Speak Out: Senate Hearings

Posted by J Purcell on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 8:09 PM:

Replies (6)

• I'm not sure if I agree that the state should tell a city how much tax to charge.

Our state republican representitives are not of the kind I am proud of. And that is an opportunity lost given what we have in the other party.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 8:33 PM
  • Spaniard, Have you ever thought about running for a political office?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 9:27 PM
  • He thought better of it, Old John. He's at least smart enough to know he'd get an azzwhoppin' and his clock cleaned. The voters of the 8th are at least smart enough to know better.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 11:43 PM
  • "... about 75 cities, including St. Joseph and Joplin, had levied sales taxes in excess of the maximum allowed by state law."

Is this what I've tried to find for several years ... What is Missouri's maximum sales tax, including local taxes? The book I had 10-12 years ago (a handbook for people planning retirement) listed all 50 states and what each of their maximum allowed tax was ... i.e., a state might have a limit of 8% and the sales tax is 5%, so counties and towns could have no more than 3% combined.

I support the idea of a state limiting the 'total' sales tax which can be charged. But then, I have a different perspective on that than some people, and especially our politicians, have.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, May 28, 2010, at 1:17 AM
  • In my opinion, local cities, districts, counties, ect. should be able to set as high of a tax rate as they want. However they also need to remember that if people can live cheaper in another area they probably will. Higher taxes don't solve all problems

What is your opinion on this matter Commissioner Purcell?

-- Posted by mynameismud on Fri, May 28, 2010, at 4:38 AM
  • I believe in local control, a local municipality should be able to raise taxes with a vote of their local citizens. The reason I posted this link is it is newsworthy but also the accusation that Senator Crowell slipped language into a bill in the final hour of session is very similiar to the type of things that I have had to deal with at the local level. An example of this type of behavior was last fall we had our public hearing on the budget and somewhere between the first public hearing and the final public hearing 10 to 15 % raises were slipped in for a few favored employees even though it was repeatedly stated all county associates were to get a 3% raise. Regardless of what my thoughts are on a municipalities right to raise taxes I AM GLAD that there was first an elected official willing to challenge Senator Crowell on his actions and then another willing to call for hearings on his actions. Thanks for your interest, Jay Purcell

-- Posted by J Purcell on Fri, May 28, 2010, at 6:30 AM

Respond to this thread