Speak Out: gordonville speed trap

Posted by tiredofthecrybabies on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 9:56 AM:

i have a question...why has cape girardeau allowed gordonville's "barney fife"to write over a 100 bogus speeding tickets? bogus meaning three miles over the limit. this officer can say he is making the winding roads around gordonville safe..i see it as a quick way of producing revenue.the gordonvile grill is annice place to eat.i don't think it will stay open long..not so long a "barney" sits there waiting for his next victim.i predict the gordonville grill will turn back into what it was..a vacant building

Replies (16)

• I was always taught that speed limit was what was posted. Since when can you go over the posted limit and not be held accountable?

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 10:30 AM
  • Any Barney Fife cop who writes a ticket for 2 or 3 mph over the limit has too much idle time on his hands! Thats nothing but revenue gathering.

Airborne95b, we are all very happy you never drive at speeds over the limit.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 11:10 AM
  • That cop is a tool, with nothing better to do with his time. I've known for a while that gordonville was a trap. That's why I avoid it altogether. It's a shame for the people that own the grill, it's a nice place

-- Posted by Producer1 on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 11:24 AM
  • Does he have a radar gun? Many years ago my mom told me that she had been pulled over by Gordonvilles finest and when she asked what speed she was clocked at he said it "looked" like she was going over the limit. He did not have a radar gun. She broke out laughing and received a "warning"

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 2:10 PM
  • If I received a ticket for going 32 in a 30 mph speed zone; I would contest this in court.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 2:23 PM
  • If I received a ticket for going 32 in a 30 mph speed zone; I would contest this in court.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 2:23 PM

And you would probably win. This does happen more often than some would think. This officer is betting that the drivers will just roll over and pay the fine

-- Posted by Producer1 on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 2:25 PM
  • Come on Mega, You act surprized that a LEO is writing tickets but you list Storming Norman Copeland as a "Great Folks" in a diffrent artical. You must have known a diffrent Copeland than I did. He was hardcore 24/7, MSHP, Cape County Sheriff, U.S. Army.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 3:18 PM
  • Always ask to see the radar gun! They must show it to you if asked with the speed you were driving at locked in!!..Also ask when it was calibrated last.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 3:36 PM
  • That's not always a good thing to do. First of all, because the cop does NOT have to show you the radar gun. Second, because there is no way to know that what is on the gun when you look at it was, in fact, you that he clocked. He may have tagged a bird flying by and decided that since he couldn't issue a citation to the bird, that you would suffice.

For 2 mph, Missouri does not issue any points. Why would a judge throw out a ticket when doesn't adversely affect your MVR, but it puts desperately needed money into the state's budget? Often times, 2mph over is what they want you to plead down to for tickets issued for slightly faster...same money, no points.

We are in an economic downturn. States are hurting for money, and they are using their police forces to drum up revenue at gunpoint.

Sad thing is, we let them get away with it.

-- Posted by dixietrucker on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 4:06 PM
  • Me'Lange

Okay so I called my mom and she said it had to be in the 70's. What a small world, I grew up out at Gordonville as well. Though I did not start driving until 1985. We probably hung out together. Who knows.

Greywolf

I would prefer not to ask to see someones "radar gun". That must be difficult explaining to mrs. wolf why you want to see it. LOL

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 4:21 PM
  • Ah the back of the bus, how I remember that was the coveted seat to have and only the upper classman would dare sit there until your appointed time came.

Yeah after doing the years (1979 vs 1985) I was probably the little kid up front who needed help read "see Jane run" books on the bus and you where thinking of the party you are going to on Friday night. LOL

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 5:51 PM
  • Melange,

You probably remember Browns store. Funny how things change. I could ride my bike to get there and today don't even let my kids out of my sight.

Do you remember those two idiots that escape from Cape county jail back in the late 70's and walked down the railroad tracks to Gordonville. Only to end up on the front steps of the store and when the owner (Roy) shows ups they ask where the hotel is in town. Needless to say that where back in jail quickly.

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 6:00 PM
  • Me'lange,

I remember the big ole crane. Next time I am out that way I will have to look for it.

Yes I should be at the BBQ this year. Last year I was unable to attend but I did ask wolf if he saw you. Do you still do the lunch thing once a month? I don't follow speakout as much as I use to and was just wondering.

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 8:00 PM
  • OBEY THE LAW!!

-- Posted by bbqman on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 8:13 PM
  • Me'Lange,

Spoke to Wolf, contact him and he will let you know how to get in touch with me. Maybe he and I can meet you for lunch some day.

-- Posted by gman on Thu, Jun 25, 2009, at 10:08 AM
  • Me'lange,

Seems as if I will not be cooking at the BBQ CONTEST this year. My partner and I are taking a year off. We have competed the last 15 years and

we just don't want to put up with the heat of late

August. We hope that they change the date to Sept. or Oct. but doubt that will happen anytime soon. Besides, over 20 trophies and a Grand Champion trophy has left little room in our trophy case...lol

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Jun 25, 2009, at 10:13 AM

Respond to this thread