Speak Out: Is Syria also the tail wagging the dog?

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Sep 4, 2013, at 8:14 PM:

Just a month away people are going to get a big surprise. Sure would be nice to have something else covering up the anger or at least using up the news time.

"Report: Health Care Premiums To Increase Up To 125% In Wisconsin Due To Obamacare..."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/report-health-care-premiums-increase-125-wis...

Replies (41)

• Right now Syria is the head chasing the tail.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 4, 2013, at 8:56 PM
  • For shame. Suggesting that our president would resort to diversion tactics. He is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate. We must bomb Syria to prevent Syria from bombing Syrians. It is in our best national interest. How many children have to die?

-- Posted by Excitable Boy on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:17 AM
  • This story disappeared rather quickly:

http://www.semissourian.com/story/2000031.html

A comment was posted that used an ad hominem attack against Rep. Smith, which was totally NONHELPFUL and regrettable. Rep. Smith is plenty intelligent, and besides, he's a politician, which is why he is careful with his words. I can't blame him for that.

Please please please please call Rep. Smith and tell his staff you do NOT want us to start a war with Syria!

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:44 AM
  • Representative Smith's office number in Washington, DC:

202-225-4404

Call and tell him to vote against authorization of use of force, limited "surgical" strikes (???), kinetic action, WAR, on Syria!

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:56 AM
  • -- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:56 AM

Thanks GiveMeLiberty. Just made the call.

The tail wagging the dog? Very, very possible.

Top union leaders are decrying Obamacare and it's job killing enactment. Democrats are running from Obamacare. Insurance rates are spiking and employees are getting their hours cut. And this is Obama's "signature" accomplishment that he rammed through with a 1 vote edge.

The world is in chaos and the US position is weak. Obama has made huge mistakes in judgement and decision and this time has painted HIMSELF into a corner. As Ann Coulter said "Oh, how I long for the days when liberals wailed that "the rest of the world" hated America, rather than now, when the rest of the world laughs at us." True.

The fed has worn out "the pump" and is out of options. Fasten your seatbelt for even more inflation than we have now. It's coming. Along with a weaker dollar.

I'm surprised Obama didn't pick on a country like Monaco or something - where there is no military and only a couple of square miles of ground to cover. He doesn't care about chemical weapons or he would have supported Bush on Iraq. He's a liar first and a coward second.

I'd be raising all kinds of war sounds if I were him - to distract from his massive failures. Our country will be set back decades when his term is finally through.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 9:16 AM
  • At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when your plane is crashing, you put the oxygen mask on yourself first!

How will the United States survive to be a force for good, an example, the SANCTUARY of LIBERTY in the world, if we cannot look to saving ourselves before becoming entangled, once again, overseas where it is absolutely unclear to WE the PEOPLE that we have a national interest?

We are broke! We are speeding headlong over the cliff of insolvency with our unsustainable national debt, and the currency is being destroyed by the Fed! Our own government is eavesdropping on everything WE the PEOPLE are saying by phone and email, WITHOUT any regard for the protections afforded in our own founding document, in the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, to which they all took an OATH (except CIA Director John Brennan, who took his oath on an earlier version of the Constitution, WITHOUT THE BILL OF RIGHTS--chew on that for a while.)

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 9:32 AM
  • E-Boy,

Or, Oh Boy not sure here.

You appear to be a very angry person. Seek Counseling!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 10:25 AM
  • 100 years of treating those rouge nations which use chemical weapons as pariahs. .. why resist now? Do you hate our president that much?

-- Posted by Excitable Boy on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 6:59 PM
  • EB

A group of people that hammered W and the republicans (for a war they voted for BTW) saying they have to go to war is laughable. Since they deplored the same type of war this has to be a diversion.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:19 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:38 PM
  • Might this have something to do with the drive to go to war now?

http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2013/09/is-the-united-states-going-to-go-...

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:40 PM
  • Iran is now threatening to kidnap US official's family members and kill the publicly if the U.S. strikes.

It's strange that the only ones that want to help is Al-Qaeda but they want our money also. Al-Qaeda say they will slaughter Christians after we liberate Syria. That just doesn't seem to be the people we want to arm up.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 8:00 PM
  • I just read Robert's link

http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2...

Worth reading IMO, is it really about what it's about?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 8:52 PM
  • I read the course titles... I saw no point in reading the description of the courses. I will bet my Grandkids are not taking those courses because my daughter and son-in-law are fronting the money.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 9:00 PM
  • Wheels, The link on my post is totally different from the one on Robert's. My bad!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 9:18 PM
  • Old John,

Hmmmm!

Well, I read both of them and found both of them informative, so thank you..... I have never screwed up. ;-) Well almost never! :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 9:41 PM
  • At least, not that he would admit it!

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 10:25 PM
  • It will be different this time. Obama means business. These will be precise missile strikes. That isn't war.

Everyday I thank God that we have an honrable man like President Obama leading this great nation. He will do the right thing and history will vindicate his record.

-- Posted by Excitable Boy on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 7:52 AM
  • Here is an idea for a constructive approach to the problem.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/05/mr-obama-youve-already-lost-syrian-war...

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 8:15 AM
  • If this is allowed to proceed, there will be boots on the ground before it is finished. Count on it!

Obama and Kerry are lying!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:01 AM
  • A legitimate reason will be found for boots on the ground in Syria...

-- Posted by *Rick. on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:03 AM

Precisely!

And if a legitimate reason cannot be found.... we can always invent one.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:11 AM
  • Rick,

I don't believe the United States has been in a war in the last 68 years that they went in with the full, all out intention of winning. Go in, get a bunch of people killed, make a little money, increase the size of government agree on a divided country and move on. Those seem to be our primary goals.

Now, we are not going to start a war.... just shoot at them for sport I guess and pull out. I doubt that being the end. There are other egos at play around the world where they have challenged Obama and they may not let him off with a warning when he fires his shot over the bow.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:56 AM
  • 'Boots on the ground' does not mean the same thing in Obamaspeak as it does in every day language. As used by the politicians selling this, 'boots on the ground' means troops in uniform. But the weapons they are talking about using require spotters on the ground (similar to the agents on the rooftop in Benghazi using laser to highlight targets). Make no mistake about it, modern warfare cannot be waged effectively from a distance without someone in harms way.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/03/kerry-wants-option-of-ground-troops-if-syri...

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:59 AM
  • If Congress puts their blessing on this mess, and maybe even if they deny the blessing, Obama is going to get us into a horrible mess. I say "get" rather than "lead" because he is no leader.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 12:17 PM
  • Rick,

Maybe that is why our Leftist Democrats are so quiet the last couple of days.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 1:59 PM
  • I was NO on Iraq....I am NO on Syria.

I was 50/50 on Afghanistan but not for a decade.

My time in service (Nam)was of equal stupidity as Iraq. I used to have a T-shirt that said "Southeast Asia War Games, Second Place".

If you are going to war, quit dickin' around and get the job done. We sacrifice 100 of our people to save one civilian ally. That's BS. Either do it, do it right, or stay the hell out.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 2:11 PM
  • Why are our 'boots on the ground' training al-qeida (sp) in Jordan? Aren't they the enemy?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 6:13 PM
  • Left turn,thanks for your service and what a great t shirt. Another case of old men sending young men to die without a plan to win.

IF Obama gets his way and lobs a few shots into Syria it will do nothing but p*ss them off. If you think videos of gassed women and children was the point of making war just wait till Syria lines up a few hundred of the same to show how the US killed so many civilians. By the time Obama,congress and for that matter,the rest of the world get done diddle f*cking around any target will have been moved or have women and children sitting on top of them. Useless.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 7:37 PM
  • "Go in, get a bunch of people killed, make a little money, increase the size of government agree on a divided country and move on. Those seem to be our primary goals."

Thats it. Like Kuwait. Kick bu** and come home.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 7:59 PM
  • For shame. Suggesting that our president would resort to diversion tactics. He is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate. We must bomb Syria to prevent Syria from bombing Syrians. It is in our best national interest. How many children have to die?

-- Posted by Excitable Boy on Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 7:17 AM

I love your sarcasm.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 8:23 PM
  • Whats a few deaths compared to the greatest American achievement. Obamacare.

Im not the only one that thinks its a diversion.

"White House plans for a health care messaging blitz ahead of Obamacare's rollout have been overshadowed by the president's call to strike Syria, distracting the administration from its plan to focus attention on a litany of domestic issues."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/syria-push-distracts-from-obamacare-and-dems-dont-...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 8:26 PM
  • It is always easier to get into a situation than it is to get out of same situation. And it is seldom that the original goal is accomplished. Always beware of mission creep. And there is always the law of unintended consequences.

Don't forget that we have been in a proxy war with Russia for decades. Obama may feel that he is in a position that requires him to act militarily. Someone else may feel that they must respond. At some point someone will miscalculate and sh** will hit the fan.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 9:17 PM
  • "And it is seldom that the original goal is accomplished."

Robert if there even was a realistic goal in this case. And a plan!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 10:21 PM
  • Robert, Regarding your morning link that talked about unleashing the power of American energy: Didn't Obama say something to the effect that his idea was high energy prices for Americans?

The more I think the more I wonder if Obama's stance on all the spring thaw and turmoil in the middle east is less about freedom and protection of peoples and supporting allies and more about something else.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 12:14 AM
  • OJ,

Here is a part of that speech. At one time I had a link to the entire speech; now all I can find is bits and pieces. It would be interesting to find a transcript of the entire speech rather than cropped portions. Obama supporters may complain that we select portions of the speech and lose the context. If that is so why was the speech not released in it's entirety by democrats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpTIhyMa-Nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/11/02/obama-ill-make-energy-prices-skyrocket/

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 6:10 AM
  • you all need a more productive hobby

-- Posted by notrump on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 6:44 AM
  • -- Posted by *Rick. on Sun, Sep 8, 2013, at 9:51 AM

Obama's waffling around is beginning to make BushII look like a master at decision making.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 8, 2013, at 9:55 AM
  • While he was in the IL state senate? Or after he went to the US Senate in 2005 when we knew there weren't any chemical weapons in Iraq? -- Posted by Spaniard on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 5:30 PM

Why does either matter where he was? Here's the biggest hypocritical quote from Barack Obama in 2002:

"I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power.... The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him.

But I also know that Saddam POSES NO IMMINENT OR DIRECT THREAT to the United States, or to his neighbors...and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history."

So he knows that Saddam is a brutal man. He's not direct threat to the US. Assad is far less a threat or brutal man but we must go to war.

Who would vote 2 times for a clown like this?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Sep 8, 2013, at 12:00 PM
  • It's official. The Obama administration is supplying terrorists including al Qaeda.

"President Obama waived a provision of federal law designed to prevent the supply of arms to terrorist groups to clear the way for the U.S. to provide military assistance to "vetted" opposition groups fighting Syrian dictator Bashar Assad. Some elements of the Syrian opposition are associated with radical Islamic terrorist groups, including al Qaeda."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-waives-ban-on-arming-terrorists-to-allow-aid...

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Sep 16, 2013, at 6:49 PM
  • Or after he went to the US Senate in 2005 when we knew there weren't any chemical weapons in Iraq?

-- Posted by Spaniard on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 5:30 P

Its amazing how he knew while other Democrats thought their were. Did his Muslim buddies get word to him that they had already moved them to other countries?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Sep 17, 2013, at 7:32 PM
  • From your beloved NY Times. Just 2 of 100's of articles on Obama's proposal to invade Syria. You're losing what little credibility you have left. Stick with the name calling - it's all you have left:

"President Obama warned Syria on Monday that it would face American military intervention if there were signs that its arsenal of unconventional weapons was being moved or prepared for use. It was Mr. Obama's first direct threat of force against Syria"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/world/middleeast/obama-threatens-force-against...

============================

"President Obama is prepared to move ahead with a limited military strike on Syria, administration officials said Thursday, despite a stinging rejection of such action by America's stalwart ally Britain and mounting questions from Congress."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/us/politics/obama-syria.html?pagewanted=all

============================

Your positions as of late:

1-The US had little to do with ending Hitler's Reign

2-Germany and Russia did not sign a pact in 1939

3-Obama didn't propose invading Syria

I think even your mentor Obama would disagree with you. But you're a good foot soldier for him.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Sep 18, 2013, at 9:13 AM

Respond to this thread