Speak Out: Squirrels and Such

Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 15, 2014, at 11:52 PM:

Squirrels and Such sounds like a good title for a new thread but I can't seem to find an appropriate subject.

Any suggestions short of my mental deficiencies?

Replies (51)

• OJ: According to Mr. Gruber the supporters of Pinkycare are all Squirrelly.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 10:28 AM
  • Yea, semo471, my neighbor up the street who finally got coverage through Obamacare and was repeatedly denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition (breast cancer)..........yea, she is a real squirrel !!!

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 10:54 AM
  • That's why we try to help people because life is not fair. Sorry about your buddy. No, I don't know how many are in the same shoes, but one is too many. No, I don't know all their personal business. No one told me life was not fair. I figured that out by myself by watching greedy people. Never been on medicaid so, I don't know what it does or does not pay and hope I don't have to find out.And who is Sashquat and why should I care what he/she cares one way or the other.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 11:17 AM
  • BC, Possums are more noble than squirrels, don't know of a beloved country music star likened to an old squirrel.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 11:33 AM
  • Was advised by a wise elder to never mess with a squirrel having a broken tail - don't know what will happen next.

Grandpa used to call 'em rats with bushy tails.

Was watching the city leaf truck go at it yesterday. Son! Flat Hoover'ed up the fallen debris in short order. Then, got to wondering what a dedicated rig like that cost to purchase and to operate, including the two operators required to run it. Eh, well - probably still an improvement over all the smoke and resulting ash piles in the streets from a previous leaf disposal method. I'll stick with the mulching mower to chew 'em up - easier than a rake, probably consumes less fuel overall than it takes for the super-Hoover to grab 'em, and a bonus slice of environmentally-friendlier credit to boot!

A former GLP (Government, Law, and Politics) teacher once shared that the law doesn't have to be fair, but it should be applied equally to everybody. It seems that things are equal only when the perception is that one is getting a better deal than others.

If 1,000 megawatts equals 1 gigawatt, then how many megabytes are in 1 gigabyte? 1,024. D'Oh! I hate it when that happens.

Wonder what falling gas prices are going to do to the fuel efficiency and emissions mandates? Manufacturers can offer compliant choices, but not much good if people aren't buying 'em. Recall reading that Ford was offering a free upgrade to the 351 over the standard 302 in trucks due to the 351's better emissions rates, in order to meet the required corporate averages that year (~1989 or so).

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 12:04 PM
  • Jarbo and I noticed there were no squirrels on the ground this morning. All nested up I guess. May be a sign of impending weather?

-- Posted by rocknroll on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 12:25 PM
  • Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 10:54 AM.

Left: Glad your neighbor now is covered, my question to her would be why didn't you have insurance to begin with.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 12:28 PM
  • She had coverage before and then they cancelled her after 16 weeks of treatment. They can't do that now.

BTW, she was cancelled before Obamacare became law.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 1:05 PM
  • Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 1:05 PM

Left: It sounds like she should have gotten a better insurance plan to begin with - like President Pinky says you need to shop around to get the best deal you can.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 2:20 PM
  • semo471, it sounds like you need to re-read the facts pertaining to her insurance coverage and quit with the BS. If you can't understand plain language.......well.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 5:31 PM
  • -- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 5:31 PM

Left: There is probably more to her claim then you or her are letting on. However, glad she is now covered and recovers completely.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 6:03 PM
  • Left: It sounds like she should have gotten a better insurance plan to begin with - like President Pinky says you need to shop around to get the best deal you can.

-- Posted by semo471 on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 2:20 PM

You an insurance salesman, semo? Sure sounds like it.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:33 PM
  • Rick, If your into genealogy, the Mormons are your friends.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • -- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • Dug, Funny how big news fades fast. Most have already forgotten the qualities shared by Cosby and Clinton.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 8:10 PM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:33 PM

Reason: No salesman here, just telling it like it is. BTW, Pres. Pinky doesn't know jack about insurance either.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 9:07 PM
  • With today's snow and cold temps, I would say that Mother Nature must be suffering from PMS.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 8:45 AM
  • What about the other 7?

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 2:24 PM
  • With all those animals remember. The heavier the truck the more tender.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 5:09 PM
  • I guess this should filed under "such". Anyone else have moments like this guy?

http://youtu.be/Ek0ejzDkzcY

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 5:18 PM
  • Fresh ground deer loin chili a simmerin. Friend shot,dressed and ground it Sunday. Never saw the freezer. Can't wait for his jerky. Added some Perry County pork for a bit of tasty fat.

Did ja know that all wild game used to be called "venison"?

-- Posted by rocknroll on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 5:54 PM
  • Mary Landrieu should be kicked out of the Senate forr selling her vote on Obamacare allowing it to pass. Remember the "Louisiana Purchase"!!!

I would say from all indications that she is toast.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 6:30 PM
  • Seems the democrats are relying on that stupid voter thing pretty heavy.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 9:47 PM
  • "Louisiana Purchase", wasn't that the product of Thomas Jefferson? I'm sure you were there Wheels, can you enlighten us on the details?

-- Posted by left turn on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 9:50 PM
  • Careful Lefty, I do Genealogy and study the early years of Missouri after the Louisiana Purchase and might just know a couple of thinks that might surprise you.

But the "Louisiana Purchase" I speak of here was the shameful buying of Mary Landrieu's vote by Obama and those pushing the Obamacare debacle. And no doubt good ole Deep Throat who is spilling his guts to feed his ego had a hand in it as well. You should be proud of your Democrats and their actions. Sarcasm intended.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 9:59 PM
  • Lefty Mary Landrieu's defeat will mean two more votes in the Senate for the Repubicans.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 10:02 PM
  • Lefty,

I know this question is kind of personal, but I am just a little curious.... do you have ADD?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 10:11 PM
  • Wheels, The squirrel you refer to doesn't exist. Nancy, the president and the whole administration have made it clear they never heard of him until he got bored with his millions of tax payer money and wanted some attention.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 10:38 PM
  • Yeah Old John, I know. Obama, Nancy and all of the grunts trying to hide any reference to the Deep Throat, remind me of my oldest daughter when she was just old enough to talk.... she is now in her 50's. But the daughter used to think at that age, if she closed her eyes, I couldn't see her. That appears to be the mentality of the morons in Washington, their developement stage when caught on anything reverts to that of about a 2 year old (or less) child.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 11:11 PM
  • Wheels, They will continue to support the agenda and the republicans will try to look nice giving up conservatism for votes.

Just look at who the libs want to run next. another Bush against another Clinton.

Sometimes I think BC is on to something as in not wasting the time and gasoline to vote.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 11:45 PM
  • Yessir!

I did see the Wisonsin Governor on TV tonight. Now there my be someone the Republicans could run that would make some sense. Walker I believe his name is. Common will give us a report in the morning to tell us what is wrong with him.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 11:50 PM
  • -- Posted by *Dissident on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:27 AM

Dissident: Maybe his recommended Attorney General will help him on this matter.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 1:10 PM
  • Rick, NSA is over 60 years old.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 1:57 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick's on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 4:58 PM

Rick: Pres. Pinky is circling the wagons.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 5:15 PM
  • The dinner is a cover for a talking points workshop. We all have to be in sync that the republicans have forced this move.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 5:30 PM
  • I like squirrels. Wish I could say the same for politicians. Squirrels at least have nuts.

-- Posted by Wilbur Right on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 5:34 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick's on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 4:58 PM

Rick: It's going to be a big gamble for Pres. Pinky and his executive order on immigration - that's why he is going to sign it in Las Vegas.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 5:43 PM
  • The new republican mantra;

IF YOU CAN'T BEATEM' IMPEACH 'EM.

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 6:06 PM
  • I give up Rick, who is it?

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 6:13 PM
  • Thanks a bunch rick!! Jarbo was looking over my shoulder when those squirrel pix appeared. Little late for a walk in the park. Had to calm him down with a biskit.

Seafood dog. See food and eat it.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 6:58 PM
  • BC, How far do we go in encouraging free trade before we are compelled to protect free trade?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 7:09 PM
  • Gee, I just looked at Rick's squirrel pictures and I think I saw some office holders and maybe some of my kin folk.

Us Old John folk are known for gathering it up and puttin it away for later and a couple over the years been known to be a bit unpredictable.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 8:48 PM
  • BC, Regulation, taxes, piracy, blockades?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 8:29 AM
  • You can tell a squirrel is lying when his ears look a little bigger than usual and he says his family has been in this woods for generations.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 8:57 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 8:57 PM

OJ: Old John the squirrel whisperer ☺☺

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 8:02 AM
  • Anyone else ever hear a squirrel say this?

"Millions of us, myself included, go back generations in this country, with ancestors who put in the painstaking work to become citizens."

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 10:59 AM
  • Perhaps it's Murphy's Law. Whether I buy the cheapest $1.98 wiper blades or the best of the best $12.98 lifetime,great in snow,etc it's always the drivers side that starts streaking and making that annoying blubbering sound whether it's a slight drizzle or a downpour. Needless to say I'm replacing those $12.98's with some more $1.98's tomorrow. The $12.98's lasted 3 months.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Fri, Nov 28, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • Rock, My mail man figured it out, drives from the right side. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 28, 2014, at 9:34 PM
  • -- Posted by rocknroll on Fri, Nov 28, 2014, at 9:11 PM

Rock: The bug hitting the windshield and bird deposits will also be on the drivers side.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sat, Nov 29, 2014, at 9:27 AM
  • About once a month or so, I take a paper towel saturated in vinegar and clean the blades. Pretty fair amount of crud comes off each time, and the wipers seem to do a bit better afterward.

When I used to be more ambitious and apply Rain-X regularly - the blades had to be cleaned more frequently, else they'd smear badly ...

On older vehicles having symmetric blades, used to flip them over when they started st-st-stuttering - quieted things down for a while. Can't do this on the Impy - the mounting is off-center.

Why is it that a big, greasy bug flying directly in the line-of-sight will always be the first casualty after the windshield is cleaned?

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sat, Nov 29, 2014, at 5:49 PM
  • fxpwt, Chevy had a technical service bulletin in the late '70s advising 600 grit sandpaper to refresh wiper blades instead of giving into customer requests for new blades at 11,999 miles. Buick and Cadillac on the other hand encouraged dealers to replace them under warranty.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 29, 2014, at 10:15 PM

Respond to this thread