Speak Out: Hwy25/Jackson/South Elementary Traffic concerns

Posted by Turnip on Mon, Jun 15, 2009, at 1:11 PM:

I read in the cashbook journal today that a engineering firm had made reccomendations to ease congestion by South Elementary. These included installing a semi-actuated signal (a stoplight that only responds to a car) and adding a roundabout near loading/unloading. I wondered how citizens who actually 'travel' these routes feel or attend these schools felt?

Here is the link if you would like to read the whole article.

http://www.jacksonmo.com/cashbook/

Replies (10)

• No, Rick, I haven't. I don't like the idea of a stoplight, not to meet the needs of this one school. Perhaps widening the road would help, making turning lanes. I'm for making a alternate route to the school, from behind.

-- Posted by Turnip on Mon, Jun 15, 2009, at 9:37 PM
  • Highway 25 is in the hands of MODOT, so we will see what happens.

-- Posted by capecounty on Mon, Jun 15, 2009, at 9:53 PM
  • Let's think about this for a minue. Nobody expected this when they build the school on 25? There needs to be more vision for this when these projects are still on the drawing board. The school district got their building and who is paying to clean up the traffic mess?

If we can just get these kids to take the bus, it would be so much easier and cheaper.

-- Posted by interesting on Tue, Jun 16, 2009, at 8:49 AM
  • Interesting , I've been there to pick a friends son up , more ride POV's than ride the bus I believe.....

-- Posted by rockman54 on Wed, Jun 17, 2009, at 1:42 AM
  • Gosh dang, UCMe, how many times can you 'say' work? We got it; YOU WORK. But what do you think the commuters are doing? They are commuting to and from work & spent time w/their children over breakfast & now need to get to work. Some of those 'parents' are reckless. Creating their own lanes, stopping traffic to let ALL the buses go(illegal, mind you.) There are also many commercial trucks that travel that route. It's really ridiculous, all over a school.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jun 17, 2009, at 10:51 AM
  • What is it with these new schools and the problems that pop up after they are built. Jackson had problems with the new school on the North side and now they are having problems with the new school on the South side. Cape is still finding shortfalls with the new high school.

Don't the school boards and city goverments actually look at these issues before they agree to build? Before they try to send us the bill to fix them.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Fri, Jun 19, 2009, at 8:01 AM
  • Last thing we need is another stoplight,these kids should ride buses or if needed at least carpool.Save a little gas and save lives posssibly!!

-- Posted by marko on Tue, Jun 23, 2009, at 7:17 AM
  • Ok, my children go to South Elementary and at first I did put them on the bus. But since the bus carries children ages 5 - 18 they are exposed to things they don't need to be at such an early age. Language being the main one!

-- Posted by carree5 on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 2:25 PM
  • carree5, that is a excellent point! Thanks for bringing that up.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 2:48 PM
  • Wouldn't it be much easier to build an entrance to the north of the current entrance? Right now, there is only one point of entry and exit. This way parents could enter and drop off their kids and exit at the current entrance/exit point creating a better traffic flow at the school. Of course, the simpliest way would be for parents to put their kids on the bus and quit whining. If students are exposed to something you don't like, complain the the school and hold them accountable.

-- Posted by dgparham on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 3:19 PM

Respond to this thread