Ex-husband of missing pregnant woman dies

Sunday, November 25, 2007

ST. LOUIS -- Family members of a missing pregnant woman say her ex-husband has died, leaving the future of the couple's 7-year-old daughter uncertain.

The parents of Amanda Jones said Jeffrey "Scott" Jones died Friday of unknown causes.

"I'm still in shock about it," said Bertha Propst, the mother of Amanda Jones. "My heart goes out to his family right now. My main concern is for our granddaughter."

Propst's daughter, Amanda, and Scott Jones married in 1999, separated in 2000 and divorced in 2002. Amanda Jones maintained custody of their daughter.

The 26-year-old woman went missing more than two years ago -- on Aug. 14, 2005. Jefferson County sheriff's detectives interviewed Scott Jones about her disappearance, but that's as far as it went.

"He was cooperative, and we did not consider him a suspect," said Jefferson County sheriff's Lt. Tommy Wright.

After Amanda Jones went missing, her daughter went to live with her father, Scott Jones, and his wife. Amanda Jones' parents sought visitation rights in court, according to court records.

At the time of her disappearance, Jones was just days away from giving birth to a son she planned to name Hayden Lucas. Jones had told her mother that she was going to the Hillsboro Civic Center to meet the man she believed to be the baby's father, Bryan Westfall.

Westfall, a former college instructor, has told authorities he had nothing to do with the disappearance and that Jones was alive when he left her at the civic center, a typical meeting place for both of them.

Jones' unlocked car was found at the civic center, but she hasn't been seen since.

No charges have been filed and Jones' body has not been found, although investigators have fielded numerous leads.

Propst said the focus at this time is on Amanda Jones' daughter.

"I'm very hurt for her," she said of the child. "I don't know how she's going to handle this."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: