Speak Out: Obama is fast tracking the pipeline now?

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 7:22 AM:

Talk about a guy that doesn't stick with his words. He is now saying he will hurry up with the southern portion of the line. But what about the northern?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-putting-oklahoma-pipeline-fast-tr...

Replies (44)

• From the ABC link...

"Calgary-based TransCanada said it hopes to complete the $2.3 billion Oklahoma-to-Texas section next year after receiving the last approvals it needs to start construction. Many of the permits and environmental reviews already have been completed as part of the larger Keystone project, company officials said."

As has been said all along, the northern portion was delayed by the State of Nebraska directing that the pipeline be re-routed around the Ogallala aquifer. Now the new route is being approved and construction will start.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:22 AM
  • Regret: He knows that this is going to have to be done because the majority of the people are wanting it done and also the Unions is wanting it done because it puts a lot of their members to work. Look for him to authorize the northern section very soon. This could have already been close to beginning construction if he had not listen to the far left environmental people.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:24 AM
  • "...had not listen(ed) to the far left environmental people."

Actually it was the Republican admionistration in the State of Nebraska that caused the delay.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:30 AM
  • Actually it was the Republican admionistration in the State of Nebraska that caused the delay.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:30 AM

Now that is a spin.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:43 AM
  • Rick: I honestly don't think that most of the people that receive entitlements (welfare especially) even vote. If the Dems are responsible for all the give aways, then there is no reason a repub could ever get elected. When they see their charity being taken away, they might start paying attention IMHO.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 9:19 AM
  • Rick: I honestly don't think that most of the people that receive entitlements (welfare especially) even vote. -- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 9:19 AM

They don't vote once. They vote many times.

========================================

As has been said all along, the northern portion was delayed by the State of Nebraska directing that the pipeline be re-routed around the Ogallala aquifer. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:22 AM

Do you have any clue how many thousands of pipleines (oil and natural gas) that currently run through the Ogallala aquifer? Why was this one stopped?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 9:45 AM
  • For the people that don't know.... The Cushing pipeline doesn't cross international lines so it didn't need presidential approval.

It was just for show.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:03 AM
  • "Why was this one stopped?"

The number of pipelines crossing the Ogallala aquifer outside of the Sand Hills of Nebraska is irrelevant.

Per Congressman Terry of Nebraska...

"The Nebraska legislature, meeting in special session late last year, reached an agreement with TransCanada to move the proposed route of the pipeline so that it won't travel through the Sand Hills. The state is paying for a supplemental environmental impact study on a potential new route. The alternative would have to meet the approval of the governor, under legislation approved in special session."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:05 AM
  • "I'm not sure if they should be allowed entitlements if they don't vote ."

Rick,

I think your words were mostly fine... just needing a little rearranging.

How about?

'I'm not sure if they should be allowed to vote if they receive entitlements.'

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:13 AM
  • Before someone gets excited, I should have said as it relates to welfare.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:14 AM
  • howdy: Those people receiving welfare benefits do vote. The minute one walks in to a State Welfare office that is one of the first questions they asked them "would you like to register to vote" now that is according to a friend of mind that works in one of the offices. They do come out and vote these days.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:19 AM
  • The number of pipelines crossing the Ogallala aquifer outside of the Sand Hills of Nebraska is irrelevant. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:05 AM

Earlier you said it was the Ollagala aquifer. Now it isn't? What's up? So only certain parts of the Ollagala aquifer are off limits? I thought the whole thing was a big, pristine perfect water aquifer. Let me guess. The only part of the aquifer that needs protection is where the pipeline is going. Now I understand fully.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:20 AM
  • swamp: I know a lot of effort is put into registering people to vote. However, that doesn't mean that they actually do vote. I can't tell you how may times I (and probably you, too) have heard people say "my vote won't count".

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:35 AM
  • "What's up?"

The Ogallala aquifer exists under 8 states, stretching from South Dakota and Wyoming to Texas and New Mexico. In Nebraska the saturated depth is the greatest (1000 to 1200 feet) and about 90% of the state is over the aquifer.

Contrary to what you might believe about a "pristine perfect water aquifer" many pipelines cross many aquifers perfectly safely. In this case it was the state that drove re-routing.

The original route was through the Sand Hills of Nebraska. Per the quote above, the State of Nebraska wanted to re-route the pipeline to avoid the aquifer under the Sand Hills. Now the new route is being approved and construction will start. Only when you have digested these facts will you be able to say...

"Now I understand fully."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:46 AM
  • The Ogallala aquifer exists under 8 states, stretching from South Dakota and Wyoming to Texas and New Mexico. In Nebraska the saturated depth is the greatest (1000 to 1200 feet) and about 90% of the state is over the aquifer. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:46 AM

And there are 1000s of pipelines, gas, oil, etc. in that area. 1000's in the very "sand hills" area. Why not this one? I don't think you fully understand.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:18 AM
  • There are about 25,000 miles of pipeline in the Ogallala aquifer. Only 2000 miles are in Nebraska, or about 8%. Not 1000's of pipelines , unless you are counting them by the linear foot.

"I don't think you fully understand."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:31 AM
  • "Why do you insist the President is always correct no matter the information or circumstances or facts?"

In the case of the Keystone pipeline, I agree with him deferring to the state for re-routing. I think he could have gone on record earlier that the pipeline would be approved when the new route is agreed upon.

As for agreeing with President Obama on "all issues" you are incorrect.

For example, I disagree with his position on same-sex marriage which I believe to be a silly concept. On other issues I disagree with some approaches. I think he should have taken a more active and clear initiative on adjustments to Social Security benefits to reduce long term costs. I think he should direct his staff to compute the Medicare adjustments necessary for future viability. I think he should stress the necessity and inevitability of tax code reform to increase revenue specifically to reduce deficits.

I dispute many of the comments on these pages, not because I think the President Obama is "always right," but because his Speakout detractors are so often wrong, misinformed or present slanted views.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:34 AM
  • Common

From January 25th.

"Congressman Lee Terry says he agrees with President Obama's energy message in the State of the Union address; that America needs to develop all energy sources.

"Now, last week, he killed the pipeline," Terry says. "So, this week he's talking about 'an all of the above' approach. Once again, his actions are opposite of what he's telling us."

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:41 AM
  • There are about 25,000 miles of pipeline in the Ogallala aquifer. Only 2000 miles are in Nebraska, or about 8%. Not 1000's of pipelines , unless you are counting them by the linear foot. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:31 AM

What I do fully understand is you've come full circle on this issue. Now you admit there are oil and gas pipelines running through the very area that Obama factually denied the permit for. You can blame Nebraska but apparently you don't watch the news or read much. He personally said republicans were rushing this and he would deny the permit. You just can spin stuff like that.

There are pipelines running all over the Mississippi and Missouri River. There are oil barges running up and down the Mississippi all along SE Missouri - the source for some drinking water. Why aren't you upset about that? Why isn't that an "environmental" issue? Why is the Ogallalla aquifer so special to you? I suspect I know why. It helps Obama with his green base.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM
  • A pipe line from Okla. to the gulf is proceeding as planned. Obama comes out claiming to give his blessing to it with instructions to by-pass and speed through red tape to get the project completed. The press reports that Obama has approved another pipeline implying the good work of the president to allieve high pump prices for the American people.

His approval was not needed for this project and all this is campaign rhetoric.

The spin master cleverly diverts the discussion of deception about the Okla. to Texas link by injecting the Ogallala aquifer and blaming republicans for holding up that part of the pipe line.

Nothing new here

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 12:02 PM
  • The thing about it is both hands are attached to the same guy.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 12:14 PM
  • "...the posters are wrong..."

Read it again, it does not say all of the rest are wrong. It say "his Speakout detractors are so often wrong, misinformed or present slanted views."

A good example of this is all of the above. The State of Nebraska clearly wanted the pipeline re-routed, and the new route is in the approval process (per TransCanada) and yet your crowd is trying to convince each other that it is 100% the President's fault. That is pure BS. End of discussion.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 1:03 PM
  • Obama has done everything he can get away with to impede the supply of oil and drive up conventional energy prices to justify spreading the wealth among his biggest supporters via green energy grants and subsidies.

Then he trots out on his white horse and pretends to be the great leader that has increased oil production more than any other president since Clinton. The AP writes headlines that further the lie for the everyday uniformed government subject. It is understandable how well that tactic works on the masses but it is troubling to know that many of the better informed current events followers on these threads can so easily fall for such propaganda.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 1:17 PM
  • Better watch your spelling real close Rick.Otherwise Dug will take you to the wood shed. Dug thinks he is the only one who doesn't make mistakes.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 1:54 PM
  • commonsensematters: You must be listening to Ed Schultz, Al Sharpton and Rachel Maddow to much.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 1:57 PM
  • Better watch your spelling real close Rick.Otherwise Dug will take you to the wood shed. Dug thinks he is the only one who doesn't make mistakes. -- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 1:54 PM

As I said the other day - always trying to help educate liberals. Did you ever figure out the difference between a tpyo and a word that is misspeled?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 2:06 PM
  • Rick: I honestly don't think that most of the people that receive entitlements (welfare especially) even vote. If the Dems are responsible for all the give aways, then there is no reason a repub could ever get elected. When they see their charity being taken away, they might start paying attention IMHO.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 9:19 AM

Are you kidding. When you see a candidate or one of his representatives walk in carrying loads of "absentee" votes, where do you think they get them? After doing nothing to earn votes, t's amazing how busy some politicos get

at election time.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 3:11 PM
  • Dug: Yes I have. Evidently you haven't by your 2:06 post. You are a funny and entertaining guy.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 4:36 PM
  • Wow another pipeline to the coast that will allow Canadian oil to be refined and then sent out of the country as a export. I am sure this will help solve our high gas prices for sure.

A CNN article from Dec 5.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/05/news/economy/gasoline_export/index.htm

-- Posted by Therealworld on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 9:35 PM
  • I suspect some contracts are for refineries to make gasoline and diesel and other products for a fee. Some of that exported end product may be the result of oil imported for the purpose of being sent back as gasoline and diesel.

More available U.S. crude would have as much influence on domestic pump prices as begging the Saudis to pump more.

Our dependence on imported oil depends on where the information comes from.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:07 PM
  • Last night, my daughter just walked into the living room and said, "Dad, cancel my allowance immediately, rent my room out, throw all my clothes out of the window, take my TV, stereo, iPhone, iPod, and my laptop. Please take all of my jewelry to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Then sell my new car.

Take my front door key away from me and throw me out of the house. Then disown me and never talk to me again. And don't forget to write me out of your will and leave my share to my sister."

Well, she didn't put it quite like that. What she actually said was...

'Dad, I have decided to work for Obama's re-election campaign.'"

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:12 PM
  • Regrets,

She needs to seek counseling!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:37 PM
  • Regrets,

Did you see your lawyer yet?

-- Posted by InReply on Fri, Mar 23, 2012, at 12:24 AM
  • Theorist, your problem is you use a Daisy air rifle instead of an AK47 when takinhg a shot at others.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 23, 2012, at 8:02 AM
  • Theorist, your problem is you use a Daisy air rifle instead of an AK47 when takinhg a shot at others. -- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 23, 2012, at 8:02 AM

And her aim is off as well. :-) :-) :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 23, 2012, at 11:06 AM
  • No - not Annie Oakley. She's off target. She shoots too far to "the left". She needs to move to "the right". :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 23, 2012, at 4:50 PM
  • Then maybe your hip is out of line too much to the left. Hip replacement is recommended.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 23, 2012, at 8:21 PM
  • Theorist, just calling it like I see it. You're an idiot.

-- Posted by mixitup on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 5:20 PM
  • No, Theorist is not an idiot. Her problem is she is given to erring.

By the way, will someone check me out on this, but doesn't Nebraska have a unicameral legislatgure, i.e. a one house only ldegislature instead of two? Its the only state in the union to have this arrangement.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 8:36 PM
  • US COAL exports are setting a huge record. Let me get this straight. We are exporting record amounts of coal now while the Obama EPA is killing coal use in this country. Why? To prevent "global warming".

What is Asia and Europe going to do with all the imported US coal? Sell them as pet rocks? No - they are going to burn it. Obama says we can't use our domestic coal. So we strip mine our hill sides, corporations reap profits from shipping it overseas, our energy costs increase and the so-called "global warming" continues?

Can you liberals not see the insanity of your plans? This is just one of many stupid liberal attempts to control this country. Read the article published today by the AP. It's sick:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_COAL_SURGING_EXPORTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=H...

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Apr 10, 2012, at 4:16 PM
  • The funny thing is UMWA's loved Obama in 08. Now as he is pulling the rug out from under them they feel different.

http://wvowradio.com/Article.asp?id=2361245&spid=37834

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Apr 10, 2012, at 6:13 PM
  • Regret,

They should go ahead and endorse him. He'll do the right thing by them.... won't he? He is a Democrat after all.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Apr 10, 2012, at 6:21 PM
  • Manipulation of the free market can bite the manipulator. What's next, tax the exporters to pay UMWA pension funds?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Apr 10, 2012, at 7:08 PM
  • I don't think I would vote for the guy that says if you build a coal power plant you will go broke. Also he if he wins next time you can count on Cap and Trade.It will be the largest tax ever on the poor and middle class.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Apr 10, 2012, at 7:17 PM

Respond to this thread