Speak Out: Government Economics 101.

Posted by Old John on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 11:11 AM:

The enviromentalists confused us the same way by telling us not to drill in Anwar. When you looked at it the way this guy demonstrates budget, you could see the drill sight was like a postage stamp on a kitchen table.

Reagan told the reaction he got when he disclosed as governor millions in savings cutting state waste. He got more applause when he sited a few thousand in cuts.

Replies (4)

• Fantastic video!!!

Larry Bill

-- Posted by nolimitsonthought on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 11:15 AM
  • It is clever. However, I must respectfully disagree with him on one part. When he says the right side of the table 'can't be cut', he is lying. Entitlements can be cut, and eventually will be. They aren't cut, these days, because our representatives are spineless and refuse to sacrifice themselves on the altar of fiscal responsibility.

The idea that the promises of one congress must apply to all subsequent congresses is entirely wrong, but it is the engine that drives much of our economic problems. The time will come when we will have to face up to the fact that government has made promises that can't be kept, and Congress will have to tell the 'entitled' class that there is no money to fulfil those promises, so just get used to doing with less. Blame FDR and LBJ, they're the ones that sold the American people a bill of goods.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 3:10 PM
  • Don't know how you came across this video, but it's great.

What's surprising is that so many of us have actually realized fully that a million (or even a billion) dollars in cuts is like a drop in the bucket ... What's even more surprising is how many people do NOT realize it.

I fully expect Medicare to have cuts that will affect us seniors in some way or another.

I don't know how Social Security could be cut in any way, but if there is a way (even if it means paying more taxes on that income) ... no doubt someone in the federal government will find it. Considering raising the 'contributions' ... or have they already passed that proposal? Raising the retirement age again?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 4:57 PM
  • Being the suspicious skeptic that I am ... most of our 'assets' are ... um ... hidden under the mattress now. ~grinning~

I'm STILL unhappy that our income was almost the same as last year, but our 'taxable income' was much more. Unfortunately, no way to hide our SS and pension income ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 1:08 AM

Respond to this thread