Speak Out: Missouri's Nixon on a Spending Binge

Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 2:53 PM:

Two stories out today.

First one Gov. Nixon is talking about doubling the "bright flight" scholarships to $5,000 per qualified college student. He suddenly thinks we have the money to do this and he's going to push.

Second story -- Missouri just purchased property on Current River that the federal government confiscated from an individual over drug sales. WE paid $640,000 in taxpayer money to buy up the property the feds were dumping in a "bid". The state is excited to have the property and mentioned they have other properties they are looking at.

And of course my favorite - Nixon's administration went out and bought a brand new $5.6 Million turbo-prop airplane this year despite the fact that Missouri has 20+ planes that he can use. Surely he's not going to use that plane to campaign on is he?

And of course Nixon wants to expand Medicaid and is pushing the legislature to take the millions in "free" federal money.

He's lost his mind. Whatever middle-of-the-road persona he's tried to present in the past is gone. He's another air-Claire and running to the far left to get his parties endorsement.

And of course his recent push for gay marriage...

Replies (5)

• The local news reported the property was forfeited and they had been wanting that property for some time. Sounds like it was taken as planned for some time.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 4:11 PM
  • "Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Kurt Schaefer said officials likely need to increase resources for Bright Flight" - Bipartisanship? -- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 3:28 PM

Surely that's not the same Kurt Schaefer from Columbia, MO is it? Not the same one whose district include the University of Missouri would it?

Hmmm... I know, it's just a coincidence.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 4:20 PM
  • are none of their representatives allowed an opinion, either? -- Posted by miccheck on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 4:32 PM

You could answer that question yourself since you're the only one that asked it.

Where do "bright flight" dollars go? To high schools or colleges like the University of Missouri?

Does this not fly in the face of liberalism? Are they giving more money to smarter students? That borders on favoring one group over another and using taxpayer dollars to help those that apparently are already smart. Aren't we supposed to help those that aren't smart? I would think that the the Univ. of Missouri would want to offer more scholarships out of THEIR coffers to attract smart students and compete with other schools.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 4:39 PM
  • Spaniard, do other states offer a better deal with bright flight students than Missouri? I honestly don't know.

I do know this - the U of MO does get a tremendous amount of Illinois students. I read an article that said they have 2 full-time recruiters in the Chicago area. I know for fact there are many IL students at the U of MO.

I also read that Missouri's "out of state" tuition is cheaper than Illinois "in state" tuition. Could it simply be a cost choice?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 5:05 PM
  • They got camp ZOE for $1940 an acre? I would have paid that myself if I would have known it was being auctioned but "she that can ruin my life" would not have been happy. I saw it years ago before it was bought by Tebeau. It is beautiful up there.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 5:44 PM

Respond to this thread