Speak Out: Let's clean up the forums, please

Posted by BobMiller on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 10:10 AM:

We're disappointed.

We created this forum, and comment sections in general, for readers to share their opinions about local and current events and politics.

The forums and comment sections have become a bratty, fuss-pool of cranky pots. Many of you are behaving like playground children, bullying and tattling, and then complaining about the bullying and tattling.

The reports that come across our in-boxes are simply ridiculous.

We have banned a handful of users recently for foul language. Yes, we have filters, but the use of asterisks in place of what everybody knows is an expletive may as well be the same thing. We're not going to tolerate f-bombs in our forums, even if the words are abbreviated. Say it with me now: "Stop. The. Profanity." If profanity is brought to our attention, we will bring out the ban hammer.

Let's also take a look at personal attacks. Everybody needs to back off a bit. Let's stop attacking the other posters and debate the issues. But let's also stop taking every single thing so personally. Please remember, you are posting under anonymous user names. Can someone really attack you personally if he/she doesn't even know your real name?

Those of you who spend a lot of time on our forums and attack one another are driving away people who may want to get on and weigh in.

The bickering and the name-calling and the use of profanity needs to stop if this forum is to continue. Is it really asking too much to be civil? Is it too much to pretend you're conversing with a friend with whom you may disagree?

So how about taking our anonymous selves a little less seriously, eh?

Thanks so much.

Using my real name,

Bob Miller

editor

Replies (82)

• Thank you, Bob.

-- Posted by ssnkemp on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 10:23 AM
  • Food For Thought.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 10:42 AM
  • Thanks for the reminder, and I too, hope the forum stays.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 12:24 PM
  • Deal

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 12:37 PM
  • Bob, no one spelt out any curse words. I agree food for thought. However, same token, Ive seen the paper at S.E. Missourian start a first letter of a curse word, then star out the rest of the letters quoted within paragraphs before per the interviewed persons stated remarks, right? So, there is not any difference when a poster does it, same. I mean, we can.all look at a quoted letter, and imagine what the rest of the word meant to say, right? Whether its a quoted Xed out, star d, out word, on.a printed quote in the paper, or on the posts they are the same. Either, were all on the same page, with the same rules or are we not? Just wondering what the difference is. Let me know, please. I think you should give people a break, and let them return if not to be taken so seriousely, Thank you.

-- Posted by FreeToSpeak on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 12:43 PM
  • Fairly certain with the right info one could pinpoint the exact day one,just one,name changer reappeared and the forums began to deteriorate.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 1:24 PM
  • Unfortunately rock, we would disagree on who the name changer "problem" is. I disagree with most it seems, and I do enjoy a chance to debate my view. I do not believe the anonymity should be breeched, and also am wary of those who threaten others. Again, that is subjectively in the ear of the beholder.

I would hope that civilized people could disagree without profanity and personal insults. I know I have "jabbed" a couple of times, witty innocence of course, but maybe the others did not feel the same.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 2:06 PM
  • Rock

You're right about that.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 2:08 PM
  • I agree with many here. I was blown away when I first started on the SO forum years ago. I began posting facts and some research and my favorite fan began insulting and name calling. You know him. I thought how absurd.

Then I began to give it back. It seems to be the best medicine for them. Sure made him nuts! But it does get uncivil. And I do respect the papers right to do what they want. Even wheels admitted he shouldn't have done that. But I don't think cutting and pasting a direct quote from the Vice President of the US is "profanity" on anyone except the VP.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 3:06 PM
  • Mr. Miller, since you have made it now clear that no posts should have any asterisks in place of profanity would you reinstate those banned yesterday for this usage which wasn't previously understood by us regular posters?

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • Whoa,rick! Kinda getting like the IRS,eh? Wonder if there's a secret email from Barry? I'll have The House get on this.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 5:54 PM
  • As you see, some will not change their posting behaviors ... no matter who points out exactly where the line is.

Some of you obviously did not read or do not care about the clearly presented cause and effect. "The bickering and the name-calling and the use of profanity needs to stop if this forum is to continue."

-- Posted by notrump on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 8:05 PM
  • Discourses - please provide evidence of profanity here. Or name calling.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • Do we have a deal ?

-- Posted by Rick« on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 5:33 PM

Deal! I am not sure what transpired yesterday, but am curious as to who was chopped!

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 9:20 PM
  • -- Posted by Discourses on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 8:05 PM

Discourses: A hit and run commenter, what profanity are you talking about.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 9:22 PM
  • Well said Mr. Miller!

-- Posted by survivalist on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 4:52 AM
  • I was beginning to wonder if the "moderator" was a fictional character. Hope things improve, I was about ready to stop checking in.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 9:42 AM
  • I may be wrong but it seems to me there is no assigned moderator. From past experiences and Mr Millers comments it appears that until someone makes a complaint nothing/no one is censored or banished. I know there are a few curse words that are automatically erased probably by a program.

Interesting to note that a few of the most caustic posters haven't commented here.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 10:54 AM
  • Bob, Why don't you do like the Post Dispatch and have people use a Facebook log on. Stop the anonymous stuff. Also, what is the point of a ban if you can just re sign up as a different user ?

-- Posted by Therealworld on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 11:00 AM
  • -- Posted by 3forone on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 11:00 AM

Because it forces everyone on to Facebook which is only good for Facebook. And they track everything you do, say and sell it to companies as part of your "profile".

The NSA is collecting enough. I don't need commercial companies tracking where and I go and what I do.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 11:58 AM
  • Now Dug, you know it's all for the greater good...:-)

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 1:03 PM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 11:58 AM

Dug: Agree, Facebook gives info to the NSA if requested to do so.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 5:28 PM
  • Yep. They collect a lot more information than a person realizes. Your google searches, Facebook, NSA, cell phone tracking.

Funny about this thread - since it was requested to "clean up" the forum it appears the forum has been "cleaned out".

This SO forum is 10 times cleaner than many that censor absolutely nothing. I don't like the name calling and personal stuff but if I'm going to get it eventually I'm going to give it back - plus some. It's actually an entertaining place to be.

I believe the whining will kill this forum more than anything. People are, for the most part, respectable. Not all the time.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 5:35 PM
  • "... I'm going to give it back ... I believe the whining will kill this forum more than anything. People are, for the most part, respectable."

B.I.N.G.O. The above comment is what is wrong with this forum. Absolutely NO RESPECT for this forum owner's user agreement guidelines. Several need to learn, you are not free to post what you please, just because you please.

Stop blaming everyone else, stop whining about the consequences of your choices and take responsibility for what you behavior.

Some would benefit from a sticky note on their monitor "How can I make the world a better place today?"

-- Posted by notrump on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 6:54 PM
  • -- Posted by Discourses on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 6:54 PM

Discourses: I would suggest that if you don't like the methods of most of the posters on here, then stay off of it. Some posters word their words just to tick somebody off so that may be why this comment was made - "... I'm going to give it back ... I believe the whining will kill this forum more than anything. People are, for the most part, respectable."-- Posted by Dug on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 5:35 PM

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 7:37 PM
  • Thank you, Mr. Miller. It needed to be said.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 8:16 PM
  • And I do respect the papers right to do what they want. -- Posted by Dug on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 3:06 PM

The above comment is what is wrong with this forum. Absolutely NO RESPECT for this forum owner's user agreement guidelines. -- Posted by Discourses on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 6:54 PM

B.I.N.G.O. - there is what is wrong with this forum. A bitter person who refuses to read the comments that others make and then manufactures statements about another person.

Grab a mirror Discourses.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, May 16, 2014, at 9:27 PM
  • "Thank you, Mr. Miller. It needed to be said."

Ditto

-- Posted by persnickety on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 6:11 AM
  • Thank you Mr Miller, I have done this in the past but will change,,,,see there I can be nice.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 6:29 AM
  • Says the guy who prints Mike Jenson's column every week.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 7:39 AM
  • Will give it my best shot to play nice.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:10 AM
  • Welcome back Wheels.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:17 AM
  • Good Mornin Swamp,

The sun is shining, God is in heaven and I am still looking at the green side of the turf.

Thank you.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:21 AM
  • Now, let's lay all of this that has happen this week to the side. This weekend starting today is the Air Show at Cape Municipal Airport. Bruce Loy Airport Manager does an outstanding job every year in bringing in some of the top aviation performers in the business. This year after some hard work he was able to book the Canadian Snow Birds and what a show they will put on so if you get a chance venture on down to the Airport and witness the greatest show in the sky's.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:22 AM
  • Good Mornin Rick,

Giving it my best shot!

Thanks.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:22 AM
  • -- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:22 AM

Agree.

Have a great time at the air show, I have other commitments or I would consider a run down. I enjoy a good air show. Been fortunate to have been able to watch the Blue Angels practice a few times at Pensacola. Made a trip over there one morning and the fog did not lift as much as they liked. They sent a plane up to check it out and when he came back in all you could hear was the roar getting closer and suddenly there he was. He made a pass up the runway about 4 feet off the ground and then circled around and landed. That in itself was spectacular, but the practice was called off.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:31 AM
  • How was double secret probation,wheels? We're all gonna hold hands and skip around now.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 9:58 AM
  • Rock,

Kinda peaceful actually.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 10:02 AM
  • Welcome back Wheels.

Swamp, will be watching a little bit of the "Snow Birds" but not at the airport.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 12:46 PM
  • -- Posted by semo471 on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 12:46 PM

Good Afternoon Semo471.

Out of the shadows.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 12:52 PM
  • 3for1, I believe if you have ever posted on this site, you cannot have 2 identities,,,not allowed.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 6:45 AM
  • 3for1, I believe if you have ever posted on this site, you cannot have 2 identities,,,not allowed.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 6:45 AM

One username per email address. As several have recently proved, one can get right back on the sight with a new email and new username. Unlimited free email addresses which means anyone can have several usernames aka "sock puppets".

After recent bannings, I would think calling another username a "sock puppet" should come to a halt--given those accuse others each have been banned thus are "sock puppets" themselves.

3for1, Using real identity is not safe, too many do not know where the line is.

-- Posted by survivalist on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 1:55 PM
  • -- Posted by re.tired on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 1:55 PM

re.tired: They are not sock puppets because the ones that were banned identified themselves with the new names. Sock puppets sit behind the computer with a hoodie on to conceal their many identities.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 5:07 PM
  • This is an anonymous posting forum, no one 'really' knows anyone. By sem471o's definition every username is a sock puppet.

Glad they are cleaning this place up. It has been swirling the toilet bowl for some time. Let's hope Mr. Miller's 'intervention' talk helps.

-- Posted by Otoe on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 5:43 PM
  • I vote for getting rid of those who are banned more than once, permanently. That would force taking responsibility for a posters' posting choices and solve all the forum problems.

-- Posted by Otoe on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 4:20 PM
  • "After recent bannings, I would think calling another username a "sock puppet" should come to a halt--given those accuse others each have been banned thus are "sock puppets" themselves."

A "sock puppet" is a user name employed by someone who already has an active identity. It is not the same as a name-change nor a reincarnation of a banned or otherwise departed poster under a new identity.

In another forum I used to frequent, there was a poster who had multiple "sock puppets" (no, it was not me). He used to post long-running arguments with himself just to keep the forum lively. I was amazed, when he finally "fessed up" to the multiple identities, that he was able to keep up the charade for so long, as he seemed to assume completely different personas under each name, and left no clues that they were one and the same. Only when he sent he personal messages did it become apparent.

I have suggested (jokingly) that Dug/Spaniard are doing the same thing.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 4:30 PM
  • Well said, Mr. Miller. There are actually interesting, intelligent posters here from all sides of the political spectrum. Hard to wade through the jibber-jabber of personal attacks to find the actual discourse at times though.

-- Posted by Cogito on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 4:37 PM
  • Too bad there isn't an "ignore" option on SO. I've seen that on other sites. You can opt out of seeing any particular posters comments. Lacking that option here I've chosen to ignore at least one. Back to her old tricks,if you can call it that. Nuff said. It is difficult not fall for some of her BS but I'm enjoying it.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 5:19 PM
  • -- Posted by Epictetus on Sun, May 18, 2014, at 5:43 PM

Epictetus: Careful your wording I've seen from another poster, seems like you might be a sock puppet yourself.

-- Posted by Epictetus on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 4:20 PM

Epictetus: Maybe it wasn't quite all of their fault to get banned, some had help. Any way the editor has the final say so.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 7:46 PM
  • There are used to be several interesting posters who have been discouraged from posting by those who reside in speakout 24/7/365.

-- Posted by persnickety on Tue, May 20, 2014, at 4:00 AM
  • Has this part of the post sunk in with any of you. It appears the Missourian is getting more than a little tired of the "Tattle Tails as well.

"Many of you are behaving like playground children, bullying and tattling, and then complaining about the bullying and tattling."

Just saying.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Thu, May 22, 2014, at 7:53 PM
  • Many of us got caught in their their 'sweep'. Where is the equality? Just saying.

-- Posted by Otoe on Thu, May 22, 2014, at 8:24 PM
  • Epictetus,

I full well know we got caught in the sweep. But life is not always fair. Sooner or later the "Tattlers" will catch themselves in their own trap.

I am not going to report on the things people say or do on here. I am not that petty and am simply going to ignore them. I got caught in the sweep for doing something that many of the holier than thou have done or maybe worse. One of the biggest "Tattlers" of all time once posted the initials for what starts with Laughing and I am going no further than that. I thought at the time, what a way for a lady to act, but then I guess it proves she was no lady.

There are things that obviously should be left unsaid but the minor stuff that goes on for the most part should come as a shock to very few these days. Reporting others is just a way for some of these petty people to get even with posters they do not agree with.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Thu, May 22, 2014, at 8:55 PM
  • Reporting others is just a way for some of these petty people to get even with posters they do not agree with.-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ┴┘ on Thu, May 22, 2014, at 8:55 PM

Wheels: Hopefully the editor can see thru the tattler's revenge reporting.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Thu, May 22, 2014, at 10:11 PM
  • IMO The reason the forum behavior got out of hand was because the moderator was sleeping on the job.

Mr. Miller set very clear rules, if the comment was "flagged" why isn't the paper enforcing them? Isn't that just begging for more bad behavior choices?

Several users appreciated Mr. Miller's stance.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 6:49 AM
  • I do think the moderator is using their judgment to "moderate" flagged comments. Just because you "flag" a comment doesn't mean it has to be deleted. Otherwise you would have 50 moderators.

Some posters here get so upset if you disagree with them or point out how they are wrong.

I appreciate Mr. Miller's stance - especially this part: "Many of you are behaving like playground children, bullying and tattling, and then complaining about the bullying and tattling."

Reread that statement several times and see if you can determine exactly what he is saying.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 6:53 AM
  • "use of asterisks in place of what everybody knows is an expletive may as well be the same thing. We're not going to tolerate f-bombs in our forums, even if the words are abbreviated. Say it with me now: "Stop. The. Profanity.""

Sounds pretty clear to me. The comment -- Posted by Epictetus on Thu, May 22, 2014, at 7:20 PM-- clearly violates the abbreviated profanity rule.

I don't know whether Epictetus flagged the comment, he/she did not say. Now we have one poster quoting the quote, pushing the boundaries... again ... and we are back on the slippery slope, swirling the toilet bowl etc etc etc

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 7:14 AM
  • Dug, your suggestion that Mr. Miller made regarding the bullying and tattling has gone totally over someone's head, that is obvious. I posted the same thing last night. It's that old.... "Don't do as I do, do as I say" from some people that cannot stand to be disagreed with that are a considerable amount of the problem on here.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 8:00 AM
  • "The suit was filed by Sam Ferry, Rich Simpson and Michelle Tyler. All have been critical of the Fox School District, which sent them letters in recent years warning them to tone down their behavior or face legal action.

The letters accused them of "harassing, troublesome and confrontational communications.""

The article really left out many details, such as **who are the three named individuals (parents, teachers, school board members, community members, students)? **What or whom were they being critical of (board members, district in general, a specific board policy, student behavior, federal or state mandate)?

Keeping in mind, if they were critical of the school board members, who are elected-- there is a much, much greater latitude on the definition of 'harassment' when criticizing public officials. Logic, these folks are elected to hear opinions of their constituents.

With regard to the individuals being harassed on Topix; Topix gladly removes offensive comments within 24-72 hours. The three choose to voice their thoughts in public, obviously using their real name... the lash back is the price paid for doing so.

"The Communications Decency Act, which was passed in 1996 to give websites immunity from liability for content posted by users..."

This law needs to be changed. If a business puts up open forums, they should be held responsible for all post on their property. Otherwise, as we have seen in Speak out over the years, post will get out of hand-- there have been physical threats, definite harassment, bullying and it has been reported that there have been a few cases where the harassment has crossed the cyber-line in to real life. All preventable if the owners had truly monitored their website appropriately.

Of course, the above is my opinion.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 4:15 PM
  • If a business puts up open forums, they should be held responsible for all post on their property. -- Posted by maelstrom on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 4:15 PM

IMO, the business should not be liable or responsible for what individuals do. If a man walks into a restaurant and shoots another man, is the restaurant liable? If two people get into a road rage incident on the highway and someone gets injured should the state be liable?

All individuals should be liable, personally, for what they do. Not the business. Yes, I know about the Napster case.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 4:44 PM
  • Dug,

Actually, (using your example) if a man comes in day after day and threatens to shoot, but does not, until the day he does... and the owner does nothing ... for example, not call 911 or make previous police reports, then the owner could be held culpable too.

Your car example is not a fair comparison, as taxpayers own the roadways.

If I own a swimming pool and fail to put a fence around it, I am responsible if some drowns, even if I invited or did not invite them.

If a school knows who threatened to bomb the school and they do nothing to stop it, yes the school is liable.

If I own a diner and an employee has hepatitis, I am liable if he infects patrons via food.

If a friend borrows my gun, telling me he plans to kill his wife... I am responsible if I do not call the police.

If someone gets bit on my property, I am liable even if I had a big sign 'BEWARE of my dog'.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 5:53 PM
  • Point... in many situations property owners ARE responsible for what others choose to do on their property.

"The Communications Decency Act, which was passed in 1996 to give websites immunity from liability for content posted by users..."

This Act is an example of the law NOT keeping up with technology. In 1996, public forums and blogging like these were far and few between.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • -- Posted by maelstrom on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 5:53 PM

Your examples were totally opposite of Dug's...

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, May 23, 2014, at 8:16 PM
  • Reading the last few days, it appears some forgot Mr. Miller's message.

-- Posted by persnickety on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 1:37 PM
  • I think many completely misunderstood what Mr. Miller's message was. But want to use it to silence people.

I guess it depends on what your interpretation is, eh?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 4:30 PM
  • Some will never take responsibility for their own choices.

-- Posted by persnickety on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 5:24 PM
  • ....and some will never grow a spine, thicker skin, and quit living under the politically correct umbrella.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 5:29 PM
  • "Many of you are behaving like playground children, bullying and tattling, and then complaining about the bullying and tattling."

If I'm not mistaken, Bob Miller fessed up to banning a handful of users in the introductory post to this this thread.

-- Posted by miccheck on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 5:16 PM

Yes, and in the quote above taken from Bob Miller's post is where he all but named you.... and you still haven't recognized it.

Tattle some more and even fewer posters will be willing to discuss things with you.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 6:05 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 6:16 PM

You have reported and had posts removed for NO foul language...

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 9:31 PM
  • dug: If I wrote chicken, would that be considered a fowl word?

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 9:46 PM
  • I think it may be more about a foul stance, a foul idea or fowl courage when it comes to recognizing the failures of Forward government.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 10:01 PM
  • dug: If I wrote chicken, would that be considered a fowl word? -- Posted by semo471 on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 9:46 PM

No. But if you call someone a female dog - that might do it! :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Jun 3, 2014, at 10:02 PM
  • Come on now, you HAVE reported posts that did NOT contain foul language.

And they were removed. You claimed you only report those with foul language. According to your daily claims - that is a lie.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 7:46 AM
  • And your lie - "Don't use foul language, and I'll have nothing to report..."

has been corrected. At least you got that cleared up.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 8:27 AM
  • Dug: Tattlers will do what tattlers do best, some folks never grow up......I'm gonna tell on you mentality.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 9:24 AM
  • Dug: Tattlers will do what tattlers do best, some folks never grow up......I'm gonna tell on you mentality.

-- Posted by semo471 on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 9:24 AM

Yep.... and then it becomes one of the cry baby situations where you hear "Why is everybody picking on me?". Boo hoo!

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 9:27 AM
  • Ha! I have noted, that those of like political ideology band together against anyone with an opposing view. Like a group swarm, or hysteria.

I have been like attacked,(insulted, called the opposite, etc.) but choose to ignore the offenders, because I can understand their behavior on another level.

There was a poster, who Rick referred to, that posted long novels with lots of capitalization. I do not believe they are posting now, but they actually attacked on a personal, stalking, physical level. These are the ones who are a concern.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 10:41 AM
  • Twernt you Rick, you have never been nothing but friendly.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Jun 4, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • Why are we even still on this topic. You don't want to post something stay off of here. You want to speak your opinion speak it and exercise your first amendment rights. As far as profanity is concerned I haven't seen any on these forums no worse than what is said on T.V. or Radio on any given day that we all listen too. This includes the profanity used by the media at times so they are not excluded from it either. So let's not play hypocrite here be tough and move on.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 7:22 AM
  • -- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 7:22 AM

swamp: Agree 100%

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 7:38 AM
  • "Why are we even still on this topic."

Why not post on this topic? Who are you to tell others what topic they may or may not post on?

As far as profanity, Mr. Miller set some very clear rules about profanity's use in this forum. You might want to read his post that started this thread.

Don't like the rules, post your comments on other forums, "be tough and move on".

-- Posted by Otoe on Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 3:57 PM
  • -- Posted by Epictetus on Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 3:57 PM

Epictetus, have you ever seen swampeast use profanity?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 4:21 PM

Respond to this thread