Speak Out: SEMO loss to Mizzou

Posted by SEMO Jihadi of Love on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 10:58 PM:

Semo has more often than not had a really crappy football program. The players give it their all and have got a lot of heart but their talent is being wasted by a coaching staff that, continually over the years, sucks. The team's rep is a joke and it will be that way until the university buys a coach that has some winning experience. Why not go after a coach who has won a game or two? I found a website that said their all-time win/lose record was 431--481--36.

I sincerely hope that those kids on the team are using the football program to pay for their academic career and have no aspirations of going pro. The really sad thing is that some of the kids through the years have had the talent to go pro but the coaches are clueless on how to develop it. It's a sad program and a joke. SEMO football has always been a joke and until the university spends the money to buy a good coach and coaching staff, it will remain the joke of the region.

To the players. You're the best part of that program and you deserve better than coaches who can't develop your talent to a place where you can consistently win games. You guys play your hearts out, everyone sees that. Your coaches however appear to be there for the paycheck and local celebrity (in their own heads).

Replies (24)

• How much money could be freed up to teach if there was no big investment in sports? Who's money do you propose to spend on buying a big time coach and staff?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 11:10 PM
  • SEMO will never attract the talent neccessary to be a consistant winner unless and until they build a college level stadium and facilities. If you are a top 1-AA talent, are you going to chose a program with a high school stadium and facilities?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 11:37 PM
  • If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 7:05 AM
  • SEMO Jihadi of Love: The best way to improve the SEMO football team is to close it down completely and spend the saved money on updating the current buildings, build new housing, and hire better teachers. The "football" students can go to other schools that have a well developed football program to further their sports career or heavens forbid a job in the real world.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 9:14 AM
  • Semo, That's pretty close to what I was thinking.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 9:24 AM
  • The football (and basketball) programs are self sustaining. ($385,000 payday for instance for playing Mizzou this past weekend) In fact, the money made by these programs supports the other sports programs. Cutting the football program will save nothing. The buildings have and are being updated and new housing has been built. Southeast Missouri State University continues to be one of the best higher educational values in the United States.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:04 AM
  • FFF, Curious, where you find that info?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:08 AM
  • I'm a big sports fan. Have been following sports all of my life. These are simply well known facts.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:11 AM
  • As far as SEMO's value with regards to costs, US News and World Report.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:13 AM
  • As far as SEMO's value with regards to costs, US News and World Report.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:24 AM
  • Oops!

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:24 AM
  • FFF: The head coach's salary is $175,000 per year and added to that his many assistant's salaries and the transportation & hotel costs would probably wipe out that $385,000 benefit. The other games that the team plays for the balance of the year would be peanuts since they don't play any ranked teams. Know you are a sports fan, why not support Mizzou who is a contender.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:27 AM
  • I do root for Mizzou.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:48 AM
  • P.S.

The vast majority of college football and basketball programs make money.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:49 AM
  • Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:49 AM

FFF: Yes they do, the ones in Division one that is. The rest need to stick with degrees for the students....just saying.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 11:41 AM
  • So college is foremost about the money?

Actually I can see the benefit of the publicity sports programs bring in helping with name recognition of a college or university, just think some institutions put too little emphasis on education. A lot of parents know all about the sports programs and nothing about what is being taught there.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 11:45 AM
  • Put that beer down and read very slowly.

Self-proclaimed "conservatives" want to throw taxpayer monies at unnecessary stuff ... like football stadiums.

Hey ding dongs... college football stadiums are not infrastructure.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 5:47 PM
  • FFF: Yes they do, the ones in Division one that is. The rest need to stick with degrees for the students....just saying.

-- Posted by semo471 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 11:41 AM

They can do both.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 5:56 PM
  • So college is foremost about the money?

Actually I can see the benefit of the publicity sports programs bring in helping with name recognition of a college or university, just think some institutions put too little emphasis on education. A lot of parents know all about the sports programs and nothing about what is being taught there.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 11:45 AM

Sounds like a parental problem, not a college one.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 5:58 PM
  • -- Posted by rally_squirrel on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 5:47 PM

So what's that all about?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 7:47 PM
  • Self-proclaimed "conservatives" want to throw taxpayer monies at unnecessary stuff ... like football stadiums. -- Posted by rally_squirrel on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 5:47 PM

I didn't know that Jay Nixon was a conservative republican? Really? All this time I thought he was a democrat - and he strongly supports taxpayer money for a stadium.

And then there's Holly Rehder. She's AGAINST public funding of a stadium in St. Louis. Isn't she a conservative republican?

How do you survive each day with such terrible judgment?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 8:30 PM
  • Have a solution to SEMO's football problem. Send the St. Louis "Ramless" to California and then have the SEMO Redhawks play up in St. Louis in the big stadium and after all the millions are made in ticket sales then hire a new coach....problem solved.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 9:57 AM
  • Have a solution to SEMO's football problem. Send the St. Louis "Ramless" to California and then have the SEMO Redhawks play up in St. Louis in the big stadium and after all the millions are made in ticket sales then hire a new coach....problem solved.

-- Posted by semo471 on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 9:57 AM

I'm in provided beer sales are allowed during the game.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 7:24 PM
  • If you had seen SEMO play this weekend Rick, you probably would change your mind on that one. Come to think of it, Mizzou didn't look all that good either.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 8:12 PM

Respond to this thread