Speak Out: IRS to Buy 60 Shotguns

Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 6:49 AM:

The IRS is soliciting quotes for its purchase of 60 shotguns:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/02/irs-to-buy.html

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) intends to purchase sixty Remington Model 870 Police RAMAC #24587 12 gauge pump-action shotguns for the Criminal Investigation Division. The Remington parkerized shotguns, with fourteen inch barrel, modified choke, Wilson Combat Ghost Ring rear sight and XS4 Contour Bead front sight, Knoxx Reduced Recoil Adjustable Stock, and Speedfeed ribbed black forend, are designated as the only shotguns authorized for IRS duty based on compatibility with IRS existing shotgun inventory, certified armorer and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.

My comments: Uh, 14" barrel? Modified choke? Combat training? Hope and change?

Replies (30)

• HMMMMMM..............

I wonder why the IRS would need sawed-off shotguns?

Isn't law enforcement what Federal Marshals are for?

Gives one a whole new perspective on the "legalized robbery" doesn't it?

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 7:01 AM
  • Many organized crime figure including Missouri's own Charles Carolla have been imprisoned for tax evasion when all other efforts failed.

The IRS Criminal Investigations Unit deals with a lot of dangerous people and should have equipment on par with other agencies. The Postal Service has armed Agents as does EPA and many others.

Whether these positions are under the auspices of their own agency or another such as FBI is open to question, but there are different skill sets such as CPA and others not needed in other jobs.

As to Federal Marshals, US Marshal's Service, their duties are much different.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 7:40 AM
  • Sawed-off shotgun toting IRS agents...

Combat sights?????

I just visualize a video game with SWAT style guys running around blasting accountants and bankers and taking briefcases of cash!

Thanks for the info RR.

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 7:57 AM
  • But I thought the US Marshal's Service was to enforce US Federal Law..

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 7:59 AM
  • Federally Armed Revenue Takers Effective Resource Supply ...... Another lettered agency

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 8:09 AM
  • OJ,

F.A.R.T.E.R.S.

Classic!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 8:33 AM
  • Federal Law Enforcement.

Let's see: FBI, US Marshalls Service, DEA, US Treasury Agents, IRS Agents, Postal Agents, Air Marshalls, BATF, US Border Patrol, Secret Service, Capitol Hill Police, US Conservation Agents, and probably more that I can't think of or don't know about. When did the U.S.of A. become a police state? Not to mention these are all seperate agencies with seperate budgets all using computer and communication systems that are not compatable with each others agencies and most of the agencies investigating the same crimes and enforcing the same laws (i.e. FBI, DEA, and US Marshalls all investigate drug crimes) Ever wonder why we have a national debt in the trillions and growing? How about setting up federal law enforcement the same way a city sets it up... 1 police department with divisions for different types of crimes, all under 1 roof, all using compatable equipment, computer and communication systems resulting in more effecient law enforcement and saving 10's of billions of taxpayer dollars through the synergies created.

We'll call it "The FLEA". (The Federal Law Enforcement Agency).

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:04 AM
  • But I thought the US Marshal's Service was to enforce US Federal Law..

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 7:59 AM

That is not their primary mission. They do Witness Protection, Fugitive Apprehension, Prisoner Transport, Serving Court Documents and such. Their role and reputation has changed over the years.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:06 AM
  • DTower: That will never happen. Makes too much sense.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:13 AM
  • DTower, I believe we probably have too many law enforcement officers that have little to nothing to do with "public safety".

While there certainly are a lot of duplication of efforts, a unified National Police Force scares me.

While I am generally pro law enforcement personnel, there can be too much of a "good thing" and it is in part due to those who feel the answer to any problem is "why there oughta be a law".

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:14 AM
  • Bottom line: We have a government of force. They are gearing up for something, somewthing bad for the citizens.

At the rate things are going, we won't recognize this country in 10 years, maybe even sooner.

Why shotguns, do you suppose?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:31 AM
  • I just visualize a video game with SWAT style guys running around blasting accountants and bankers and taking briefcases of cash!

Thanks for the info RR.

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 7:57 AM

Dear Ann Landers,

I have a daughter who is a CPA, should I buy her a bullet proof vest for her next birthday?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 10:06 AM
  • Why shotguns, do you suppose?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:31 AM

Voyager,

They cannot hit the side of a barn from the inside perhaps??

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 10:07 AM
  • Going postal anyone?

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 10:18 AM
  • Ike,

This morning you sound like you had at least an overnight stay in Lumpy's "Room"!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 10:37 AM
  • Pro-law enforcement = pro-government. You cannot separate the two.

-- Posted by Ike on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 10:35 AM

There are only two kinds of people in this world. Those that think there are only two kinds of people; and those that don't think it's quite that simple.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 11:02 AM
  • I think a one power national police force is prohibitted by the constitution. I have often wondered how the U.S. Marshal's service was given power of arrest outside the jurisdiction of the crime committed. Was not that a precedent allowing the national police force we have now, however disquised as seperate entities? I am not well informed on the subject.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 11:35 AM
  • Old John I'm afraid the feds have not followed the constitution for years. Step by step they have made nearly everything a federal crime so they can supersede state government and wrap their tentacles around and bully everyone. They dress the thug enforcers in black and give them menacing looking and deadly weapons to intimidate and scare the public into compliance.( Disclaimer: No I don't believe ALL cops are thugs. More and more cops hate the police state too )

Cops used to look like cops not like the SS of Hitlers Germany. Cop uniforms have transformed from the men in blue to the men in black with ski masks. All that's missing on the uniforms are the swastikas and the Totenkopf belt buckles.

Mass and popular media is playing right along with the feds in training the public that the enforcers are everywhere and resistance is futile. I don't watch the awards shows but I heard about this singer who does her song surrounded by the menacing looking men in black. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmRary2SBY

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 1:20 PM
  • Ike,

I specifically wrote "law enforcement personnel" as opposed to "law enforcement".

The debate on whether these positions should even exist is, at least to me, separate from giving them proper armament.

For years my Department prohibited us from carrying anything other than a five or six shot revolver as a semi automatic such as used by most Departments was deemed "unneeded". We were finally allowed to carry Glock .40's.

If you are going to arm someone, arm them properly; if not don't arm them at all.

A shotgun is recognized as one of the most effective weapons in Law Enforcement while presenting the least amount of danger to the general population as a result of errant rounds or over penetration.

I am not an expert on this and rely on my sons who train civilian, Law Enforcement and Military in handgun, AR/M4, sniper rifle and shotgun.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 1:48 PM
  • "Pro-law enforcement = pro-government. You cannot separate the two. And law enforcement is the instrument of govt that can take away freedom and liberty."-- Posted by Ike on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 10:35 AM

I am in a state of shock. Ike finally uttered something that made sense.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Rick, but I intended to use that video.I have heard here name before, but have never knowingly heard any of her songs. I try my best to not be trendy.

The video was to point out that entertainment is and has been used to slickly program and inoculate the people to accept and get comfortable with the tyranny that is cropping up all around us. You notice those black dressed guys were not smiling and having fun like the singer. They were meant to look intimidating.

I think you will see a bunch of "security" guys dressed similar to that at the Super Bowl. Not to keep the people safe, because it is impossible to keep the people safe, but to show the public that the government is watching and we had better stay in line.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 3:05 PM
  • Who hacked into the Missourian and high-jacked "Ike" on Speak Out? He sounds so........so.......do I dare say it? Yes,...............CONSERVATIVE!!!!!!!

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 6:34 PM
  • Ike (or Ikes' alter-ego). You are 100% correct in your 3:14 post. The Patriot Act was written BEFORE 9/11 and was waiting in the wings for a new Pearl Harbor event to cause its release.

And just like manna from heaven 9/11 miraculously happened and made joyous those on the right and left who think the jack boot and iron fist of the police state just can't ever be big and brutal enough.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:17 PM
  • Will I ever recover from a state of shock, but, dang it fellas, there is HOPE for Ike yet, if you can BELIEVE it.

There is an applicable saying: "Even a blind hog can root up an acron from time to time." The tree nuts, not the community organizer nuts.

On second thought...

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 11:46 PM
  • The Patriot Act was written BEFORE 9/11 and was waiting in the wings for a new Pearl Harbor event to cause its release.

-- Posted by InfoWarrior on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:17 PM

Uh, shouldn't it have been? I'll bet your bottom dollar there's a 'Patriot Act' written for our first (or second) Martian attack. That's what they do - and that's what we expect them to do. It's call preparedness.

I'm shocked, just shocked that there is planning going on. Although, given the demostration of the incompentence and buffoonery in the White House these days, I'm a little concerned about planning for the future.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Feb 5, 2010, at 5:05 AM
  • Incompetence? Yes. But buffoonery, why blogbud, I shocked, just shocked that such a thing could happen in the White House How can it be?

Dang it, wrong movie...again.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Feb 5, 2010, at 8:08 AM
  • I disagree Blog. I don't think it was preparedness to protect the people because they can't protect the people and here's why.

If you believe the government's conspiracy theory (which I don't) told to us about 9/11, then that should have proved to you that no matter how many alphabet agencies we already had in place, they could not protect us from 19 stone age conspirators who dreamed up their plans in a cave thousands of miles away. If all the billions of dollars spent on national security and the military before 9/11 could not protect us, then what makes you think billions more will?

The Patriot Act and Military commissions Acts were written to not protect us from terrorism but written to spy on and control all the people. The Patriot Act assumes that everyone is a potential terrorist.

If the Patriot Act and its potential to eliminate all of our freedom at the whim of some government officials is so wonderful, then why did another 3rd world passenger allegedly fool the system again by stuffing explosives in his underwear?

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Fri, Feb 5, 2010, at 8:41 AM
  • The irony is that the freer our society, the more susceptible we are to attack. The more we try to 'defend' ourselves, the more freedom we give up. And there are those who exploit or take advantage...

People who will surgically insert explosives in body cavities and as breast implants to kill themselves; to kill anyone and everyone around them regardless of their age, creed or religion are either pitifully ignorant or evil.

Those that would promote and sustain that ignorance to spread their evil are just plain inhuman.

'Tis a very scary world. All of our ideas are good ideas. We need to elect brave, strong, thoughtful leaders we can follow through the darkness and find the light - hopefully it still shines.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Feb 5, 2010, at 9:03 AM
  • I can't help but wonder if the Patriot Act was enacted to protect the government from the people. The only defense we have is the ballot box and even that is endangered of disappearing.

I wonder...

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Feb 5, 2010, at 9:13 AM
  • I just looked up some information on IRS "Field Operation Branches", which is who the actual end customer for this order would be.

One of their duties is supplying armed guards for currency transfers in armored trucks.

You may all remove the tinfoil hats in 3...2...1...

-- Posted by FriendO on Fri, Feb 5, 2010, at 9:28 AM

Respond to this thread