Speak Out: Money and Dreams

Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 5:27 PM:

I got this from a friend in an Email a good while back.

"Something I find about life, the older you get the closer you come to having as much money as you need to buy everything you want. Think about it... are all of those things we did in our 20's thru our 40's and maybe beyond, that big of a kick in these days. When I was young and let my imagination run away with me, I don't think they printed enough money to buy it all."

I'm curious if others can relate to this or have any thoughts regarding.

Replies (31)

• Yeah, like the air plane I wanted to buy and learn how to fly. ;-)

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 10:34 PM
  • Materialism, like alcoholism does not discriminate.

-- Posted by good.for.the.gander.good.for.the.goose on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 5:17 AM
  • "Materialism, like alcoholism does not discriminate."

Much like phobias, envy and many other things I suppose.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 9:29 AM
  • Example: I just got an upgraded smart phone....found out that it is smarter than me.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 9:58 AM
  • Semo471

I have had a Samsung Note for a while. Managed to turn on voice notifications accidentally and cannot get it turned off. 3 am.... You have 3 new e-mails!!! Yikes.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 10:21 AM
  • Kinda sorta reminds me of something my aunt (actually, grandfather's sister) once shared - how her and my uncle saved and saved through their working years with the intent of 'travelling the world' when they retired.

The problem came about that when they retired, they didn't feel like going anywhere.

Made the point that while it is important to save for tomorrow, not to overlook enjoying today...

On a lighter note, I think I've come across the title of a country hit - "Honey, if my nose were running money, I'd love to blow it all on you".

:-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 11:43 AM
  • My serious take on this is formed from something I heard as a young man. That was that young families growing up are the ones that should have the higher incomes with it reducing as they grow older.

Not that it will ever happen that way but, when you marry and start a family you can find yourself really bogged down in paying your bills and there is precious little money left to enjoy with your children. There is clothing to buy as they grow like weeds, food to feed them with, braces, shots, doctor bills, education and on and on. You would like to furnish your family with a nice home, decent transportation, treats once in a while and the list increases. Once they grow up and leave home, you start catching your breath a little, so to speak, and a little money can be accumulated, houses and cars become paid for and you can give your grandchildren some of the things you could not afford for your own children. You can afford more, but your desires seem to reduce and you can really afford most of what you want. Not in all cases.

It was suggested I think, that wanting things is materialistic and akin to alcoholism. To me, it is not being materialistic to want to provide a good life for your family, get them some of the things you never had growing up. It can go overboard I agree.

I sometimes have regrets about things that I was unable to do or provide for my family, but I did what I could without leaving them an unmanageable debt in the case of my demise.

Anyway, that probably makes little sense to anyone but me, but that is where I come from on that idea.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 2:16 PM
  • Wheels, your 2:16 PM post is the most sensible thing you have said.........ever, IMO

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 6:35 PM
  • Holy crap wheels, I think lefty just gave you compliment. Good job lefty.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 6:45 PM
  • Thank you Lefty.... now I think I better go lay down for a bit.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 7:23 PM
  • -- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ÁÙ on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 2:16 PM

Wheels: That's just about the way girlfriend and I raised our kids and lived our lives....now it's party, party time.☺

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 7:31 PM
  • Wheels, You wrote: "My serious take on this is formed from something I heard as a young man. That was that young families growing up are the ones that should have the higher incomes with it reducing as they grow older."

As a young man I wasn't exposed to that idea. However, before I was married I was passed over for a promotion because my employer must have felt that way in promoting a married man.

I think it is natural for all parents to wish better for their children and mine survived the great depression rearing a large family. They weren't able to leave a lot of wealth divided among us but we all left the nest better than we came in.

In a growing economy it is only natural too that the the younger family should have better incomes as a product of the work ethic demonstrated and passed down.

I do not know all the dreams of my father as he died at a relatively young age. I do know we torn down two big barns for lumber for his dream of a nice shop that never happened.

I was able to build one shop which incorporated the I-beam he collected for the rolling chain hoist of his design and later was able to hire a better shop built.

I still have my dreams, that light weight flying machine that is now only a dream and that new business venture that is still quite possible.

Wheels, I think Lefty's response was a knee jerk reaction rooted in take from the established older successful generation and give it over to the part of our younger generation that have joined the takers in society. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 10:17 PM
  • I wish the "young" would not have to subsidize the "old."

Medicare.

Social Security.

The "senior citizen discount" at the fast food places, and just about everywhere else.

Speaking of the latter, I'm not quite (honest, I'm not) old enough for the senior discount, but to a 17 year old, with white hair in the front, they sometimes think I am. To them, 50 something equals 60 something. I go in for a coffee, and sometimes (if I'm cranky) I say, "And don't you DARE give me the senior citizen discount."

The reason isn't vanity, it's because I believe it's manifestly unfair. Usually the teenager smiles, like, "Oh, this person is sensitive about their age." If I think the young person is receptive to the message, I say, "I think everyone should pay the same, don't you? Doesn't that seem more fair?" Those 17 year olds will get a negative rate of return on SS, and their contributions are going to subsidize their elders. That's not right.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 12:48 AM
  • I think the original idea of Sr discounts from eateries was based on smaller portions.

To look at widely based Sr discounts in reverse it to me resembles charging those that make more money a higher price, a staple of progressive politics. That resemblance can be reconfigured seeing the right of merchants to offer their goods as they see best serves their profit motive.

Anyway a moot point as Sr discounts are not required by law that I know of.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 9:55 AM
  • Anyway a moot point as Sr discounts are not required by law that I know of.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 9:55 AM

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many seniors decline the discount? Probably many take it, as they have the same entitlement mindset that so many have been inculcated with.

Good gosh, people, stop and think! If you are clawing more back from Medicare or SS than you paid in, who is making up the difference? It's that poor 17 year old, or even 35 year old...those people have ZERO chance of seeing a "positive rate of return" (that is, the original investment plus some interest/earnings) on their paycheck with holdings. That is absolutely criminal.

Sure, as the original topic suggested, there is a way to make do with less, enjoy the simple pleasures of life...but that should be a choice left up to each person. People should be able to save from the fruits of their own labor for a rainy day, and not have some know-it-all looting "economist" in the government ivory tower assuming responsibility for their pension.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:01 PM
  • Givemeliberty said--"they have the same entitlement mindset"

Who are you to tell a private enterprise owner who he or she offers discounts to?

You are the one who seems to feel "entitled" to something that is not yours.

Givemeliberty also said--""Good gosh, people, stop and think!"

If one is not forced by law to save via Social Security and Medicare taxes, when they reach retirement, the majority would have nothing to live on, nor would they have health coverage. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:18 PM
  • Saving and paying are two different things.

I know a lot of people that have saved beyond what they paid in to government enough to retire comfortably and leave some for children.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:31 PM
  • If one is not forced by law to save via Social Security and Medicare taxes, when they reach retirement, the majority would have nothing to live on, nor would they have health coverage. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. -- Posted by mysterious on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:18 PM

Do you have a link to that fact? I believe that SS and Medicare decrease savings and personal responsibility by offering that option. Did no one retire or have health care before SS and medicare? Or did they all just starve in 3-4 days after "retiring"?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:08 PM
  • Dug, I agree that entitlements decrease personal drive and ambition in some people.

I always come back to the root of our problems of 'general welfare', [as liberals define it] being wage and price controls. Whether due to direct mandate or through regulations, when someone else is paying the bills and the individual has no concern of cost, the price of services will go up.

Look at the price decreases of so many medical services that aren't normally covered by employee heath plans. Wasn't that long a go Lazik eye surgery was a luxury due to cost.

IMO there should be a large industry of pre-owned durable medical equipment but when Medicare will buy Granny a new wheel chair or walker, who's going to be in the market for a used one.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 7:02 PM
  • "When the bitcoin becomes the world's only currency it's gonna get ugly...real ugly ."

Not going to happen, because Bitcoin is already a has been.

-- Posted by notrump on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 7:03 PM
  • "but when Medicare will buy Granny a new wheel chair or walker, who's going to be in the market for a used one."

Medicare will not buy Granny a new wheel chair or walker, unless a doctor writes a prescription.

There are places that appreciate donations. Think outside the rhetoric.

-- Posted by notrump on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 7:06 PM
  • -- Posted by Givemeliberty on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:01 PM

Giveme: After working over 40 years, the money paid out by me and my employers for the Social Security taxes during that period of time will last (at my current monthly check) till I'm 82 years old. I know you didn't refer to me directly but the same would probably apply to the others on this forum who may be drawing S.S. checks.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 7:57 PM
  • Alibaba, As I said, who will buy the used one. You do know where a lot of those donated ones go?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • I only scanned this link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/08/16/a-medicare-scam-that-just-k...

How much would Regret's avatar cost if government didn't pay for them so freely?

How many times have elderly people been admitted to a nursing home and had Doctor approved orders for durable medical equipment based on admission evaluations done by the nursing home personal..IV's, concentrators, nebulisers, feeding tubes and whatever only to sit in the hallway and then moved into the room the next day, never used and returned after the first month's stay?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 8:33 PM
  • Rick, If I had $73,000 and had a desire to live greater than my desire to leave that money to someone I love, it would not be a question.

The reason it costs that much is that someone is willing or mandated to pay that much.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 9:51 PM
  • I never said the fast food business doesn't have a right to charge different customers different amounts. Though, if you think about it, what if they decided to charge a racial minority, or one gender, more than another population? No one would let that go.

Neither should anyone be forced to patronize them. Usually I do not, unless driving and in need of a cup of coffee. Maybe there are discussions starting in their boardrooms, about what demographics might be drifting away.

But government has all the force and coercion of law on its side. The young family trying to make ends meet has no choice but to let the nanny state demand their pension (SS) set-aside, and their old age medical care (Medicare) premium, and it's just a corrupt pyramid scheme. The young will never see a positive rate of return from those SS dollars. Never. But government knows best, doesn't it? People can't be trusted to save some money in a money market, another investment vehicle, tangible commodities, etc. Nope, govement knows best. Ever and always.

I pray that we may see incremental privatization soon, for the sake of my children's generation and those coming after.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 11:46 PM
  • Rick, I had a $40,000 medical bill that the insurance company authorized and then refused to pay. The hospital, surgeon and gas man all explained they would settle for half and all but admitted they routinely overcharged enough to cover such events.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:36 PM
  • One thing I learned is when you buy another toy it is just something else to maintain. Give the children and grandchildren an education. It is the best thing you can do for them.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:17 PM
  • Regret, Surely not the bike or the boat? Or was there an RV in there somewhere?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:20 PM
  • "One thing I learned is when you buy another toy it is just something else to maintain."

Regret, My mom would love you to share your wisdom with my dad.

"...Give the children and grandchildren an education. It is the best thing you can do for them". -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:17 PM

Well said.

-- Posted by good.for.the.gander.good.for.the.goose on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 3:28 AM
  • Give the children and grandchildren an education. It is the best thing you can do for them.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:17 PM

Agree!

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 5:42 AM

Respond to this thread