Speak Out: Take A Day And Have Fun!

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 5:11 PM:

Great Idea!

Replies (204)

• Spank,

Actually today has been a good day. Well at least that I've noticed. But yeah, I agree with you and Wheels, great idea.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 5:20 PM
  • Spank,

That sounds really good, unfortunately I cannot be there. Am planning a visit the next weekend though and will be there about a week. Got some things I want to look up.

Now you have me curious, so I will have to put my brother on the job and find out who is having reunions this weekend.

James and I were going to go too. We were going to load up on chicken and dumplings. I tell my Italian acquaintenaces to just look on chicken and dumplings as German/Dutch pasta.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 5:56 PM
  • Loud and clear cousin!

One of Hubert's?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:20 PM
  • You Dad would be Peck!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:24 PM
  • Got you... went to school with her. Your dad would be Dan C. then? Not sure about how many children she had but I knew of the oldest two. Kind of lost track over the years.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:30 PM
  • Peck was my wife's grandfather.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:44 PM
  • Didn'r know your Dad real well, but your parents lived in Overland shortly before you were born and I was working for my brother-in-law next to where they lived.

Would love to meet you one day. If you would like to e-mail me, in the event you had any interest in family information, it is a hobby of mine. Your mother's first cousin Jerry B. will be running around at the reunion with a book of old pictures, I would make book on it, and he is very knowledgeable in family history. I will ask him to give you my full name and e-mail address. I have swapped information with him and we e-mail occasionaly. Your Mother's maternal Grandfather was my Paternal Grandmother's brother.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:50 PM
  • Peck was my wife's grandfather.

-- Posted by lumpy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:44 PM

Good Grief, we could start a family reunion on here.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:52 PM
  • "Irma will be playing her guitar this weekend."

That used to be Irma and the Bad Boys!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 6:53 PM
  • I usually sit in on drums, but I have to work on Sunday. Eat some dumplings for me.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:01 PM
  • Spank

That place used to belong to John Brauer and my mother-in-law lived there, maybe born there also?

Your Grandpa smoked a hickory pipe, didn't say a whole lot, but it usually was significant. He could BS with the best of them, and usually played his comments like a trump card.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:03 PM
  • Spank,

Never knew her real well, she was younger and there was a period of time I lost touch while I was trying to keep the wolf away from the door.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:07 PM
  • Arlene was my mother-in-law.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:12 PM
  • Lumpy,

Arlene was related to me and Alvin was my wife's cousin.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:15 PM
  • You guys are going to make me feel left out. hehe

With as big as the world is, kind of shows how small it can be.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:20 PM
  • Thanks Spank, I am just now e-mailing Jerry.

Pups,

Heck you might be related to this bunch also. When you have roots in Leopold, you are most certainly related some way.

The World is small. Many years ago I saw a guy standing on the opposite street corner and thought I recognized him. But since we were in Malaga Spain, I resisted the impulse to go say hi because I didn't want to look stupid.

A few weeks later and back in Missouri, I saw the fellow and mentioned how much he looked like the guy I saw in Spain. You guessed it... it was him.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:34 PM
  • I was the kid tending the fire at those butcherings. At my Grandpa's once, when most of the work was done, the conversation turned to who had the best butchering knife. One of my uncle's, it turned out had an identical knife to your Grandpa's. My uncle said well I got mine in the biggest store in something or other Germany, when I was in the army, where did you get yours.

A puff or two of smoke and Hubert quietly said... I got mine in the biggest store in Glennon, Mo. And you would have to know the area to appreciate the humor.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:40 PM
  • Spank,

Thanks, but have to work so well you know who can continue to get a check. hehe And what fun is behaving when with family and friends?? :)

Wheels,

Don't think the family tree branches reached out this way, but one never knows. I am related (very very very distantly) to Elvis, so maybe my family did make it to Missouri. :)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:43 PM
  • Gentlemen,

I have a forensic investigation going on with some folks that died about 125 years ago and need to get back to it.

May they rest in peace.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:44 PM
  • I am related (very very very distantly) to Elvis, so maybe my family did make it to Missouri. :)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:43 PM

If your foks did reach Missouri, did Elvis's?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:46 PM
  • Okay Pups. You can come, but behave yourself!

Mind you, that the dogs don't fight.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:48 PM
  • Wheels,

Was thinking they had to pass through Missouri to get to Mississippi from South Dakota, but don't really know,,,, yet. Besides didn't want to be left out of the family reunion. j/k

Sounds like you guys come from a very varied, fun, and interesting family. Sounds like a great time.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:00 PM
  • Spank,

Spank it was more fun when you were a Grandson and you visited than it was being a son and you got to stay. If you are referring to a cultivator, my Dad saw no need of a seat on the tongue, I got to sit on the tongue and drive the mules. In that capacity your face was very very close to the exhaust pipes on those mules. I can close my eyes and smell the exhaust yet. My kids are like you, they loved it and yes the Grandparents made the accomodations better than mine were.

And talking to mules... my best version of mule talk never got the job done like my Dad's did.

Definitely your "POP " was old school, salt of the earth. Very good person. Your Uncle Jim rented a room from me and lived with us for awhile when he was single. Had a lot of the mannerisms of his dad.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:15 PM
  • Dange Pups,

Yes you probably would wind up going though Missouri to get to Mississippi.

It was and is a good life. But we were so poor when I was a kid we couldn't even pay attention. But shoot we didn't know it, we had nothing to compare to.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:20 PM
  • Go fishing, Spank? Tried it once ... caught a little sun perch ... got bored and besides, I thought I heard the worm squeal when I stuck his little slimy body on the hook ... ugh!

Been fun reading all your comments, and thanks for the 'lighten up' suggestion! Beats trying to figure out why someone feels the need to flood the forum with all the new 'titles.'

Have a great reunion, y'all. I vaguely remember when my family did that ... Grandpa and his 12 siblings (all up from Arkansas), Grandma and her 9 siblings ... and all the connected families. Can't imagine the kids today agreeing to, and actually enjoying, sleeping outside on blankets for two nights as we all used to.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:42 PM
  • Mom,

Did I hear you saying the other evening that you might be heading in our direction? You pobably missed my post where I asked what kind of wine you liked.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:46 PM
  • Wheels,

I used to ask my Mom how my parents made it with all us kids on Dad's paycheck. We never went hungery, always had a roof over our head, and we never knew we were poor. Did have to get some of my clothes from my older brothers but thought everyone did that. She said they had no choice but to make it work.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:51 PM
  • Hey Wheels,

Totally off topic, but I know this area has a large German population. In your research have you come across any from Kassel (South Russia) or from the area of Trier(West Germany)??? Mother's maiden was Riefer. (yeah I got kidded about that as a kid, still do. lol)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 8:55 PM
  • It is good! JAE is on board!

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 9:41 PM
  • Pups,

Had to go to the grocery store... was totally out of adult beverages.

In our day, our parents were resourceful and made due with what they had. We did fine.

Have not seen any of your folks around that area. Would have to, and will, look at a map to see how close the areas are. Most of the folks I am dealing with came from Holland and the neighboring German areas. Some were from the Prussia area. But overall probably more family names came from the Netherlands.

When your folks came over, where and when did they enter the country. Where did they initially settle and then move, or did they make it a one stop thing.

Most in the Leopold area came into the United States in the 1850's to the latter part of the 1860's. However some did, including a Great Grandfather show up as late as 1880, along with some other latecomers. Our folks mostly came through Cincinnati Ohio and Posey County Indiana before settling in Bollinger and Cape Girardeau counties. Although some of the later immigrants, once there was family here, came directly to Missouri.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 10:17 PM
  • Wheels,

I'm going off the top of my head because all my info is at home and not sure of the dates. But I believe they went to North Dakota then to South Dakota. From there I know of the branch that went to Northern California. They were from what was once concidered Prussia area as well at one time.

That is my Father's side. Mother is first in her family to come to America after marrying my Father. But I was hopeing maybe some relatives she was unaware of came over at some point.

Just trying to find my place at the reunion is all. lol

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 10:42 PM
  • Pups,

Was on the phone for about an hour and a half. I will go through my names and see if I can find any similarities with any of mine. Sometimes you have minor spelling differences. Shoot I have a couple of instances with brothers totally disagreeing on the last names and spelling them differently to this day. The one instance is a hoot because neither of them got it right according to the first recorded instance of the name I saw.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 1:46 AM
  • Spank,

If you are referring to the weight challenged, but devilishly handsome fella behind the white Ludwigs, yes, that is me.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 10:03 AM
  • I'm not sure which is scarier...the identity-crisis/chain yankin' threads or the fact that you ALL are related. (te he he) ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 10:08 AM
  • Hi Pups

Have you looked up Trier, Germany. Part of my family is from there.

-- Posted by mommalolo on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 10:21 AM
  • Spank,

Good morning.

Great thread. You're related to Turnips? :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:10 AM
  • Spank, I guess anything's possible. (shiver) ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:37 AM
  • Would that make me related to Turnips also? :-<

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:40 AM
  • Turnips I'm kidding and you know it. Before I get accused of spoiling the good feelings on here.

Why I would be honored to be related to you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:41 AM
  • Spank, Lumpy dun passed out at the thought of being related to me. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:49 AM
  • Before I get accused of spoiling the good feelings on here.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:41 AM

Wheels, I'd like to think everyone knows we enjoy teasing one another and we really don't mean no harm. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 12:02 PM
  • Wheels, I'd like to think everyone knows we enjoy teasing one another and we really don't mean no harm. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 12:02 PM

Ok Turnips, I'll take that as an apology for you being so nasty to me yesterday! : -)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 12:21 PM
  • fat chance, butthead. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 12:26 PM
  • Spank,

You're going to have to ban your new cousin Turnips from your thread. ;-)

She's being mean to me again!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 12:56 PM
  • Spank,

Would this be kind of like, being voted off the island?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 1:18 PM
  • Yep Wheels. The #1 rule is to play nice. I'm sure Turnip is remorseful for what she said, and will appoligize in the near future.

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 1:30 PM

Spank,

Please don't try holding your breath that long.

The family reunion will turn into a wake! He he he!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 1:42 PM
  • Now, Wheels, I'm sure she's at church repenting for her sinful ways as we speak.

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 1:43 PM

Well if she is not, she should be!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 1:50 PM
  • Yes, Wheels ... sometime this month, as long as Pops continues to feel good enough to make the trip. Thinking it would be good for him to 'get away' for a while.

Well, when we do get up there ... we wouldn't expect to impose upon anyone or be 'entertained' so no need to think about what wine ... maybe just meet at the buffet ... or IHOP (although it wouldn't exactly be breakfast time, since I'm NOT a Morning Person).

Enjoying the genealogy discussions. Should drag my stuff out and work on it again ... Major problems in tracing my father's family on either side. Found his mother's but ... wierd because she is listed in one place as a daughter with one first name then in another with another name, but then disappeared from all other records.

Again, Spank ... thanks so much for this great thread ... Y'all are just awesome! And you, too, Turnip ... not easy to hold one's own with these guys, but you do it well.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 3:16 PM
  • Mom,

We plan on being in Bollinger County from the 10th to the 18th or 19th. Might also catch you in Marble Hill for a Burger.

Mom... Regarding Turnips, we have more experience!

On your tracing problems, these name changes are sometimes confusing, but also easily explained. Some families it appears felt compelled to name two or more children with the same first name and then use their middle names to identify them. I have seen at least 3 siblings with the same first name, don't remember more at this point. George Foreman thought he had a first. I can prove he did not.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 3:38 PM
  • Tank,

Yeah and after Turnips got religion she could fry the fish.

I think she may be taking a nap, she sneaks away and does that I believe.

Don't worry about the rain, it wouldn't dampen the spitits that much. And the chicken and dumplings are the most important part anyway.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 3:41 PM
  • "we can throw out some jugs and do some catfishin'."

You surely was not planning on using her for bait were you???

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 3:43 PM
  • Hi Pups

Have you looked up Trier, Germany. Part of my family is from there.

-- Posted by mommalolo on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 10:21 AM

mommalolo,

I have visited the Trier homepage a couple of times. My Mother was born and raise in Trier. I run into a bit of problem with search as my German is not what it should be. And I didn't have my translation program back when I was heavily into checking it out.

Now wouldn't this be funny if you and I are related?? lol

-- Posted by Pups on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 4:24 PM
  • Wheels,

Sorry wasn't ignoring you. Just been busy working both jobs today.

Turnip and Wheels related??? Could explain the playful teasing.... mmmm

-- Posted by Pups on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 4:26 PM
  • gurusmom, thank you. ;o)

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 4:51 PM
  • Spank,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your thread. 24 Hours on the button and no one mad at anyone else and everybody had fun!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 5:05 PM
  • Spank,

Yeah, you live in Jackson don't you? She will go door to door, hunting you down like a mad dog!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 5:19 PM
  • Sounds good, Wheels ... Well, not the burger necessarily ... Can't think where in Marble Hill to get a good one, actually ... Now, Pops would disagree because he's never 'met' a burger he didn't like!

You know, Jer's has a seafood buffet on Friday evenings ... Although Fri/Sat might not be a good time for you to leave your 'folks.'

Spank, do you breed your bull dogs?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 6:28 PM
  • yes he does, gurusmom, he 'reportedly' has a puppy mill. j/k ☻ Some random poster attacked him for defending his right to breed a month or so ago.

Wheels, it looks like I win again (on a different thread): what is that 4-0 now. (te he he)

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 6:40 PM
  • Laughing, Spank! Ask your wife about 'when does it end?'

Might be interested in one of your puppies ... if that ever happens. English Bulldogs? I'll read up some on their personality, etc.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 6:53 PM
  • Spank,

"The main thing is keeping the wrinkles cleaned out."

Sounds like a soap add for seniors. J/K!!

-- Posted by Pups on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 7:09 PM
  • Mom,

Have had a couple of computer issues shut me down for a little while. Don't know yet what my schedule will be when I get there. I have a get together on Saturday morning the 12th, and that is what I know for sure. Want to visist with James sometime. Will get it figured out and we will break some bread somewhere at a time and place that works for you. Tell Pops I said Hi.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 8:00 PM
  • Turnips,

Just where did you put the whoop-arse on me 4 times. I want a recount.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 8:02 PM
  • Well heck, Wheels ... (BTW, I'm having some really irritating computer problems the past few weeks, too) ... We should just convince James to BBQ a couple of opossums and deep-fry a few squirrels, and invite us all out for beer, wine, wildlife and rousing conversations ...

Just let us know when and/or where ... Pops is really looking forward to it! Anything to do with food and good company gets him excited. ~smiling~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 11:56 PM
  • Thanks for the bulldog info ... Wrinkles, huh? Would fit right into our family. UH! I see Pups picked right up on that!

Seriously though ... we had a Sharpei many years ago. Now THAT is wrinkles. The personality is most important ... lost both our little dachshunds several years ago, and still miss them. Maybe not good, but we tend to form really tight bonds with our pets.

If your avatar is one of the bulldogs ... shoot, I feel in love with him (her?) as soon as I saw it.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 12:22 AM
  • Mom,

These new fangled gadgets are going to be the death of us.. Most often, I can work my way out of troublesome situations, but lately this thing is getting the best of me. I think part of the problem is I am pushing it a little too hard. Trying to keep a couple of tabs open with different spots on the Missourian, trying to work on some of my genealogy in between and then help with a few tasks for my son-in-law with his business. Probably nothing money wouldn't fix I guess, but I don't want to go there if I can avoid it.

Will visit with James, but don't want any possum by golly. I think he specializes in deep fried grups or something like that. The squirrels sound all right though. And the rousing conversation. Mom, I will keep in touch on Speak Out when I get down there. I use an air card so I do have service, I probably would strangle without being able to express myself... right or wrong..

I suppose I could walk up and down the streets of Marble Hill shouting Moooooom, Oh Moooom, but then that might get me an evaluation.

I just noticed there hasn't been much going on here since I posted about 8;oopm.

Oh mercy... you don't think I did it by asking for a recount with Turnips do you? I suppose a recount could be construed to be a Political Term. and we were suppossed to be playing nice.

I'll have to apologize to Spank tomorrow.

I would like to shoot for that seafood buffet if I can arrange it. When did you say that was... Friday and Saturday??

I'm not normally this iffy on making arrangements, just need to work around some family committments. I'm kind like Pops, when it comes to food.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 12:42 AM
  • Pups,

Been poking around trying to see if I could find anything on what you gave me last night.

Here are some links you might be interested in,

http://www.kasselvillage.com/

http://www.remmick.org/Hoffer.Home.Site/Page10.html

http://www.grhs.org/

http://boschee.net/index.html

I find a Kassel in Central Germany also, which possibly may have influenced the naming of Kassel Village in Russia, which apparently was settled by German immigrants. Maybe from Kassel Germany?

From Wikopedia,

History

Kamarovka was founded as Kassel in 1810. It is part of the Bergdorf, Glückstal [1], Kassel, Neudorf area near Odessa in Ukraine, which was allocated by the Russia Crown government to German immigrants who left certain areas of Germany/Hungary (Hesse, Baden, Wuerttemberg (now Baden-Wuerttemberg), Alsace (now part of France), the Palatinate, or Hungary) between 1808 and 1810.[2] The immigrants who founded Kassel were all Protestants, the majority Evanglical [Lutheran], a minority Reformed. Czar Alexander I encouraged immigration from many countries into the Ukrainian areas along the Black Sea, acquired from the Ottoman Empire in 1804. The Germans were fleeing the oppressive occupation of southwest Germany by Napoleon's armies (until his defeat at Waterloo in 1815). Although the Russians discouraged the practice of any religion other than Russian Orthodoxy, the official church of Russia, Czar Alexander I granted religious freedom and other special privileges, such as local autonomy and temporary tax relief, to the German immigrants. In 1871, Czar Alexander II revoked some of the special privileges (including exemption from military service) originally granted to the German immigrants by Czar Alexander I, and shortly after that many of them began to migrate to the United States, especially to the Dakotas.[3]

You probably already know all of this, but I found the exercise enlightening

Trier and the name Riefer.

This name would have come much closer to the folks from around Leopold because of it's location in south Germany, but I found nothing even close in the nmes that I have.

I did however find a lot of records with this name in Ancestory.Com. I have a membership and can get pull down records such as marriages, deaths and births, but not knowing what I was really looking for it was kind of difficult to do much. I recommend you going to www.ancestory.com and doing a search on the name, I don't think you can get to the records, but let me know which ones you think might be worthwhile to pull and I will do it for you.

A whole lot of words to tell you next to nothing really, but I enjoyed the trip. My knowledge of European Geography is sadly lacking and the way they changed borders and names it makes it really tough.

Back to the Kassel area, you will note the name has changed and it is the Ukraine now, and for the life of me, I cannot tell you if they are free and indendant of Russia or not.

Have to tell you this and then off to bed.

Back in the Jimmy Carter days, I attended a regional meeting for HVAC dealers doing business with the old Westinghouse Co. It was a grand affair and when we regigstered we were given a number of tickets that we could drop into fish bowls for a drawing of whatever was named on the bowl. Well, I threw all my tickets into the bowl for a trip to Russia, a place I have always wanted to see. Well my name was drawn and my wife and I won the trip to Russia. Planned on it all Summer, mouth watering and everything. Then the bottom dropped out of my trip asperations. Jimmy Carter banned all travel to Russia becaause of some alleged atrocity having to do with the Olympics.

It really endeared me to the guy!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 1:55 AM
  • Sheeew! I'm glad I had breakfast before I read the updates. yuck!

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 10:50 AM
  • Spank,

First, if demanding a recount with Turnips was political.... I apologize. :-)

"As far as your computer, sounds like you need more memory. (The kind that goes inside the computer)"

I think both the memory inside the computer and my own is in need of some help. This thing is 4 years old and has been upgraded to 2GB of RAM (The Max. for the machine I was told by mfg). I tried putting the old 1GB bars back in to see what would happen and watching the Task Manager, it was obvious that was worse as the Page File usage meter would go up and down constantly. Going back to the 2 GB memory the Page File Usage will run a straight line, but at times the CPU (3.1GB) usage will show busy as the dickens even if I am doing nothing, running somewhere around 50% for awhile and then either going to 100% and Internet Explorer quits responding totally, or it might drop back to 0% and settle down again. And this can happen while showing over a 1 GB of available memory.

Doctor, I have told you our symtoms, please give me a diagnosis before I take matters into my own hands and destroy this beast!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:08 AM
  • Some people have had good results by using Mozilla Firefox as a browser instead of Explorer.

-- Posted by D'oh on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 1:01 PM
  • Spank,

You have pretty much described mine as well and it is an HP. I uninstalled Explorer 8 and reinstalled Explorer 7 and it didn't seem to help, so I went back to Explorer 8. I am running XP Professional as an operating system.

My wife has a newer HP with Vista Home user on it, about 1.7GB procerssor and 1 GB of RAM. I would destroy it if I had to use that thing.

Vista is brain dead in my opinion.

I am about ready to make a change I think. I can still get XP Professional on a Business Grade HP with a free upgrade to System 7 which is coming out Oct 22, give my wife the one I use, which she will not overload and sell hers cheap. I think her's would be ok if somebody put XP on it instead of Vista.

Yes on the CPU Fan, sometimes I expect the computer to start scooting across the desk. I didn't mention this but mine is a laptop, which further aggravates the heat problem.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 1:11 PM
  • BN1401,

I have thought about an alternate browser. The only thing that has kept me from it, i seeing some of the special instructions for alternate browsers when you install some things.

I would be interested, have you tried it and how do you like it? And I guess how do you handle your e-mails? I have been using Outlook Express, but I guess that is independant of Explorer anyway.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 1:15 PM
  • Well, I hate to admit it, but I also backed out at about the same point you did. I think I will go ahead and do it though as there is always "restore". My system; Dell Inspirion Laptop with XP works fine as it is.

I use to use Outlook Express, but now use Microsoft Outlook as I can use Word as an email editor and it is the same system I used when I worked for a living.

Not long ago, I bought my wife a Dell Desktop XPS with Vista and I HATE Vista and everything it stands for. Heck it is even harder to turn off; course I don't like change and kind of missed 3.1 and Windows 98 II when they changed, but not Millennium; love XP though.

-- Posted by D'oh on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 1:39 PM
  • BN1401,

From what I have been reading, Vista is going to be about as famous as Millenium was, and like you, I used Millenium at one time. System 7 is supposed to be the cat's meow from what the gurus are saying now. Also, I understand Microsoft is going to be entering the Virus Protection market with a free upgrade. From first blush, they seem to think it is going to be a free answer to virus protection.

Never have used Outlook and really hate to think about learning one more thing. I have a Microsoft Office 2007 upgrade laying here that I need to install and I know my tired brain is going to have to try and get used to that as well.

I have a neat little spell check that came with a language translation program I use and that puts a button right beside the window, that I am typing in now. All I have to do is think about using it before I hit the preview button. It even trys to correct my poor grammer, but you have to use it to benefit I suppose.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 2:55 PM
  • Wheels, picturing you rambling up and down the streets shouting 'Oh Moooooom' ... I'll bring the camera as soon as I hear you ... be great pictures to have printed out and distributed to ...

I'm always iffy on making 'arrangements' ... The seafood buffet is on Fridays ... runs until 8:00 (or 9:00), and don't remember when it starts ... maybe about 6:00?

Aw ... no fair, your anticipated trip to Russia!

Hadn't been keeping track, but thinking you and Turnip(s) continually run neck-and-neck ... Keeps you on your toes, doesn't she? ~laughing~

Afraid it may be time for a new computer ... that's always SO traumatic! But darn ... guess that means more research into computers, and putting off replacing the old laptop ... and yes, would have to take Vista off ... When even my in-house Guru can't figure it out ... the only thing he could finally suggest is opening it up and cleaning it out to make sure there's plenty of circulation ... I'll do that sometime today ...

After reading further ... Wheels & Spank, you may have something there ... my computer has the same problem ... Last night I closed everything down but MS Outlook ... sat to read a book but could hear the computer fans running off and on, off and on ... as it is now, and does in every single program now. Opened up Task Mgr. a few times, and could make no sense whatever about why the CPU would show major tasks running when nothing was opened ... It's almost impossible lately to utilize Internet Explorer, and do believe I upgraded to 8 ... just don't remember when. Still ... does it maybe run in the background even when IE is closed?

I even was suspecting someone/thing was trying to access my computer even while off-line (and then wondered if it were possible through our internet connection for someone to attempt getting in), but virus scans show nothing. This computer and Guru's are both on the same router, but he has no problems ... Anyway it's driving me nuts!

Spank, I sort of kind of told Pops I was pre-ordering a bulldog ... He gave me one of his long-suffering 'See what I have to live with' looks. He's so cute when he does that!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 3:34 PM
  • Mom,

Do you realize it's going on two days and nobody has had a spat with anybody yet. That Spank must have worked his magic. Closest thing to political was me wanting a recount from Turnips.

We may need to audit her, I think she keeps score like some of the people I played cards with years ago.

One thing about Turnips, she appears to go to bed at a reasonable hour, unlike me, gets up late, like me, takes a nap half the afternoon, unlike me again, and then hits and runs, trying to do maximum amount of damage to her competition.

Think I about got her figured out!

Sorry to hear you are having computer problems also. If you buy a new one now, you have to search around or you get Vista with a free upgrade to System 7, but there are some vendors out there who still will supply XP with a free upgrade. I will not take Vista, I will keep what I have before I do that. But a new one with XP and a free upgrade for future conversion would allow one to have a reliable program and availability of the latest, AFTER they experiment with others and a few of the bugs are worked out.

Mom (whispering) maybe we are all being monitored by alien forces from Mars or somewhere! Don't tell anybody!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 3:59 PM
  • Wiff, be careful and if you catch any fish.... don't choke on a fish bone.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 4:00 PM
  • Spank,

If we are being probed/monitored, they are not going to learn much from me. I wish they would hurry up and get it over with. That way they could get on with somebody important!

I got a picture of my Great Aunt Rose/your Great Grandma in here somewhere, maybe that is what they are looking for. Trying to trace it back to you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 4:31 PM
  • Spank,

You get Gates out to the possum fry and I'll cancel whatever I have to and be there.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 4:33 PM
  • Spank, you been hittin' the sauce? ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 5:23 PM
  • Think I about got her figured out!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 3:59 PM

I know Wheels has. te he he ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 5:25 PM
  • She's saying a Beel or Debrock.

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 5:15 PM

Right in both cases, was a Debrock and married a Beel.

I like a mystery... don't you?

You have relatives that you have no idea of. I think you got kind of skittish after thinking you might be related to Turnips yesterday!

I wish I was going to the reunion, other than the chicken and dumpling of course.

Let me ask you something. Were you one of the kite flyers down at your Grandpa's that let it go down across the road, leaving a string stretched from fence to fence. The one that spooked my brother's horse while he was galloping down the road and looking back giving it one of those hearty Hi Ho Silver Awaaaay... while waving to his cousins. The horse put on the brakes causing my brother to go over his head into the gravel. I think he may still be looking for the kite flyer.

Laughed by tail off when I heard it

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 6:04 PM
  • Different case actually.

I have to go watch my grandson get abused. He plays running back for the football team.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 6:29 PM
  • HaveWheelsWillTravel,

Been out spraying herbicide.

If you use Outlook Express, you won't have any trouble with Outlook.

Do you know if a machine with Vista will be able to upgrade to System 7? I may go with that for my wife's computer when/if they get the bugs out and it is not too much trouble; may be on meds by then from Vista. I am going to stick with XP in mine until smoke starts curling up out of it; getting too old to learn new tricks. I thought the whole idea was too make things simpler, not more complicated.

I am not familiar with the program you are using. I have used Seacrest, Works, Lotus, Wordperfect and Word and have settled on Word as the one that works best for me. I have also used a couple of speech recognition programs, but went back to typing some time ago.

-- Posted by D'oh on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 6:56 PM
  • A stud muffin contest! Heh, heh, heh. It could be decided by the winner of the Truffle Shuffle Dance-Off!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 7:39 PM
  • BN1401,

Don't know much about the new System 7 yet, but from what I have heard, if Vista even works at all this would probably work and anything should be an improvement. I know they are selling machines with Vista on them now that comes with a free System 7 upgrade., Going backwards to XP would be a step in the right direction.

Oh the program I spoke of isn't a word processor. I use Word for that myself having used Word Perfect and Muliti Mate before that. The program I mentioned was a language translation program, I use it to translate German and Dutch back to English from time to time. Works so so. But it does have a spell check with it that some way manages to show up on SO's page with a little button beside the box where we type our comments in. I did nothing to make it happen and at first thought it was from the Misourian. I haven't used the speech recognition thing, but I would imagine by the time you trained it to recognize your voice, you could do an awful lot of typing.

Well the grandson's team lost their football game, but he managed to make it through with no more than a strained hamstring and a few bruises. He is at that indestructable age, 18, he thinks. I just hope we can get him out of high school and into college before he gets seriouly hurt playing football.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 10:06 PM
  • I think we could take her in. Might have to get her some help. (If you know what I mean)

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 6:35 PM

Yeah Spank, Turnips would probably fit in ok if she would just seek some counseling first! Cause I don't think she's too high on possum.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 10:09 PM
  • Wheels,

Sorry about the not getting back. Been a really long day. Thank you so much for the links. And no worries about posting stuff I might already know, I really appreciate what you have done for me!!!

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 10:43 PM
  • Pups,

If our paths ever cross, I'll make you buy me a beer. Just kidding, I waa happy to do it and hope there may be something in there for you. I enjoyed what I learned about the Germans in Russia, which I was not aware of. Most of Germans were closer to Holland.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 10:55 PM
  • Wheels,

If we promise to keep the discussion along the lines of this thread (no name calling, not right vs left), Hell, I'll even buy you lunch. lol

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:06 PM
  • Pups,

No, lunch would have to be on me, I owe you remember? You go to work every day to make sure my check doesn't bounce.

Hasn't this thread been a pleasure? If you read the previous posts, you will see I almost got political when I asked Turnips for a recount on her 4/0 record of who wins the latest battle of wits contest.

Otherwise things have gone smooth as silk.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:12 PM
  • Wheels, I sure don't know what I did to be so special...you think about me if when I'm not around. ;o)

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:22 PM
  • Spank,

Did you let Turnips back in when you came back?

Hi Turnips!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:29 PM
  • Spank...you are right, I ain't eatin' no rabbit either. And I stopped fallin' for the 'it tastes like chicken' BS a long time ago. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:31 PM
  • Sure I do....Bambi, Thumper, Kermit...all of those fine Disney characters we all know and love. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:36 PM
  • Wheels,

Hey just an fyi,,,if you go to that last link you profided that has "Kassel Village History - 1848"

Read down and the Village Mayor mentioned is my G-G-G-G-Grandfather on my Father's side. The name is spelled differently these days. But lik you and I know spelling changed even amoung siblings.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:36 PM
  • Spank,

Thanks for the words on the Grandson. I have never been school sports biggest fan. I know my Grandkids have enjoyed them but I worry about them getting hurt.

About three years ago, in a basketball game, this same kid, while playing basketball, jumped up while running to catch a ball thrown over his head, when he came down he slid into a concrete wall, that should have been padded and wound up with two knots on his head, one from the wall and the other from hitting the floor when it knocked him out. That was a very long few minutes until an ambulance came and took him to the hospital. He came out ok... thank God.

He is the oldest grandchild and is a very good student. By the time he graduates high school he will have enough college credits from taking honors courses through St. Louis University to have earned him his first year of college. I would rather see him use his brain as have his body mangled in sports.

By the way... did I mention I'm kind of proud of him?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:41 PM
  • Turnip,

Try Saffron. Every thing tastes like fish (as in sushi) Went there tonight. Very yummy!!

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:42 PM
  • Wheels,

oooohhh and the Mehlhaf mentioned at the end is my G-G-G-G-G Grandfather. His daughter married the grandfather listed about. Whooo hooo... you made my day by getting me confirmation on information I had. Thank you.

Wow, sould like a kid let loose in a candy story. Sorry.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:47 PM
  • Pups, Shoguns is even better. Love those cucumber rolls, sumarai steak...now that's good eating. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:48 PM
  • Wheels,

Oooops got to excited, his daughter married the son of the grandfather listed above. Dang it so excited I can't keep my greats in order. lol

Sorry, I know that might be only something Wheels and I understand but given few in my family show an interest I get a bit carried away when I find out stuff.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:51 PM
  • sorry, Spank...can't help ya on the gizzards, I don't do internal organs either. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:52 PM
  • Turnip,

That is next on my list to try. Thanks.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:52 PM
  • Pups, I would recommend goin' during the lunch hour, the prices are more reasonable & the portions are about the same.

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:53 PM
  • mmmm gizzards (done in my best Homer voice). Hearts and livers are good too. Turnip, we have to expand you palet. ;)

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:54 PM
  • Turnip,

Good idea, maybe that's where I should get Wheels that beer and lunch I owe him. That is if he doesn't mind the fish still flopping abit still. hehe

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:56 PM
  • Spank, it's just beef. They use some kind of marinate that make it's delicious. Saffron is a sushi restaurant, Shoguns is a Japanese restaurant, they actually cook the food in front of you on a hibachi. It's pretty cool.

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:57 PM
  • Spank,

Depends, how do you feel about raw?? No shooting or cooking but they do clean them. lol

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:58 PM
  • Pups, throw in some saki & he won't mind a thing. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:58 PM
  • sashimi is raw fish, sushi is just the way it is prepared, in seaweed. You all are making me hungry, guess I know where I'll be having lunch tommorow. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:00 AM
  • Turnip,

Sounds like you found out next lunch spot. You just have to let us know when. :) Though saki might be off the table for me if I have to go into work after. lol

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:01 AM
  • Pups, sounds good to me, MeLange & I have talked about getting together as well. You think she'd like it?

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:05 AM
  • That sounds a bit confusing, sorry, I didn't mean for tommorow.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:07 AM
  • Spank, relax...you will love the octupus. ☻ If the tenticles move just bite harder. lol

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:08 AM
  • Turnip,

Will have to check. Been busy so haven't had a chance to get in touch with her for a while. Last I heard she was a bit under the weather.

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:08 AM
  • Spank,

Sounds like it isn't only Turnips pallet(sp) we need to expand. lol

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:09 AM
  • Pups,

I am presuming that would be in the first couple of sentences of that article?

I find History of any kind very interesting, always have. And family history has a special fascination. I can get all wrapped up in the ins and outs of a family that may have come through my home community and then moved on. To me it is interesting to just see how they lived. And they need not be related to me to get wrapped up in their history.

I read that whole Kassel history article, and it is pretty much a repeat of what I find with most of the immigrants of that day. They were poor as church mice. And we think we have it rough today.

I had a Great Grandfather living in Bollinger County around the 1900 - 1910 era, who had his leg so mangled up in an encounter with a hay mower that he had to have his leg amputated. The doctor did it on the kitchen table without anesthetics, It is my understanding there was no time to do anything different as a delay would have meant him bleeding to death. So a horse and wagon ride to Cape Girardeau was out of the question. He later fashioned his own wooden leg from a tree harvested on the famiy farm.

Will guarantee you I am not that tough.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:11 AM
  • What happened to Wheels??

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:11 AM
  • Ooops spoke to soon.

Wheels,

I know what you mean. I wonder if I would have been able to survive what my ancester did. Can tell you from what I remember about Grandfather and Grandmother, they were some tough critters. Not overly effectionate, but when you did get a hug it meant a great deal. Also, Grandmother was so good at making the food stretch that she could slice the balogne so thin you could read the paper through it. lol But that's what you needed to do back then to make sure everyone ate, that she never got over it. Heck my father to this day will not throw out bacon grease. He just cooks his eggs in it.

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:19 AM
  • Pups, looks like that's two in need of saki. I'll be the designated driver.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:20 AM
  • Spank,

Sounds like a great idea for a pot luck. Everyone bring the most exotic food they have eaten. Wondering how that would go over?

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:21 AM
  • Dang it I was busy ready about Pups relatives and missed all the food talk.

Spank, I am sure you would love oysters on the half shell!. They don't move a bit and with a little horseradish mixed with a little ketchup for a homemade cocktail sauce and a cracker, they are hard to beat.

By the way, I think eating at a sushi bar is safer than eating at a chinese restaurant. At least there are cats hanging out around the trash cans at a sushi bar, something you won't find at a chinese restaurant.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:21 AM
  • Turnip,

Isn't the term designated driver a political thing?? j/k It has been ages since I tried saki. Would share some with Spank and Wheels if we get them there. ;)

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:23 AM
  • Oh, Wheels....you are gonna get it for that one. Not by me, mind you...I only trust a couple local restaurants.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:25 AM
  • Wheels ... Friday night seafood buffet at Jer's always has oysters on the half-shell, with the horseradish sauce. Who'd think anyone in a place like MH would accept such a concept, huh?

And frog legs! And things I don't recognize ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:26 AM
  • Wheels,

I've checked out a couple of the other sites. Have to do a bit more research but think I have relatives in the one link that takes you to the family tree. Alot of known relatives ended up in the Lodi, Ca. region. Again, thank you.

Well need to call it a night. It has been a pleasure to chat even if some would call our conversation 'girl chat'. Oh well, scre.w them. It's been great on this thread for two whole days. Thanks Spank!!

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:28 AM
  • Pups,

Saki is not high on my list but I can drink it. One of the few things that I have found I cannot hardly swallow is that damned cactus juice out of Mexico. I don't drink Marguaritas ever. And it was 8 or 9 martinis' that did me in one night many years ago. Haven't had one of them since. I was too ill to get up the next day. Although they never made me sick to my stomach or anything, I simply could not function.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:29 AM
  • One more thanks to you for this thread, Spank! Maybe it's the only one I should open up from now on ... just to be safe? ~laughing~

Oh, I did some research on the English Bulldogs ... Great little dogs! But the white ones are really ugly ... I think.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:30 AM
  • Pups,

Good Night!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:31 AM
  • 8 or 9 martinis, Wheels??? You must have been a zombie by the time you went to bed!

We'll have to tell you about our night of Tequila sometime ... when Pops and I were dating. Maybe he'll blush again?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:34 AM
  • Spank, who are you kidding....I don't eat raw fish. ☻ No sir-e bob, only cucumber rolls for me. (Cucumber/white rice wrapped in a yummy seaweed roll dipped in the perfect blend of wasabi & soy sauce)

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:35 AM
  • Nite, Pups.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:35 AM
  • Never had them, Spank ... but sure liked 'turkey fries.' Hard to imagine the patience it would take to ... um ... acquire them?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:37 AM
  • Mom,

I am going to try and make the Friday night seafood buffet if I can arrange it.

Not often I try oysters on the half shell this far inland, but there are some exceptions. There is a seafood supplier that has been in business for over a 100 years in a little fishing village across the river from us when we go to Gulf Shores. It is called Bon Secur Fisheries and I have seen their trucks in this part of the world.

Frog legs are good. The taste like chicken. He he he.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:37 AM
  • Don't tell Turnip what mountain oysters and turkey fries are!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:38 AM
  • Now, now....gurusmom, I picked the next spot for SO lunch and am fluent in the terminology, you sure you want to start that game? lol

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:40 AM
  • Anything a person wants another person to try, just say it tastes like chicken, huh?

Not very into 'fishy' flavors, myself ... only like mild whitefish really. Did try alligator and snails in Florida ... actually, liked both! With the latter, though, had to keep telling myself I did NOT have a snail in my mouth ...

Would be great if you can arrange to be there Friday.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:42 AM
  • Spank,

I will draw the line on the rocky mountain oysters, thank you very much. I was around the barnyard at what you might consider "harvest time".

I always felt sorry for the pigs!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:42 AM
  • Got an out, Turnip ... I don't do SO lunches anymore.

So ... you know what the 'oysters' and 'fries' are, then? ~laughing~ I thought only old codgers raised on a farm knew that ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:45 AM
  • pigs aka rocky mountain oysters....ohhhhh. Spank, that was not very 'nice'. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:45 AM
  • Saw that many of the bulldogs ended up in rescue shelters, Tank ... the article said it was generally due to people not wanting all the 'care' of them, like washing their so-ugly-they're-cute (in my opinion) faces and the wrinkle creases every day ... and to because the owners did not establish their 'top dog' status.

Really like most of what I read, their personalities in particular.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:48 AM
  • No, gurusmom, I didn't...Wheels has a big mouth. (te he he) I just assumed it was not good. That's a shame you don't participate in the lunches anymore but that does make you safe. ;o)

Spank, love seaweed, keep sleeves of it around for a quik snack. It's dried, like sheets of paper. My hubby says it smells like river water...go figure.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:51 AM
  • Same here, Wheels ... Was involved in the 'pig dressing' when we lived on the farm ... Husband and his dad were pleased to not have to share all the 'oysters' with me.

Heck, even after cussing and chasing those pigs all over 40 acres various times, I still kind of hated to eat them.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:54 AM
  • Is seaweed good for us in some way, Turnip? Guess it would be low cal, low fat, huh? And where do you buy it, anyway?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:56 AM
  • Darn! Almost 1:00 ... and company's coming tomorrow and the dishes are still in the sink from supper! Better get myself in gear here!

Good night, whoever may be still hanging around.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:58 AM
  • Mom,

How are you on shrimp? Have you ever tried the Royal Reds. They are deep water shrimp, coming out of from 1800 to 2400 ft of water.

The only way they serve them in Gulf Shores any way is steamed, and you get them hair, feathers and all. It is your job to clean them when you eat them.

There is a place in Gulf Shores called Ribs N Reds. Their Ribs are good but their Reds are outstaning. They have a nice sized serving of Royal Reds as an appetiser, so instead of an entree I usually do two appetisers of the Reds. Did get hungry a little later while we were listening to the music one Saturday night and had a 3rd order of them.

And you keep referring to Pops and his abilities at a buffet. You are speaking to a professional here. Laughing.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:58 AM
  • Good Night Mom!

Good Night Turnips!

and top of the evening to you Spank!

Gotta go myself.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:02 AM
  • gurusmom, I'm not certain about the health benefits from seaweed. Cape has always had some sort of asian market, Global Trading, I think...now it's Pacific Rim or something like that, they sell it. Heck, Schnucks might now, they have been dabbling in that market over the years.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:02 AM
  • Spank,

Tell your Mom,

I was a grade ahead of her in school and there were only 3 boys in my class. Two of those boys were named Ed, and I was neither of them.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:05 AM
  • Turnips,

That stuff is Pond Scum!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:06 AM
  • Nite gurusmom, Wheels. Have a great weekend.

Do you want me to see if I can get us an appointment to harvest some of those rocky mountain oysters?

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:59 AM

Spank, I'll try anything ONCE, I just won't eat it. lol

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:06 AM
  • Nite Spank. ☻ I just got a flash from the 'Waltons'. lol

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:09 AM
  • Spank,

I have enjoyed your post and the civil exchanges, but you need to start a new one as I am about to smoke a chip scrolling to the bottom...

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:10 PM
  • Spank,

Tell your Mom that she should be able to rattle off the first four grades when she started school.

Hell I think there may have been larger families around.

How's the weather looking for the reunion. Doing lots of raining here. BN1401 has a scrolling problem.LOL Maybe you need to start Be Nice - Part II

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:21 PM
  • BN1401,

If you hit "End" on the keyboard, it automatically goes to the bottom of the page. See, problem solved.

Everybody must be sleeping in today.

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:18 PM

BN1401

Hmmmm! Young Whippersnappers!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:41 PM
  • I think the new thread should be called the 'Peanut Gallery'. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 12:57 PM
  • Spank,

Nothing to be sorry about. I thought it was hilarious!

Caused my brother to have to walk home if I remember correctly. The horse, being a suspicious sort, figured there was going to be a consequence for dumping him and went to the barn!

Very observant horse, I suspect.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:13 PM
  • Tank and Wheels,

Seems like I have mentioned "old dog; new tricks" somewhere if not on here. Maybe if I get "quad focals", in the right light I can find "end" somewhere on my laptop keyboard...

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:18 PM
  • BN1401

I missed that as well and was not laughing at you! I was laughing at us! I have scrolled until like you said, almost ignited something.

Dang it and I have used the end key for other things.

Now if Spank would just tell me what to do with the busy CPU.... short of having to change Browsers. It's busier than the dickens right now.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:28 PM
  • Have_Wheels_Will_Travel,

It seems as though at our age, in order to learn something new, something else has to be discarded to make room. I started out on an old, new at the time Apple IIC with no hard drive and programs on a floppy disk. In order to do "bold, italics", and such, you had to enter a string of symbols before and after. Then on to more "modern" computers like the IBM XT with DOS codes and so on into the modern age of Windows at home while we still used the old green screen "dumb terminals" at work with yet another set of non DOS commands to learn including 24F key combinations. Then we incorporated Windows with our system for some things and the green screen for others. In order to function properly now, I may need to have my memory wiped clean and reboot.

I have an older computer in which I was experiencing similar problems as you describe and after repeated attempts to get it to work properly, I bought a new one. My problems started when I installed an external hard drive with software and it did not go away when I removed it. As you know, when you install new software, it can change your registry and not all programs it seems are compatible. I am guessing you have already customized your "Start Up" settings. They make some programs that do registry repair which Tank is probably familiar; don't know which are good myself. Beyond the basics, computers remain a mystery to me.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 2:04 PM
  • Tank,

Thanks, I got out my magnifying glass and mine is in the upper right hand corner. Now if I can just find some "day-glo" paint...

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 2:07 PM
  • BN1401,

You said "I bought a new one. "

That very likely is the best answer.

I have been trying to find a Forum that deals with Explore 8 and have yet to find one that has the same symptons, although I did find out the best way to uninstall it, which was not the way I handled it. I do believe Explorer 8 is my problem. I find the CPU gets busy when I am doing nothing and having nothing but Explorer loaded, all I have to do is close Explorer and everything settles down. I do use a program to deal with registy problems. It is called Pitstop and I also use a good Virus Scanner called Malwarebytes, which is a free download. Repaired a friends computer using it when Nortons would not isolate and remove the infected files he had accumulated. Malwarebytes identified and let me remove 9 or 10 infected files in about 15 minutes and put him back in operating order.

I have been dealing with these things since Radio Shack Model I days where I had 4K of memory and had to use a casette recorder for storage. This deal has me pulling my hair out.

Arrrghhh!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 2:26 PM
  • Wheels, Spank,

So which is the "best" way to uninstal Exp 8?

I quite using Norton about three years ago when it completely screwed one of my machines up and when I uninstalled it, I had to go into the registry and do it manually, which for me was really tedious and nerve wracking; don't want to ever do that again. I now use Trend Micro. I have used Adaware in the past, but not recently and also tried a program by Webroot, but it conflicted with Trend Micro. Do you know if Adaware is compatible with Trend Micro?

As aggravating as these things are, I sure would hate to do without them.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 3:14 PM
  • Tank,

That is the way I usually do it, but wasn't sure it would remove all the traces, thanks.

I am going to get rid of it and try Mozilla, if you don't hear back from me, you will know it didn't work; wonder how late Best Buy is open...

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 3:29 PM
  • BN1401,

I think what I did wrong was to go in and unintall Explorer 8 and then turned around and installed Explorer 7. Had I restarted, as I understand the instructions, Explorer 7 should have been back automatically. I am giving you a link to what I found

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

The next link deals with repairing Explorer, and I might try that.

http://www.msie.com/?t202id=710947&t202k...

Reading the various comments, I am not sure that the problem has to do with our virus protection, be it Trend Micro, AVG or Nortons, we are all having problems it seems. And yes Nortons has plenty of issues, not the least is they are a memory hog and they try to take control of everything. I think I am going wait until Microsoft comes out with what they are reportedly beta testing and if the reports are good, go to that one.

I have had given up on bucking the system with Microsoft, they favor their own programs to operate with Windows in my opinion. Have used Coreldraw for years and there are definitely some compatibility issues with windows and maybe I shoul upgrade again.

As a sidenote, since shutting down Explorer 8 twice and restarting the beast seems to be behaving itself for the last couple of hours. It is tough to diagnose a come and go at will problem.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 3:54 PM
  • Spank,

Spank, I honestly could not find IE8 to delete it and I know I installed it; computers remain a mystery to me. I installed Firefox in short order and will find out over the next few days how well I like it, so far it is not too hard to figure out.

I buy stuff at Best Buy and was referring to buying a new computer, but as to Geek Squad, when I paid to have my system set up by them to save my old bones wear and tear rolling around on the floor, after he left, assuring my wife everything was set up and all files transferred from the old system, I had to go and reload all of the peripherals and software as well as transfer the files and back them up.

Incidentally, where is a good place for computer work should I ever need it?

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 4:01 PM
  • Spank, I honestly could not find IE8 to delete it and I know I installed it;

-- Posted by BN1401 on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 4:01 PM

BN1401,

Click the box to show updates located up towards the top of Add or Remove programs.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 4:10 PM
  • Spank, it that the block hole you are tryin' to dunk me in?? ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 4:13 PM
  • James,

I am getting hungrier by the minute.

I think I can do Jer's and I know Mom and Pops want to as well, I think Spank wants to come also, but he is just a kid, think we ought to let him tag along? Just kidding Spank! You probably won't hear much from Mom today... think she said something about needing to do the dishes about 1:00 am because she had company coming today.

Sounds like you had a lunch/early dinner fit for a King. Yes leaving the possum off the menu is a great move. The wine goes nice also. Never tried any of the Yellow Tail... how is it? I see it in the wine section of the Super Markets around her. I have been concentrating on the Missouri wines of late. Our Dierbergs Store has everthing from St. James to Mount Pleasant and many in between in their Missouri Section.

I can drink anything from a Dry through a Port and enjoy them. Mount Pleasant has a Tawny Port that I like as well as a normal Red Port. Most often drink something along the lines of a Chardonay or something Semi-Dry.

Regards the home grown tomatoes, got some of them, did the topsey turvey thing this year, Bollinger County style. I used 5 gallon buckets and made my own. The little grape/salad tomatoes are doing great, the beefsteaks, not so fine. The little grapes are very decorative as well.

I'm thinking about a new HP laptop with 4 GB installed, but I don't like Vista and can still get XP Professional with a free upgrade to the new System 7 they are coming out with Oct 22. I think the problem with Vista on my wife's machine has more to do with not enough memory as they tell me that Vista takes lots of installed memory.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 4:30 PM
  • Wheels,

Got it thanks; retirement is rotting my brain.

James,

It is going to take me a while to get use to, but I know a lot of people prefer it over IE. Right now I don't care for the way it shows Bookmarks, but I am sure I am missing an easy way to use them. I am not to the point of tabs, yet; any hints? Is there a Internet Spell Check feature like there was for IE? Thanks

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 4:31 PM
  • James,

Thanks, I got 3.5 which is supposed to be the latest and also I just noticed it has an automatic spell check just like Word. I really think I am going to like it once I use it a while.

I have kind of gotten away from using Google due to the fact that it supposedly tracks stuff and am now using Bing.com for my primary search engine. I have not used it long enough to know if it is as good as Google, but it is supposed to be.

I also found when I uninstalled IE8 that they DO NOT want you to uninstall at least it seems that way with the dire warnings your system may crash and locusts may show up in the morning.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 6:38 PM
  • BN1401,

You have disrespected the Gods of Redmond. Please don't tell them you know me... I couldn't possibly stand any more problems.

Went to the Official Microsoft Repair site and damned if they didn't open up a program that scanned and found so many proplems on my computer it would distress a Saint. Then they said they fixed one of them and wanted me to buy the program to do the rest of the some 900 problems. RegCure I believe it was. I didn't like the whole sneaky way of getting into my wallet so I turned that off. The machine was setting here doing nothing for a long time, even Explorer was closed ad suddenly the CPU got terribly busy, between 50% and 100% bouncing back and forth.

Ran Pitstop and it didn't find hardly any of the crap they reported in my FREE check.

I think your suggestion, Buy a new one was best.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 7:08 PM
  • Actually I told them I was James Nall, so...

I have tried those "free" programs and they are all the same, it always winds up the same way with a demand for money to continue with a few exceptions like Spybot, Adware and a couple others.

Can you wipe your hard drive and reinstall your original operating system and software? I know it is a bear, but I have done it on other systems though I haven't on XP.

Computers often mystify me. I much prefer something mechanical that you can take apart and see what is broken.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 7:41 PM
  • BN1401,

A year ago approx, I doubled the size of my hard drive, increased my memory to 2 GB and reinstalled the operating system, along with all of my files etc. etc. That was a job I did not enjoy and if I have to move my files again, and reinstall the programs I use, it will be onto a new computer. Reason being, I would not bet that I do not have a hardware issue, or at least in addition to other problems and If I went to all of that work and it did the same thing, it would not be pretty. Anyway, I got another year out of less than $125 worth of upgrades, so not to complain.

If I knew somebody I felt comfortable with being able to fix this thing for less than it is worth, I would take it to them, unfortunately I do not and in the past have paid some people to do work on a computer that turned out to be dumber than me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 8:28 PM
  • Wiff,

You have to go to the beginning to realize this thread is strictly a place nice. Anyone misbehaving is dealt with strictly and judiciously. Spank is in charge of this linkup!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 8:32 PM
  • Wiff,

PS: Sorry it is raining on your parade this afternoon. It has been raining in the St. louis area since sometime in the night and mostly all day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 8:33 PM
  • Wiff,

Maybe I should have said, it is like Happy Gilmore's "Happy Place".

No unhappy people allowed. See Spank, for further details!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 8:38 PM
  • Thanks, guys ... printed out all your suggestions ... beginning to wonder if it IS Explorer 8 ... can't remember when I upgraded or just when these problems that sound exactly like yours began.

Use AVG, and like it 100% better than Norton. Only thing is, I gather it doesn't have a firewall ... at least the free version doesn't.

James ... Oh, sigh ... okay ... Can't stand to see a grown man cry. How does 6:00 or 6:30 sound ... Is that too late for you, or for Wheels (if he can make it)? And heck, let the Spank Kid join in ... Being around youngsters is good for us ... Tiring maybe, but good. Unfortunate that we can't have a glass of wine at Jer's, though.

Funny about Microsoft and your scan, Wheels! Guru ran a comprehensive and lengthy scan on mine, then went into files one-by-one, found nothing to cause these problems.

And yes, BN ... that's what Guru suggested today ... what he calls "blasting" my machine ... Save everything (can do it all from his computer because we're routed together--or something like that), wipe it all out and start all over. He's done it before, only problem was some files got a little confused and weren't where I thought they should be?

Company's watching a movie, Pops is dozed off in his recliner ... Olivia Newton-John is singing to me ... And I've been trying to get the Missourian to change my avatar, but it won't for some reason ... Thought the Spider Web would be kind of appropriate ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 8:46 PM
  • Mom, I will confirm the 6:00 to 6:30 thing, really don't there will be a problem. This is something I don't want to miss.

I think Spank is getting ready for his family reunion, I would love to crash that, the people attending will know how to do chicken and dumlings. I've done worse than show up, go to the front of the line and start eating while everyone wondered who that was. I and another guy managed to get into the Mayor's Reception during a National Show in Louisville KY once, with guards at the door. It was supposed to be for dignitaries but we borrowed a couple of Press Passes. Some of the biggest and best shrimp I ever ate.

You know, I wonder yet what happened on that Microsoft site, maybe I will try again.

PS: I think your fan club has been imortalizing you on a couple of these other threads.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 8:58 PM
  • Why I thought my spiderweb picture would be a good avatar ... Something to remind me not to get so caught up in sticky situations? You're funny, you know that?

I do get out of sorts now and then (hate that I do) and really need to lighten up then (Spank keeping us in line hasn't seemed to be much of a problem in here!) ... just ask Pops. ~laughing~ The worst I usually do is mumble almost-under-my breath now and then in the kitchen ...

We're really looking forward to Friday evening!

BTW ... when y'all talk about dumplings, are you talking about what I call noodles?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 9:28 PM
  • BTW ... somewhere around here I have the recipe for Leopold's 'dumplings.' Just haven't taken the time to reduce it to feed 4-6 rather than 100's.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 9:31 PM
  • Dumplings, you know.... German Pasta, like you had at the Leopold Picnic.

Life is funny, not me. I'm very serious!

Me too on Friday evening.

I do see where you lost your ballons. got to watch that stuff, if you remember James lost his snake sometime back.

I like my self portrait and don't intend to change.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 9:54 PM
  • Nothin' worse than a guy losing his snake! ~blushing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 10:48 PM
  • Nothin' worse than a guy losing his snake! ~blushing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 10:48 PM

Oh dear me!

Tank,

Stop it you are making me hungry! Tell you what, tomorrow when you have had all you can eat, go over and get one more small helping of those dumplings and eat them for me. Might have a beer for me while you are at it also. Preferably the real thing. Life's too short to drink light beer.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 11:16 PM
  • Makes me want to go to the attic and drag out the old family recipes I used to make, Spank! My Dad made the absolute best yeast rolls ... tried to teach me, but they never were the same.

To me, dumplings are big round puffy, airy on the inside, um ... dumplings, dropped on top of the chicken stew or chili or even a pot of simmering berries.

Always loved to cook ... just not the clean-up, even though I clean/rinse as I go. But with no big family anymore, have kind of let some of it slide. Like, cheating with canned chicken for pie or dumplings? I even started a cookbook years ago ... with family recipes from as far back as the mid- to late-1800's. That's in the attic, too.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 11:20 PM
  • Well, shoot, now my CD player is playing the same CD over and over and over ... What next?

Now I'm getting hungry, too, Wheels! Going to try some orange-glazed chicken breasts on the grill tomorrow, but not sure what else. Something different from the same old potato or macaroni salad or cole slaw ... all of which we've had this past week anyway. Any suggestions?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 11:28 PM
  • Spank, your Grandma's soup sounds a little maybe like Pops' daughter's, she calls Spaetzle? Really really good! She prefers to use deer meat in it, but just as good in my opinion with beef.

Chili with dumplings is super ... especially if you add a little cornmeal to the dumpling batter! I spent years working to perfect my dumplings so that the insides were dry and light ... Once in a while though they don't seem to turn out to my satisfaction. I usually add some tarragon to the ones on chicken stew ... tarragon complements the chicken somehow.

Mentioned to my daughter this evening that there might be a possibility of having an English Bulldog in our future. She gasped! She seems to know everything I researched about them ... Surprised me, as I thought she only knew about labs (she has two, my Granddogs).

The first thing she said was, "You know what the going price for them is?!!!" Then said she'd just have to come down for a couple of weeks and start the training (she's an assistant dog trainer, involved in lab rescue, etc.). We had quite an interesting conversation about the dogs ... think I surprised her in having a little bit of knowledge ... ~laughing~ She agreed though that they really have a way of worming themselves into a person's heart, and that they tend to be 'couch potatoes' if you let them.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 11:45 PM
  • Going to try some orange-glazed chicken breasts on the grill tomorrow, but not sure what else. Something different from the same old potato or macaroni salad or cole slaw ... all of which we've had this past week anyway. Any suggestions?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 11:28 PM

Mom,

Since you are eating healthy, some salmon always goes well on the grille??

I might do some Baby Back Ribs if they have them on sale. Usually do on a Holiday weekend. I like to just put some Loury's seasoned salt on them and let them go real slow. I also like to slice some large portabello mushrooms and grille them to eat while I do the meat. I usually pour some olive oil in a saucer and drop the mushroom slices in that before grilling on a sheet of foil.

And then maybe I should do some salmon. Depends on the weather though if I grill or not. It rained here nearly all day. Didn't see what is on tap for tomorrow.

Tank,

Light beer you say! Better drink at least two for me. Like to see everybody trying to go healthy.

Guess if I would have known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my body also.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 6, 2009, at 12:08 AM
  • How funny, Spank ... the 'little magic box' ... Yes, daughter indicated up there the cost averaged $1,200-$2,000. Gulp ...

I did read that ceasarean section was common, due to their large heads. Guess that would be a major vet expense!

JUST in case ... Thought I'd present some of our 'good parenting' ideals for your information: Our rescue dachshund was running up and down the fence with the neighbors' dog; the second time she came to the corner, she whipped around to start back, yelped, and fell over - paralyzed. Our vet suggested euthansia, but mentioned surgery that was at the time about 50% successful. We took her to U of MO vet school where she had spine surgery and then physical therapy for a week or so. Years later, as her old back started giving her some problems, we had a custom-fitted 'cart' made for her to use.

Don't happen to have any salmon steaks, Wheels ... and not going to drive to Cape for some, either. However ... when we were in TX, it was popular for some of us to do the 'planked salmon.' Mmmm, good!

Was thinking about some corn that's in the freezer maybe ... Wish I had a pineapple! Been so long since I was the 'grill master' that it'll probably take some practice. Just a lettuce and tomato salad, I guess ... but used all the Romaine for last night's supper ... sigh ... Wait! Company brought tomatoes and peppers from their garden ... a little olive oil and balsamic or red wine vinegar with basil and maybe some grated asiago maybe? Country Mart is convenient, but sure miss all the selection of fruits/veggies, etc. that they don't have.

Now and then we have seen a Swan's truck around here but it's been several years ... never heard of breaded green beans!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Sep 6, 2009, at 2:32 PM
  • Gurusmom,

You might check with someone who uses Schwan products and talk to the driver. We live in the country and are not on a regular route, but spoke to one who comes through this area and every two weeks he drops by. If we are not going to be home we just leave a "cool bag" out with our order. The breaded green beans are really good and grandkids who generally don't like green beans will eat them.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sun, Sep 6, 2009, at 3:01 PM
  • Spank,

Are you coherent? We're waiting for a reunion report!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 6, 2009, at 9:34 PM
  • Hmm, thanks BN ... Maybe some of the gals at Country Mart would know someone or ... guess I could see if they have a website, too. Used to really, really like their ice cream (many moons ago) ... great thing is the selection, where here in MH there really aren't many selections as far as flavors.

And well! If g.kids like the green beans, they MUST be good!

Spank may still be reunion-ing, Wheels --or perhaps recuperating from reunion-ing? It only sprinkled a little here, so it's been great weather for their reunion.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 12:08 AM
  • Spank! Thank goodness you're okay! Was picturing you lying somewhere out in a field too bloated to even crawl back to civilization.

Cherry pie definitely goes best with a glass of cold milk ... ah, you realize that now, huh?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 4:16 PM
  • Tank,

It's that light beer you're drinking. I couldn't even feel the two you had for me, so I stopped and got a six of good German Beck's Dark. That would hit the spot with cherry pie. You need to try it some time.

"Jerry gave me your info. When I showed mom the name, she just laughed and said, "I totally forgot about him"."

Tell your Mom... now my feelings are hurt. Just kidding!

You coming to Jers' Friday evening. I told James you was just a kid but that we could let you tag along... he, he. Would b honored to meet you.

I'm glad you had a good reunion. They can be fun, but sometimes you do get thrown in with those relatives you only do weddings and funerals with otherwise.

A new Bollinger County program... Hay for clunkers. Dang it I had to delete half of the last sentence, I had briefly forgotten this is the be nice channel. Don't fret about the 48 Dodge, I'm sure those two boys know how to use baling wire. They'll get it hung back together. I have full confidence in meeting that truck on the road someday.

Dear me... I wonder if that is confidence or terror?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 4:43 PM
  • Looks like Spank has been doin' some wishful thinking during his hiatus. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 6:09 PM
  • I appreciate the links guys. My computer is zooming again and it was all free. Thanks.

-- Posted by Mr. Wiffle on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 6:35 PM

Wiff,

Which one's did you use. I haven't done anything but grumble about mine. I know I am going to buy a new one, but I have decided to wait until they start installing System 7 from the factory. Even if you get the upgrade free the upgrade may not be trouble free fro some of the things I read.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 8:04 PM
  • Spank,

I am floored. Looked at one of the other flicks also. That girl is talented and beautiful..

Long way from Bollinger County, huh!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 12:44 PM
  • Spank, I'm glad to hear you are alive and well and truth be told I did and still do miss you a lil'. Now stop pouting & come back out and play. These threads are starting to get down right serious again. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 8:53 AM
  • Turnips,

Spank was going to come out and eat dinner with some of us oldsters Friday night but now he is kind of having second thoughts, something about going to a race or something. I think he is afraid he can't keep up with us senior citizens. LOL!

Or maybe he just doesn't like possum!

Have to run. I'm moving to Bollinger County today.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 9:21 AM
  • Turnips,

Did you see Spank's cousin in that link he provided yesterday? Mine too by the way. Quite a gal!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 9:23 AM
  • Wheels, yes, I saw the link. Moving to Bollinger County, eh? I'll warn the inlaws. te he he Actually considered yourself forewarned. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 9:34 AM
  • Spank,

We will miss you it sounds like.

Uncle Alvin doesn't have to worry. I pull into my brother's place and plug into his electric.

If you can find enough people to do this with... it is amazing how affordable retirement is! Te, he, he! Sometimes you can get a free Stag beer also.

Ditto on the snakes, spiders and tall ladders!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 6:16 PM
  • Hey, we've done that, Wheels ... Kept our fifth wheel in TX those first couple of summers, and traveled in the little 21' camper with the 'pop-out' ends (I LOVED that camper!), hooking into daughter's, son's, sister's electric ... not to mention a few nights at W.mart campgrounds.

We stayed once at a rest area along an interstate ... Once was enough.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 10:07 PM
  • Mom,

Just about caught up with you here. Jer's tomorrow evening?

James you going to be there, right?

Spank loves racing more than he loves us old folks, I'm mortified!

Going to be a Bollinger County resident for 10 days - 2 weeks??

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 10:17 PM
  • Yes, you two ... We'll be there, and really looking forward to it.

Guess I can't blame Spank for ... although I just can't understand how racing could compare to the antics and absurdities of Old Folks.

Well, James ... that's just one of the obligations we gals have ... trying to keep our spouses on track. ~laughing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 12:44 PM

Respond to this thread