Speak Out: Playing Nice With Mobs Is Not Working - Any Ideas For Plan B

Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 12:16 AM:

They are pretty much letting the mob burn Ferguson's Business District down while law enforcement stands around and watches.

Replies (121)

• Any thoughts on who's bright idea it is to stand by and let a mob take over? I suppose since Nixon preemptively already declared this a disaster area we can stand by and wait for FEMA to come in and clean up the mess at the taxpayers expense.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 12:20 AM
  • What would you do Wheels,,,,,,,,I say to the business owners, DON"T rebuild, leave the businesses vacant and workers moved to another location,,,,,,let the mob wipe out and have another Cairo in Missouri. Of course, you would blame Nixon regardless,,,,idiot.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 5:10 AM
  • There is no plan B. Anything done to stop the rioters and looters will result in cries of racism and police brutality.

Leave Ferguson to cleanse itself.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:24 AM
  • Where is commonsensematters ? What about his only poor minority in America ?

-- Posted by Diseased Turtle.. on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:27 AM

Why are you attacking Commonsense, aren't you doing the same thing as the looters? Attacking innocent people because they are mad. Now attack commonsense because you are mad?

Looters are opportunist. It serves nothing and guess what, those rims they stole at O'Reillys mean nothing on a burned out shell.

It is all stupidity.

I just want to see the facts. Obviously the grand jury knows something we don't, and we have yet to hear.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:39 AM
  • Plan B? He's on a plane heading to STL ready to gun up the rioters. All along I would have thought a manslaughter charge was in order until I heard the prosecutor speak last night. All the "facts" that were spread around(a lot on here)were proven false. Sad for everyone involved.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:22 AM
  • The prosecutor could not provide additional evidence, he only brought to light conflicting testimony.

It is unfortunate all the way around. Obviously he feared for his life, but I still believe he could have handled the whole thing better. It is what he was trained to do, but as I have claimed before, he went all 'Barney Fife'.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:38 AM
  • I never said you were attacking the looters, you have several times questioned where Commonsense was, like that would make a difference.

I, in no way, condone what has transpired.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:40 AM
  • Reasoning,I haven't found it but the complete grand jury transcripts on available online. I don't Facebook but wife does and it's from KMOV.com. Couldn't find it on the website,tho. Rumor,another one those rumors,has it that it was a unanimous vote. Although illegal to reveal the jury vote you know it will eventually be known if the price is right. Books deals,you know.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:46 AM
  • -- Posted by Dexterite1 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 5:10 AM

What did I say I blamed Nixon for? Name calling while hiding behind your computer monitor suits you.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:51 AM
  • "The prosecutor could not provide additional evidence, he only brought to light conflicting testimony."

Did you watch the prosecutor's entire presentation? Doesn't sound like it.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:56 AM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:39 AM

Reason: Did you enjoy seeing the split screen while our President was giving his big speech and looting and burning on the other side of the screen. Did you not see the report live on TV....the evidence was released at the same time.

If I was in charge once the looting and burning started there wouldn't had been enough buses to haul off all the criminals that would have been arrested....peaceful protest yes, violence no. Why didn't the National Guard block off Flossiant Ave. from traffic and declare the area to be off limits. These were my thoughts last night and not a Tuesday morning quarterback. Guess they will have to rename Ferguson and call it North St. Louis similar to East St. Louis. This may not be PC with our Liberal friends but it's the right thing to do, the USA is a nation of laws not law breakers.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:18 AM
  • "Because over and over he has stated the plight of the only poor minorities in America , the ones with black skin is why . There are other people in America who are bigger minorities then the blacks."

That's totally incorrect. Of course there are other minorities in America. The President of the United States happens to be of a minority, that the SO solons blame for every single ill in the nation. I defend him when necessary and criticize him at other times when appropriate.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:31 AM
  • -- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:31 AM

Common: Please consult the Democratic talking heads website and come up with another word of the day - SO "solons" is getting old. Have a good day ☺☺

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:38 AM
  • Wheels, I was trying to figure out where the National Guard was during wen the looting started. I agree with semo471 only if I was in charge those stores would have been protected with some head busting and the crowds would have been wet and cold real quick.

Obama'a remarks sounded to me like be nice wink, wink, violence is not the answer, wink, wink.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:42 AM
  • Common, the word "solon" does not make you look intelligent. I agree with semo, try some new material.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:49 AM
  • Actually, as used "solon" makes common look foolish. Speak Out Solon would indicate sage and wisdom applied against the idea of big government suppression of citizens liberty.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:56 AM
  • Old John

I agree with the head busting and hosing them down. What was happening with the looting and burning is criminal. The owners of the affected businesses had nothing to do with the decision and are going to suffer big loses.

So far as Obama..... I watched a short bit and turned him off. It was obvious that he was not pleased with the verdict either. They did not get their sacrificial lamb. I watched the verdict and believe it was the only one that could have been reached given the evidence. Took a lot of guts to deliver it with the pressure being applied.

We have reached a sad state in this country.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:04 AM
  • "Not once."

That's also not true. On several occasions I have pointed out how you conservatives are totally blind to the Latin American minority and how flushing their needs will make you the long time minority political party.

I also pointed out how the IHS provides medical service and someone came all unglued.

As for "SO solons"

Why? Just look at some of the more apt definitions...

Solon -- An Athenian lawgiver and poet. His reforms preserved a class system based on wealth but ended privilege by birth.

"Based on wealth" means "conservative" to most Americans.

"a wise and skillful lawgiver"

The SO conservative contributors are "wise and skillful about laws to a one. Just ask them.

"a man who is a respected leader in national or international affairs"

And who knows more about national and international affairs than the SO conservatives, certainly not those "morons" in Washington.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:06 AM
  • Dexter

If you are looking for someone blaming Nixon you might want to check with the mayor of Ferguson. He just called for Nixon to resign a few minutes ago.

He said what I was thinking last night regarding preparing for the worst. The worst seemed to be happening and the plan wasn't working.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:12 AM
  • And who knows more about national and international affairs than the SO conservatives, certainly not those "morons" in Washington.-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:06 AM

Common: Very true....if only the morons in Washington would listen to us.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:13 AM
  • From Wiki

Solon (/ˈsoʊlɒn, ˈsoʊlən/; Greek: Σόλων; c. 638 -- c. 558 BC) was an Athenian statesman, lawmaker, and poet. He is remembered particularly for his efforts to legislate against political, economic, and moral decline in archaic Athens.

Common, The progressive Forward policies you uphold are supportive of political, economic and moral decline. Too bad you can't see that.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:16 AM
  • I saw the STL Mayor and police chief speaking about how proud they were of the police response. Huh? Letting the rioters run loose? I guess sacrificing 15 or 20 buildings,dozens of cars,looting innocent businesses was to be proud of.

The one thing I am really puzzled about is the decision to announce the grand jury results last night. Hoodlums and rioters love the cover of darkness. Doubt there will be any more rioting during the daylight hours. Look out tonight after lil Al and Plan B gets them ginned up.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:25 AM
  • -- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:25 AM

Rock: Maybe the Rev. Al will be arrested on live TV for not paying his income tax....not in a million years will that happen to Pres. Pinky's top adviser.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:42 AM
  • I'm going to play devils advocate for a minute. As part of the months of thinking, coordinating and planning is it at all possible that Federal, State and Local LEO at the command level determined that

- unless "the mob" gets it's pound of flesh it will not stop

- lets park a few vehicles here and there and let a little looting and burning go on

- it makes national news so they can rewatch their success and brag about their accomplishment - they get their 5 minutes of fame

- the protests will die quicker since they "stuck it to the man"

Few arrests, few burnings, little looting, mostly local damage, big national coverage... mission accomplished. Riots die off in a day or so and mostly peaceful protests here on.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:46 AM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:46 AM

Dug: That means mob rule when things don't go their way in life.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:02 AM
  • Rock: Maybe the Rev. Al will be arrested on live TV for not paying his income tax....not in a million years will that happen to Pres. Pinky's top adviser.

-- Posted by semo471 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:42 AM

"Pres. Pinky's top adviser."

Semo471

You could have talked all day without reminding us of that.

Dear Lord what is happening to this country that we have elected a President who calls in a common tax cheat and a rabble rouser for advice and counseling.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:32 AM
  • That means mob rule when things don't go their way in life. -- Posted by semo471 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:02 AM

True semo. It may not be right in the short term but more effective in the long term.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:34 AM
  • -- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:24 AM

Could be the best way to handle it.... but what about the business owners who have paid taxes for government and they suffer huge loses because this government stands by and watches these people's blood, sweat and tears go up in smoke.

I have thought about what if this was happening to me and what I have worked for, how would I handle it? It is unlikely they are going to get full value returned from their insurance, if any. Some insurance does not cover this kind of situation.

Where is the justice for these people?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:38 AM
  • Has anyone seen or heard of any statements from our fearless President? Maybe the Rev. Al will have a message from the President that will settle everyone down....right.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:43 AM
  • Silly local, state law enforcement and national guard do not how to handle riots. How dare they put first responders' lives a head of property and pride. *extreme sarcasm*

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:53 AM
  • I am not batting for common, Rick. I got on this morning, and it seemed on every thread I read, you asked the same question. I was wondering why you had stuck on common, and I wondered what difference he could make.

I am frustrated with the process, and I don't see things changing. Let's just all put blinders on (that is me being facetious).

For the record, I have family near there, so I am a little 'testy'. And, I believe the prosecutor when he said stories conflicted with the evidence, including Officer Wilson's.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:54 AM
  • I do not sympathize with the lost taxes however.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:51 AM

I think I know what you are saying there, but these victims of this senseless nonsense have had a contract of sorts with this government, from the Federal down to the City they are located in to provide them protection. They are not even getting a weak effort. There is definitely a risk factor in business, but when Caesar demands taxes of his citizens, and higher taxes from the Commercial class, Caesar then owes that citizen the protection he promised for the taxes extorted. Maybe I repeat myself.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:01 AM
  • -- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:53 AM

BC: Isn't he suppose to be our leader and give wise counsel when needed....like he did when the shooting first accrued which he, Eric Holder, and the Rev. Al added fuel to the flames.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • but these victims of this senseless nonsense have had a contract of sorts with this government, from the Federal down to the City they are located in to provide them protection. They are not even getting a weak effort. -- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:01 AM

I agree 100%. These business owners deserve the best protection and didn't get it.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:26 AM
  • "I think it's safe to say those business who were burnt out will not return."

DT,

You are probably correct, but in the case of some of them, they go away with empty pockets and a mortgage at the bank guaranteed with their hat, *** and spats.

How do they handle something like this?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:32 AM
  • If as stated, most of these rioters are local, and a lot of them are very young, then if the community residents, white and black alike need to talk some sense in these minor punks before they become major punks.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:36 AM
  • Obviously you two think alike .

-- Posted by Diseased Turtle.. on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:20 AM

Really? I think for myself. Once you accused me of writing something I did not write, now you think you know how I think. Have we met???

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:42 AM
  • Bankrupcy ?

-- Posted by Diseased Turtle.. on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:33 AM

Probably, and then that record stays with you.

I am for busting some heads tonight if that crowd doesn't act like they are human.

With that I am off to meet someone.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:44 AM
  • This is a no win for the police. If they don't appear to protect the property owners they look incapable of doing their job. If they react with force, then some will see them as overly aggressive. No way for them to win.

-- Posted by left turn on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:52 AM
  • Not necessarily Rick. Some stick up for those who 'cannot' stick up for themselves. I didn't stick up for Common though, just wondered why you were so adamant (and appeared mad) to find him.

I would stick up for you, if you were not able to stick up for yourself. You need help?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:58 AM
  • "...the progressive Forward policies you uphold are supportive of political, economic and moral decline."

Hard to see what you base that conclusion on as I have always supported smaller government, lower deficits, less welfare, more jobs, and a balanced budget. On moral issues I've been in favor of allowing people to make their own minds and keep government out of them.

What part of that promotes decline?

With respect to your Solon research, "...his efforts to legislate against political, economic, and moral decline in archaic Athens," all that sounds pretty conservative.

Since the contemporary usage refers to wise and skillful individuals, expertly versed in national and international affairs, and that's pretty much how the SO conservatives see themselves, I'd suggest that SO solons is highly appropriate and fitting.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 12:13 PM
  • I liked "SO gang" much better.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 12:33 PM
  • "Posse" is appropriate.

pos·se noun \ˈpä-sē\

: a group of people who were gathered together by a sheriff in the past to help search for a criminal

: a group of people who are together for a particular purpose

: a group of friends

: a large group often with a common interest

====

Several of us have a "common interest" as a "group of people" whose "purpose" is to expose the lies and crimes of an overreaching administration and government.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 12:51 PM
  • You guys can't even pronounce it correctly.

-- Posted by left turn on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 12:56 PM
  • Lessons were learned after 9.11. It is not always in the communities best interest for first responders to rush to the rescue.

For example, if fire trucks were allowed to attend to the fires in the riot's epicenter, there is little doubt lives rather than property would have been lost.

Had the national guard and military equipment been applied, the show of force (aka militant state) would be extreme public outrage.

Like left turn said, no win situation. However, I vote for the protection of life over property every single day.

Yes, it would stink to be a Ferguson business owner. Hopefully, they had their property adequately insured. The owners did choose St. Louis suburb; elevated violence risk has always been known.

Are business owners disappointed in first responders' response? They should not be, unless law enforcement promised they would stand in front of their business, which I sincerely doubt.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 1:00 PM
  • -- Posted by improvisational on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 1:00 PM

So now the business owner is partly to blame...wow.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 1:10 PM
  • "Yes, it would stink to be a Ferguson business owner. Hopefully, they had their property adequately insured."

You might want to check a few insurance policies to find out what they say about rioting.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 1:47 PM
  • May be opportunity in starting a private security firm in Ferguson.

Sharpton was preaching on KMOX shortly ago trying his best to encourage more rioting.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 1:53 PM
  • BC, I think you get my point. If a sufficient number of local potential protesters were hired to protect the businesses, things could have turned out better.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:04 PM
  • All this BS about Michael Brown's legacy. His legacy is basically he was nabbed for a strong armed robbery and lost his life in the process.

His actions started the process. Was it worth being killed for... absolutely not. But you do not take on an officer with a gun with your bare hands and think just because you are a big boy you are invincible. I suppose everyone would have been happy if the officer had stood there and let Michael Brown beat him to death.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:06 PM
  • OJ, they should have contacted the Korean business owners from the LA riots. They could have given them a few helpful hints.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:11 PM
  • "I'd suggest that SO solons is highly appropriate and fitting."

Solon, the lawgiver, should be capitalized.

Solon is generally titled the "Father of Democracy", he was a dictator, in the classical sense, who was given extensive powers to head off the imposition of tyranny (also in the classical sense), which would undo the fledgling republican system that was in place in Greece at the time.

He failed, and tyranny did follow him. But, many of his reforms outlasted the tyranny, and democracy followed. He is credited with it, even though his reforms initially did not work.

He instituted the Seisachtheia, or "casting off of burdens", which forgave the debts of the many, bankrupted many debt-holders, and freed those who had sold themselves into slavery to settle their debts.

He was reviled in his lifetime, according to his own writings, and left the country after giving up his authority as dictator. The exile was self-imposed, as was the surrender of his authority.

To be called a "solon" is an honour.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:23 PM
  • To be called a "solon" is an honour.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:23 PM

Hmmmm! Now I suppose Common must get out his dictionary and find a new term that he thinks is condescending.

What a fluke of justice for Common, poor guy. Starts name calling and finds out he is honoring his intended victims. LOL

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:30 PM
  • Common, Thank you for the honor.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:31 PM
  • Riots are specifically included in most property and causality policies.

Businesses had/have a choice where to do business. So yes, if they are in a location that is prone to violence, that is partly on them. Owners could have hired security to protect their assets or guarded their property. Why didn't they? Why would they expect taxpayers to foot the bill for their store's security? ie Personal responsibility

Stores do not expect police to stand in their store in order to fend off shoplifters. Nor do they expect the fire truck to set in front of their store, just in case it bust into flames. ie Personal responsibility.

If an individual chooses to build a house on a water front that is below sea level and prone to hurricanes, that person will be held responsible one way or another. Higher insurance rates or higher deductibles or uninsurable. ie personal responsibility

Call it what you want... a value... a virtue... IMO... no piece of property is worth a single life.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 2:56 PM
  • "That's also not true. On several occasions I have pointed out how you conservatives are totally blind to the Latin American minority and how flushing their needs will make you the long time minority political party."

You have been predicting that minority for a long time and yet, in case you didn't notice, the Republican majority just grew even larger. More governorships, more senators, more representatives (including several Hispanics).

Republicans don't "ignore" the minority, they simply recognize that the good of the minority is the same as the good of the majority - which is to say they try not to pander. You cannot pander to one group without snubbing another. The Democrats pander to many groups but, as we have seen, it is not a winning strategy for them, as those they snub tend to go elsewhere.

Your political predictions haven't been so good. Perhaps you ought to rethink the "permanent minority" thing, you might find you've missed something - like the fact it doesn't exist.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 3:14 PM
  • "...must get out his dictionary and find a new term..."

Not in the least. The conservative group of SO solons are the wisest and most knowledgeable participants, and no one should ever doubt their keen, and 100% accurate insight into every conceivable issue.

I'm honored to be able to sing their praises.

You're welcome.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 4:01 PM
  • I'm honored to be able to sing their praises.-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 4:01 PM

No need to - the American voters already did. In record fashion - redder than ever.

Thanks Common.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 4:04 PM
  • "....predicting that minority for a long time and yet..."

Actually it has not been a "long time" and my reference to it has always been with regard to national elections.

Furthermore, I believe that in 2016 there will be at least 9 republican senators vying for re-election in "blue" states.

At that time they will not be able to count on just 1/3 of the voters showing up.

"...the good of the minority is the same as the good of the majority..."

Seems to be one of those "theories" that work well in the "think tank" but fail in the real world. For example, keeping half of the illegal immigrants (even republicans admit that it will be impossible to deport every single one) in the "shadows" at lowest wages is good for the majority but not so good for the minority.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 4:15 PM
  • "...the Republican majority just grew even larger."

Keep the "law of pendulums" in mind.

It may well be better for the pendulum to be on the democratic side in presidential years and let the republicans have it in off-years.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 4:25 PM
  • "...in the "shadows" at lowest wages is good for the majority but not so good for the minority."

Are you suggesting that the Democrats have proposed bringing them out "of the shadows"?

The Republican proposal: execute the laws that exist, would do that: requiring that those not permitted to work not be hired "in the shadows".

We know that Democrats don't like this, as the "Nannygate" scandal showed that Democrat politicians were among the "shadow employers". So it would appear that Democrats are loathe to give up their low-wage nannies by requiring strict enforcement of existing employment laws.

There is no evidence that Hispanics, at least the legal ones, prefer lax enforcement of employment law. Nor do they appear to prefer that we ignore enforcement of such things as fraud (obtaining employment using false credentials, for example) or tax avoidance (failing to withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes, for example, when hiring ineligible persons).

Supporting Mr. Obama's proposal to not deport those who have not "run afoul of the law" and have, as you claim, served in the military or been gainfully employed ignores the fact that, by being gainfully employed or serving in the military puts them afoul of the law.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 5:03 PM
  • "Keep the "law of pendulums" in mind."

Another prediction on your part. Where has the "law of pendulums" applied to congressional and senatorial elections recently. If there is any truth to it, then it seems to be time for it to swing towards a Republican president. But I make no predictions. It will depend on who is selected from each party, as well as a number of factors largely beyond their control: economic factors, international factors, social factors, and environmental factors of which I, again, will make no predictions.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 5:14 PM
  • By the way, the "law of pendulums" is a physical law having nothing to do with politics. Politics tend to defy both the law of physics and the law of common sense.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 5:16 PM
  • "...requiring that those not permitted to work not be hired..."

Do you really believe the Governor Romney dream that they will all "self deport" and the price of vegetables will be allowed to go up to $50 a pound?

Just what do you propose to do with the 11 million illegals here now? Exactly why did the bi-partisan Senate immigration reform bill fail to get voted on in the House? My guess is that is would have passed handily on a bi-partisan basis.

And there are no republican hired "nannies?"

"Where has the "law of pendulums" applied to congressional and senatorial elections recently."

My pendulum swings every two years as in the recent past. If republicans want to compete in 2016, they're going to have to beef up their voter base. Just rich white guys won't hack it.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:11 PM
  • "Politics tend to defy both the law of physics and the law of common sense."

That I have to agree with, after 2016.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:13 PM
  • "Not in the least. The conservative group of SO solons are the wisest and most knowledgeable participants, and no one should ever doubt their keen, and 100% accurate insight into every conceivable issue."

Wow. Thanks Common. You have finally got something right.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:18 PM
  • BTW I agree the use of water hoses would have been better than the tear gas last night. I guess the officials decided to use to wimpy approach the thugs wanted instead.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:27 PM
  • Common says "Just rich white guys won't hack it."

I'm reminded that McCain chose public money while Obama-out funded him five to one with rich white democrat special interest contributions.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:36 PM
  • OJ - it was a good investment for his democrat rich guys. Many got massive federal monies to blow on their so-called "green" projects. Big Obama donor and Solyndra benefactor George Kaiswer gave Obama over $87,000 to his campaign. Then Kaiser got $535 MILLION in US taxpayers money courtesy of Obama.

Shortly after that Solyndra declared bankruptcy and laid off 1,100 employees.. But Common and his democrat posse think we have a "revenue" problem with our massive debt.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:47 PM
  • "Why would they expect taxpayers to foot the bill for their store's security?"

improvisational

Because they are also taxpayers and they also pay at a higher rate than do homeowners. They have a right to be protected by law enforcement from thugs.

For your information"

Missouri Real Estate Taxes are paid on:

Commercial - 32% of Assessed Real Value

Residential - 19% of Assessed Real Value

Agricultural - 12% of an Artificial Value based on productivity as set by Legislature and which has not changed in years.

Now do you expect law enforcement to protect you and your property? If so why?

Was that understandable or should I draw you a picture.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:54 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:55 PM
  • The Pres of the National Bar Association wants federal charges.

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:03 PM
  • Wheels,the National Guard was supposed to be protecting properties. How did that work out? "P" poor response. Wonder if a stand down and watch it burn order was given?

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:19 PM
  • National Guard was not deployed to protect private properties. Nixon deployed a limited number to protect the combined (local police departments and state highway patrols) police head-quarters.

If you are going to rant and ramble, at least know the facts.

-- Posted by Otoe on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:35 PM
  • Regret, Rosie is an idiot.

The lawyers profit from what they advocate.

Dug, That went over their heads.

Wheels, You wealthy business people get all the tax breaks. :) :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:44 PM
  • OK Rosie figured it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9qiO4Y...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 6:55 PM

They need to send Rosie to Ferguson. I think some of the arsonists and looters would like to give her a hug.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • Wheels, You wealthy business people get all the tax breaks. :) :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:44 PM

Right, I forgot that for a minute.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 7:50 PM
  • I'm not interested in how Common's pendulum swings but I suspect the political weight will swing Republican in the next Mo governors race.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:15 PM
  • OJ - you nailed that. Nixon forgot who votes for him. He's disliked by everyone on both sides. I figure he's gonna take a run at Blunt as his next move. Career politicians at their best.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:21 PM
  • Dug, I was acquainted with Kinder years back. Some are calling for Nixon to resign. Would the Lt Gov take over? I'm not that informed on how that works, but I would support Kinder.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:29 PM
  • OJ - not sure how that works. I would guess yes on the Lt. Gov taking over if the Gov resigns.

I don't think Nixon would ever resign. I used to like him as a middle-of-the-road democrat - more conservative than liberal. But these past years he's lost his mind.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:53 PM
  • Wheels, I have received the bills and paid all my property taxes in three counties. I have no job, no government check nor any children in school. I can't wait for another drive for a tax increase to fund another school sports complex. :)

Ok, never mind me, I'm going to something else for while. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:18 PM
  • "Exactly why did the bi-partisan Senate immigration reform bill fail to get voted on in the House?"

Why does a bill have to be voted on? The Congress is not required to act just because the President wants them to do so. I seem to recall that Social Seccurity reform died in the Congress under Mr. Bush. The President called for it, but the Democrats mantra was "the best thing ee can do is nothing". We have laws, let them be enforced.

"Do you really believe the Governor Romney dream that they will all "self deport" and the price of vegetables will be allowed to go up to $50 a pound?"

I don't understand your question. Are you saying there is a connection between raising wages and inflation? I thought you denied the existence of such a link? Are you saying you favour sub-minimum wages for non-citizens willing to work for them? Then why not for citizens willing to work for them? Are you saying you are okay with the government "turning a blind eye" to wage, tax, and employment violations when they involve non-citizens? Your point eludes me.

"Just what do you propose to do with the 11 million illegals here now?"

I don't propose doing anything with them, except enforcing the law as it applies to them. That means deporting them if they break the law, which they do if they fraudulently obtain employment.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:38 PM
  • "That I have to agree with, after 2016."

Another prediction? I am curious as to how many times you've won the lottery, as foretelling the future seems to be your specialty.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:40 PM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:53 PM

Dug: Nixon did resign, oops wrong Nixon.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:40 PM
  • Old John,

My form of protest on my taxes is to make them out, put the postage on them and then leave for the sunny south and mail them just as far away from this area as I can get and still get them postmarked before midnight on December 31st. Never, never, never ever will I let them have the money before I absolutely have to without paying a penny extra for penalties. It is a long standing tradition with me. The balance of your statement holds true for me also, except that I have a "high paying" job with my kids. :-)

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:42 PM
  • I'm not that informed on how that works, but I would support Kinder.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 8:29 PM

Obviously you don't know him well. Looks like you fellars are forgetting a whole lot.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:44 PM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:44 PM

Reason: Looks like we don't know Gov. Nixon either. Why send in the Missouri National Guard if you don't use them to protect the property of the citizens of Ferguson which is a part of Missouri. Probably got a phone call from either Pres. Pinky or Eric Holder to stand down the Guard.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:08 PM
  • The citizens of the Show Me State can go to bed tonight without any fears because we have a Governor who cares about the welfare of his fellow Missourians at heart. Good night Rev. Al where every you're at.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:16 PM
  • Reasoning, You are correct in that I don't know him well but I have not forgot all the accusations made and supported by his opponents a while back.

Funny that dems always support any vice of a candidate as personal life and off limits unless that candidate happens to be conservative.

Meanwhile I am happy in my non-paying job as master of my house as she who must be obeyed allows.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:17 PM
  • - Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 10:17 PM

She must have forgotten about Bubba

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 6:44 AM
  • "Just what do you propose to do with the 11 million illegals here now?"

If I have leak that is flooding my basement, my primary focus will be stopping the leak. When that has been resolved I can focus on pumping out the water that is already standing.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 6:55 AM
  • When that has been resolved I can focus on pumping out the water that is already standing.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 6:55 AM

And if you built your house on a spring (a continuous supply of water, or in this case immigrants), you are wasting your time.

You must come up with another plan. Perhaps you tap in to the spring.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 8:17 AM
  • "I don't propose doing anything with them..."

One way to describe your position could be as unrealistic, idealistic conservatism. It is a fact that there are around 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, and in spite of what some of our SO solons might believe, all 11 million were not personally escorted across the border by President Obama.

It is also a fact that they make a significant contribution to the US economy. The fact that they work for lower wages keeps prices down for other Americans. Apparently we're satisfied to accept cheap products from China and cheap labor from Mexico. In many instances, they do jobs that others don't want. How many of the unemployed in Southeast Missouri would move to the California deserts and pick cucumbers, melons or broccoli?

Both republicans and democrats employ many as domestics or hotel maids or ditch diggers, and even the Chamber of Commerce recognizes the need. A difference is that democrats are seeking solutions (as in the bi-partisan Senate bill) while republicans have them care for conservative children and tell them that they're lucky they aren't being deported.

Today there is more border fence, more patroling, more surveillance, more border patrol agents and fewer crossings, while more criminals have been deported than in previous years.

Clearly the illegals can't vote, but they have children that can, they have family that can vote, and they have friends that also can and will vote. This is where the republicans are blind to the future. By taking a position of "We'll deport you if we catch you working" they are driving future voters to the democratic side. If you don't realize or accept that, I guess that's good.

This is not a matter of "forecasting the future" but a case of watching the directions political leaders are taking. We both know that the lottery is a function of random selection, while politics is a least somewhat predictable.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 8:25 AM
  • There is a video at the bottom of the story that feature Koreans at the 1965 Watts riots. Learn to protect yourself as the Koreans did. -- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:48 PM

Good video BC.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 8:29 AM
  • -- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 8:25 AM

Common, the more you post the more I am convinced..... and it is not that your position is the correct one.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 8:40 AM
  • "One way to describe your position could be as unrealistic, idealistic conservatism. It is a fact that there are around 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, and in spite of what some of our SO solons might believe, all 11 million were not personally escorted across the border by President Obama."

I've never heard anyone deny that. Why do you suppose something has to be done with them. They are apparently getting around in society somehow, and that will continue. However, with stricter enforcement of employment laws, they will eventually be caught up with and a determination will be made regarding them when it happens. In the meantime, the flow of new immigrants will be stemmed. Whether those 11 million (if we know how many there are, why don't we know where they are, BTW?) "self-deport", are deported, or continue to exist "in the shadows" has no bearing on efforts to further reduce the influx. If, however, we grant them a "path to citizenship", the move will encourage others to continue the cycle of illegal immigration.

There is nothing unrealistic nor idealistic about it. I propose enforcing the laws that exist. If that is "unrealistic", then I suggest we stop passing laws we can't enforce.

"It is also a fact that they make a significant contribution to the US economy. The fact that they work for lower wages keeps prices down for other Americans."

So, I say again, you support violating the minimum wage laws as long as it "brown-skinned people" who labour for less? You seem to have a liking for lawlessness.

"Apparently we're satisfied to accept cheap products from China and cheap labor from Mexico."

We have no control over the labour rates in China. And, yes, we accept the products they ship over here because we like a bargain.

Cheap labour from Mexico is what we are trying to deal with. You seem satisfied to allow them to come here and work for less than the law mandates, and to skirt payroll taxes, as long as it keeps the price of food down. Doesn't that make you a proponent of exploitation? As I've said, your arguments, in favour of minimum wages but also in favour of the economic benefits of having those wages skirted, strikes me as contradictory.

"Both republicans and democrats employ many as domestics or hotel maids or ditch diggers, and even the Chamber of Commerce recognizes the need."

Do away with the minimum wage and payroll taxes, then. If there is a need for labour below the "market rate", then we ought to recognize that need as valid and adjust our labour laws to permit it. You, however, favour a lawless approach to it.

"A difference is that democrats are seeking solutions (as in the bi-partisan Senate bill) while republicans have them care for conservative children and tell them that they're lucky they aren't being deported."

That's not a "solution", that is simply an effort to reward those who skirt the law to their benefit, at no cost to those who actually break the law and employ them.

"Clearly the illegals can't vote,..." That's actually not clear. They can't legally vote but, given that they flout other laws, there is little reason to believe they won't flout the voting requirements, as well. There is evidence that they do so, though the Democrats seem to ignore that lawlessness as well, given that they are beneficiaries thereof:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-foster/democrats-benefit-from-illegal-immig...

"We both know that the lottery is a function of random selection, while politics is a least somewhat predictable."

Your predicting of it thus far has not exactly been accurate.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:02 AM
  • "Your predicting of it thus far has not exactly been accurate."

I would say that getting accurate predictions from Common, aka the Bollinger County Sage(brush)is about on a par with the odds of winning the PowerBall lottery.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • I'm just trying to understand how he can, on the one hand, advocate for minimum wage laws and payroll taxes and, on the other hand, argue in favour of the economic contributions of those who skirt them.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:35 AM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:35 AM

SH

Maybe you are not on the Subscription List for talking points from the DNC. He is either getting his ridiculous information there or as I have suspected he is living on a secret toxic waste dump in Bollinger County and it has affected him.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • There is a video at the bottom of the story that feature Koreans at the 1965 Watts riots. Learn to protect yourself as the Koreans did. -- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 11:48 PM

I had to chuckle when the liberal reporters started talking about the guy on the roof with an Uzi. I'm sure the cops didn't mind since that was one place they didn't have to worry about.

If the law didn't play the hands off game it would have not escalated so bad in Ferguson.

BTW why are those people taking all that alcohol? The have to work the next day and definitely wont be an asset to the employers.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 10:57 AM
  • Regret, I too picked up on that. Sounded like the news people were more concerned of a possible gun law being broken than the prevention of looting.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • "...advocate for minimum wage laws and payroll taxes ..."

What does the minimum wage hike (increased in the 4 red states where it was on the ballot and favored by about 80% of Americans) have to do with employers illegally skirting the law by not paying minimum wage and payroll taxes.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:18 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:05 AM

Are those long guns registered?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:19 AM
  • I just wonder how they get through life and can still wear $200 sneakers Rick.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:20 AM
  • "What does the minimum wage hike (increased in the 4 red states where it was on the ballot and favored by about 80% of Americans) have to do with employers illegally skirting the law by not paying minimum wage and payroll taxes."

Everything. The hiring of illegal immigrants largely has to do with the skirting of those laws. If the work paid minimum wage and otherwise complied with business requirements, citizens would likely be doing them. This is particularly true if employers could hire them without all the hassle of paying payroll taxes, providing benefits, and other requirements imposed on employers who follow the law.

It's much easier to hire people if you just have to hand them some cash at the end of the day, but the law doesn't allow for that. Ergo, the contributions made by those employed "in the shadows" is largely due to the ability to skirt employee requirements.

Surely you're not suggesting that all those 11 million illegal immigrants are being paid minimum wage and are dutifully paying their taxes, are you?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:48 AM
  • For any that are interested in reading, a transcript of Officer Wilson's interview with St. Louis County Investigators.

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/brittany-m-hughes/policeman-brown-he-grabbed-m...

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 12:19 PM
  • Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 12:19 PM

Wheels: Doubt if any of the Ferguson protesters will look at it since they are too busy cleaning up the mess they made Monday night. If you believe that, Common has a bridge that you can buy.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 12:34 PM
  • It has been proposed by at least one conservative that raising the minimum wage (at the state level) would be a move against illegal immigration. His argument, echoed by some liberals, is that higher minimum wages would drive American citizens to do the jobs they currently leave to illegal immigrants, because it would pay enough to justify them doing the "grunt work". The lack of jobs thus created would, they argue, compel low-wage immigrants from sneaking in here, as there would be no jobs for them.

If we accept that a lack of jobs will keep illegals away, then enforcing existing employment laws, which Canada does, by the way, would achieve the same effect.

If, however, raising the minimum wage achieves that, then California ought to have fewer illegals than, say, Alabama, Arizona, or Texas, but they do not, despite their higher minimum wage. New York, likewise, is #3 in the number of illegal immigrants, despite having a minimum wage even higher than California's, and being quite some distant from the border (unless you count the Canadian border, but Canadians don't seem to be sneaking down here to work for low wage jobs).

So some liberals agree with conservatives that reducing the number of jobs available to illegal immigrants will stem the tide, but we disagree on how to do it. Liberals, as always, want new laws that raise costs on employers, while conservatives generally favour enforcing existing laws which add no cost to those already compliant with them, and only impact those that ignore them.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 12:35 PM
  • "And why do those who claim to support free markets want to raid businesses suspected of hiring illegals?"

Because it's the law. Unless and until the law is repealed, it needs to be enforced. If you "turn a blind eye" to some violations and enforce it rigidly against others, you are not ensuring that the laws are applied equally to all citizens, and thus favouring some citizens over others.

"Employers become border guards." No, they don't. They remain employers, they merely have to abide by the same law as everyone else: proving citizenship and withholding taxes, while providing such benefits as the law dictates: unemployment compensation, health care (where required by law), disability insurance, etc.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 2:29 PM
  • No problem Rick. I was a little wound too. Thanks.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 4:24 PM
  • I suspect somewhere in Obamacare or in some of the most recent hidden rules and regulations is provision for citizen workers to subsidize the wages of the newly 'documented' illegal workers.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 4:33 PM
  • What a hoot - black leaders are saying to only patronize black businesses on "black Friday"....yea, the ones that hadn't been burned down.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • BC, Good point. I recall the warning of that giant sucking sound, just never imagined it would be that way.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 5:59 PM
  • Without the welfare state, illegal immigration would not be a problem. Everyone who came here, legal or not, would pull his own weight. With a welfare state, the people become concerned over every poor person who enters it, and every wealthy person who leaves it. Thus, we see conservatives concerned about people entering uninvited and liberals concerned about people leaving untaxed.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • Hey! All you do gooders that have all the answers. Listen to this cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7MAO7McNKE

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • So the EBT card got them busted. Wow. Nothing like a kicked in the teeth by someone you support.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/alleged-plot-included-bombing-...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 9:47 PM
  • Rick,

I saw the suggestion somewhere that the National Guard should drop job applications from helicopters. That should be enough to scare off most of the demonstrator class.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Nov 30, 2014, at 1:41 PM
  • Rick & Wheels: Gov. Nixon might be hiring some temp help in cleaning up the burnt buildings in Ferguson that he failed to protect last Monday night.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Nov 30, 2014, at 9:30 PM
  • Well someone's got to start it. The killing of two cops in NY as payback for Eric Garner. And of course the assault of cops on a bridge when the protestors saw them. Then add the "What do we want? Dead cops!!!" chant.

The best of all? The mayor of NY, Holder and the "Just Us" department and rev. Al stirring up hate. The real racists in America.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Dec 21, 2014, at 12:39 PM
  • Dumb, dumber, and dumbest are the Mayor of New York City, Attorney General Holder, and Pres. Pinky.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Dec 21, 2014, at 2:22 PM

Respond to this thread