered man ended up as Bar-B-Que which the sheriff proclaimed the "best he ever ate!"

Gives a whole new meaning to the term justice rendered.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 9:01 AM
  • That movie was actually the reason I chose "Moby Dick" as the example. It is a good movie, but any book would do. He could even use blank books, if he wanted...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 9:08 AM
  • BC,

Is that kind of like the politicians of today who call themselves Democrats and Republicans?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 9:33 AM
  • Tracing back to their roots, the Democrats sprang from the old Democratic-Republican Party, which was the party of Thomas Jefferson. While claiming to oppose federalism, Jefferson began increasing executive and federal power as soon as he was in office. His duplicity makes him a true standard-bearer for the party that follows him.

The Republicans trace their roots to the Whig Party, which was comprised primarily of manufacturers, commercial interests, and bankers opposed to the centralizing of power in Washington. Some semblance of those roots still exist in the party, although the party is often dominated by manufacturers, commercial interests, and bankers that want to use centralized power to further their own interests. In any case, the foundation of the party is still evident in their structure today.

The monikers 'Democrat' and 'Republican' are misleading, methinks, when traced to their linguistic roots, although both democracies and Republics have taken many forms since those terms originated. Solon, the 'Father of Democracy', establish a far different form of government than that which we call a 'democracy' today. It was probably more republican than may republics.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 10:20 AM
  • Why burn the Koran? If this numbskull preacher had really wanted to render the Muslims an insult of insults, he would had dropped the Koran into as bucket of pig poo poo and stirred and stirred until the book was thoroughly saturated.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 13, 2010, at 10:37 AM

Respond to this thread