Speak Out: Minimum Wage by Thomas Sowell

Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 5:47 AM:

Back in 1975,,$1.00 would buy 5 hamburgers, 2 sodas and french fries,,,no we don't need a minimum raise, my fiance worked in a clothing store in the 70's in Cape for $1.00 an hour while attending college.

Replies (6)

• "Back in 1975,,$1.00 would buy 5 hamburgers, 2 sodas and french fries,..."

In Pakistan, maybe. McDonald's advertised in those days that you could get a burger, fries, and a soda, and get change back from your dollar. The change was typically a nickel, but varied depending on the tax rate. I believe those ads first aired in the late 1960s.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 6:54 AM
  • Shapley, maybe dexterite was talking about White Castle...:)

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 7:15 AM
  • The first McDonald's burgers I bought were 15 cents.

Minimum wage is in some cases favored by large corporations knowing that smaller competitors will be unable to absorb the labor cost increases. The large companies can raise retail prices gradually and afford mechanization to offset higher labor costs and rearrange product offerings, etc.

Crony capitalism, a product of the progressive movement backed by the neo-conservatives finds a good friend in minimum wage proponents.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 9:09 AM
  • "Shapley, maybe dexterite was talking about White Castle...:)"

Apparently. White Castles cost $.12 back in 1975, from what I can find, so it would be possible to have 5 of them, two sodas, and fries for a dollar.

A Big Mac was $.65 in 1975.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 9:20 AM
  • Minimum Wage is designed for entry level young workers not for a life time wage like some think it should be. Minimum Wage goes up so does all of the consumer goods as well it effects every one. These people protesting for $15.00 per hour don't have a clue they are the same bunch that believes money grows on trees and don't have any idea what it takes to make a payroll or run a business. Without Business there will be no labor so those people better wake up and see reality for once in their lives.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 10:00 AM
  • -- Posted by ✳Rick on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 9:35 AM

Rick, people who make minimum wage pay very little taxes, if any at all. That will remain the same if they raise the minimum wage...It's all relevant.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 10:06 AM

Respond to this thread