Speak Out: Is this government meddling in health care?

Posted by FriendO on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 4:50 PM:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MO_ABORTION_MISSOURI_MOOL-?SITE=MOCAP&SEC...

Laws like this are popping up in more & more states: legal hoops citizens seeking lawful abortions, and doctors, must go through prior to that procedure.

Abortions are not federally funded, yet new laws now require these patients to pay for ultrasounds, read literature, take unnecessary doctor visits...

My question: where are the "government out of health care" people on things like this? Does it not count because it's abortion-related? Does it not count because the meddling comes from the state level, rather than federal?

The lack of an outcry about this particular brand of government-in-healthcare is interesting to me. Personally I find it to be maddening hypocrisy if you are against federal health care reform but support these kinds of laws.

Replies (10)

• Nice response. I'll put one point into "blatant hypocrite" column.

On another note, are you one of those guys who always talks about his money and drives a big car because his **** is so small?

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 5:04 PM
  • WHY NOT, how about a woman who's been raped or is the victim of incest? You going to tell them to keep their legs closed?

-- Posted by draco63701 on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 5:17 PM
  • James,

one point for the "consistency" camp. no surprises there

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 5:34 PM
  • "I don't talk about my money and I don't drive a car"

To me, constantly denigrating anyone less fortunate is the same as bragging about yourself.

Your assumptions that anyone that isn't you must be on the government dole belies the high regard you hold yourself in.

It's a disgusting trait, however it does usually stem from a subconscious need to make up for personal shortcomings, physical or otherwise, so I took a stab at a common one.

On that note I will return back to my original topic.

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 5:50 PM
  • Wiff,

Just want to remind you... if you have accumulated anything, it is your duty to die this year and leave it to your children. Next year Obama will be in there for his 55% share. But he will place it with worthy people so you should not worry just in case you decided to live.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 6:45 PM
  • It SHOULD be one way or the other.

Everyone wants it all though.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 6:59 PM
  • "Can you consider the RV as your legal home?"

Indeed you can. There are certain things you need to do.

Should you ever decided to do that, we can sit down over a beer sometime when I am in the area and I can fill you in on some of the better ways to do things. I've already made a good many of the mistakes.

I put my house up for sale and decided to stay in the motor home until it sold. Took two years to find a buyer and when it was sold we were going to buy a condo in a developement that looked promising. Well the recession hit and the project was put on hold, so we stayed in the motor home. Now the project looks like it is a go and we don't know if we want to move. We like it. I moved from 4000 sq ft down to a little over 400. If I decided tonight to go someplace for a couple of weeks, I couldn't possibly be ready before 10 am tomorrow. I'm settled in for the evening and I won't get up before 8:30am. ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 7:32 PM
  • Wheels, Not saying I'm slow, but I was driving down the road and got passed by a house one time. Was that you?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 8:10 PM
  • Good Grief Old John, I hope not. I do try to keep up with traffic though.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 8:28 PM
  • WHY NOT you don't know jack. What is funny is how similar we are. My family had nothing growing up. I have supported myself since I moved out at 18, and have worked since age 14. I worked my way through college and paid for it myself. I made NOTHING out of college.

I remember those dismal days just fine. You think I was on food stamps or welfare or something? Nope, didn't happen...I moved on to the "doing just fine, thank you" stage.

It's your attitude that you are somehow unique and special, while everyone else should bow down before your hard work that amazes me. Your story is just like everyone else's. You are not a special snowflake. You are not an American Hero. You are JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

The only difference is that some of us retained our humanity while working hard to get what we have, and some of us are thankful for what we have rather than complaining day in and day out.

You seem to have this strange, Galt-ian complex that everyone around you is inferior and somehow stealing your money. I've heard of people institutionalized for less. Get over yourself.

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 8:40 PM

Respond to this thread