Speak Out: How many politicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jun 14, 2011, at 12:26 PM:

After years of stockpiling incandescent lightbulbs awaiting the federally mandated phase out of these harmfull little buggers, Texas is trying to ruin my plan of becoming the kingpin of a black market lightbulb syndicate.

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/06/joe-barton-the-market-not-the-white-hous...

Replies (19)

• Jeff Barton for President?!

Another example of government creating jobs (for the Chinese).

Incandescent light bulbs were manufactured in Winchester, Va. Two hundred jobs were lost when the factory was closed. The worst thing about this is that the government regulated it out of business. If market forces had made incandescent bulbs less desirable than the CFLs I would say nothing. And this was done under GWB's watch!

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/stories/last-major-us-factory-...

And read the first comment after the article concerning household contamination after one CFL bulb was broken!

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Jun 14, 2011, at 11:15 PM
  • I like the new bulbs myself. Our co-op was giving away a free package per month if you came into the office to pay your electic bill. I saw a significant decrease in our electric usage.

They don't work well to warm a pump house or keep little chicks warm though.

I agree that it should be my choice.

When the $ is devalued enough we can start making them in the U.S..

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 12:05 AM
  • Those "pig-tail" light bulbs are fine for general illumination but they SUCK for reading!

-- Posted by Data48 on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 5:21 AM
  • There are pluses and minuses for both types of bulbs.

I have known of stoplights using the CRLs. Works fantastic most of the time but they do not put out enough heat to melt the snow during the winter and can be obscured. Same for brake lights on some new model cars.

I am philosophically opposed to government mandates. And another thing; the practice of purchasing absolutely according to lowest price has resulted in the rise of Wal-Mart and other box stores, a throw-away society, the end to service, and the off-shoring of jobs.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 8:36 AM
  • i haven't seen one cartoon of a person who has a new idea with a CRL popping up above their head...

if the Gov can force us to buy a certain lite bulb , what will be next ? who is the Gov to tell free people what they have to do ?

this crap is getting out of control...

-- Posted by Rick* on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 8:50 AM
  • Don't you mean "has gotten", Rick?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 9:27 AM
  • voyager

i stand corrected...

-- Posted by Rick* on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 9:36 AM
  • Lets see one of those fancy CRL bulbs beat this..

Welcome to the homepage of the Centennial Bulb, the Longest burning Light Bulb in history. Now in its 110th year of illumination.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 10:24 AM
  • Sorry, meant CFL

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 10:26 AM
  • I don't have all the details yet, but this is new! The federal government is citing the commerce clause in opposing the right of the State of Texas to specifically allow the manufacture and use of incandescent light bulbs within its borders. According to its spokesman, the federal government opposes this because they cannot guarantee that no one will transport incandescent light bulbs across state borders.

Sounds to me as if they are more worried about trafficking in incandescent light bulbs than they are trafficking in illegal aliens! Oooops, forgot to be PC...............undocumented workers.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 1:27 PM
  • stnmsn8

how ironic...the new Obamacare ignores States rights to free commerce , the very thing Texas says it won't do..

-- Posted by Rick* on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 1:58 PM
  • Q. How many politician's does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A. Two. Don't ask me how they got in there!

-- Posted by Data48 on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 2:37 PM
  • Sounds to me as if they are more worried about trafficking in incandescent light bulbs than they are trafficking in illegal aliens!

-- Posted by stnmsn8 on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 1:27 P

Good point. I bet the illegals cause more that 200 deaths per year.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 6:59 PM
  • Data,

Now that is funny.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 7:59 PM
  • Old John - had a similar concern here on outdoor lighting with CFLs.

In really cold weather, they come on with all the intensity of a night light - not really what I was looking for with motion detectors.

Looked into halogen light bulbs, such as here - http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/a-shape-halogen-light-bulbs/. Come on at full brightness, good coloring, and a reported long-life. A 72-watt halogen puts out the light of a 100-watt incandescent, so not the big energy saver as the CFL, and certainly no cost savings - but I figured it was worth giving a whirl. And at 72 watts - well, watts is heat.

So far, am pleased with the light as a good solution if conventional incandescents do indeed go-away.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 8:31 PM
  • In answer to the original question, how many politicians to screw in a light bulb?

The answer is 26. One to get the ladder, one to go get the light bulb,one to hold the ladder steady, one to hand up the light bulb, and one to read the instructions. And of course the one to do the actual screwing.

That leaves 20 to do all the paperwork and record keeping, environmental impact study, and complain about the need to hire more workers to handle the heavy workload.

Next week it will require 29 to do the same work to see the screwing is done properly.

Any questions?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Jun 16, 2011, at 11:16 PM
  • voyager

yes...will they require a college degree to be qualified to ascertain clockwise from counter-clockwise ?

-- Posted by Rick* on Thu, Jun 16, 2011, at 11:21 PM
  • Data,

Where do they go after they finish?

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jun 17, 2011, at 6:35 AM
  • Rick, yes indeed! preferably a degree from Harvard, but will settle for a Yalie or two only if necesdsary but must be Skull and Bones.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Jun 17, 2011, at 11:16 AM

Respond to this thread